What is an Onco Score??

blazytracy
blazytracy Member Posts: 157
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have been reading and have come across this and have no idea what it means??? If someone could please help with a somewhat straightforward answer? please. thanks.

Comments

  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    I just
    replied to Calleen asking her what was an Oncotype too, been wondering the same thing!
    Thanks for asking, will be interested to know! So much to learn....
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • lmmo
    lmmo Member Posts: 56
    Cat64 said:

    I just
    replied to Calleen asking her what was an Oncotype too, been wondering the same thing!
    Thanks for asking, will be interested to know! So much to learn....
    Hugz,
    Cathy

    oncotype DX
    Hi, You can google it they have a website that explains everything. Basically the tumor is sent off and given a recurrence score. Mine was 42 very high risk of recurrence even though I was lymph node negative. Neat technology...Hope this helps :-)
    Lisa
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    lmmo said:

    oncotype DX
    Hi, You can google it they have a website that explains everything. Basically the tumor is sent off and given a recurrence score. Mine was 42 very high risk of recurrence even though I was lymph node negative. Neat technology...Hope this helps :-)
    Lisa

    Link to oncotype info
    http://www.genomichealth.com/OncotypeDX/Index.aspx

    This link may be helpful. My recurrence score was 28 (the high end of the middle range) and my oncologist recommended chemo. Now that I'm done with chemo., I'm glad that I did it. Jane
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    BunnyJane said:

    Link to oncotype info
    http://www.genomichealth.com/OncotypeDX/Index.aspx

    This link may be helpful. My recurrence score was 28 (the high end of the middle range) and my oncologist recommended chemo. Now that I'm done with chemo., I'm glad that I did it. Jane

    It's
    A new test that has come out in the last 5 years or so. The Oncotype DX is clinically validated to assess the likelihood of distant recurrence in Women with stage 1 or 2, node negitive, estrogen receptor (ER) positive breast cancer who will be treated with tamoxifen.

    This test came about because the old way used to be if you had breast cancer you automatically recieved chemo. With all the research that has come about the Oncotype test is really a breakthrough. What it does is after the tumor is removed a piece of it is sent to a lab called genomic health. they take the tumor tissue and test 21 genes that's in it. which includes the er pr and her2. All the info is put in the computer which analyzes it and gives it a recurrance score. if you score between 0 and 18 your considered low risk for recurrence. if you score between 19 and 31 your cnsidered intermediate risk. and if you score 32 and above your high risk. This is a new way to help your Oncogist with your treatments.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Calleen said:

    It's
    A new test that has come out in the last 5 years or so. The Oncotype DX is clinically validated to assess the likelihood of distant recurrence in Women with stage 1 or 2, node negitive, estrogen receptor (ER) positive breast cancer who will be treated with tamoxifen.

    This test came about because the old way used to be if you had breast cancer you automatically recieved chemo. With all the research that has come about the Oncotype test is really a breakthrough. What it does is after the tumor is removed a piece of it is sent to a lab called genomic health. they take the tumor tissue and test 21 genes that's in it. which includes the er pr and her2. All the info is put in the computer which analyzes it and gives it a recurrance score. if you score between 0 and 18 your considered low risk for recurrence. if you score between 19 and 31 your cnsidered intermediate risk. and if you score 32 and above your high risk. This is a new way to help your Oncogist with your treatments.

    Thanks I was wondering what
    Thanks I was wondering what this was also.. Currently in treatment and have not come across it.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    onco info & thanks!
    The Dr. wanted my score to see what the best treatment option was. I scored 32 - with E/P positive & her2nu negative and 1 positive lymph node of 12 so he decided chemo (dose-dense or dense-dose) and then tamoxifen for 5 years (or the other one after you've been menopausal for a year) I didn't have radiation though -

    --- why is all this so scarey? I was diagnosed in March 2009 and still have a hard time believing it. I'm done with the chemo and started the tamox. and my hair is peach fuzzy and I'm feeling pretty good but still - it just seems hard to believe - how do you all manage? I know I'm so lucky but I sure never thought I'd be a member of this club!

    --I'm new to this site and I have to say, everyone is absolutely wonderful! Thanks so very much! I read more than I write because I feel like such a newbie - but you all have been great!

    --Jenny
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Calleen said:

    It's
    A new test that has come out in the last 5 years or so. The Oncotype DX is clinically validated to assess the likelihood of distant recurrence in Women with stage 1 or 2, node negitive, estrogen receptor (ER) positive breast cancer who will be treated with tamoxifen.

    This test came about because the old way used to be if you had breast cancer you automatically recieved chemo. With all the research that has come about the Oncotype test is really a breakthrough. What it does is after the tumor is removed a piece of it is sent to a lab called genomic health. they take the tumor tissue and test 21 genes that's in it. which includes the er pr and her2. All the info is put in the computer which analyzes it and gives it a recurrance score. if you score between 0 and 18 your considered low risk for recurrence. if you score between 19 and 31 your cnsidered intermediate risk. and if you score 32 and above your high risk. This is a new way to help your Oncogist with your treatments.

    thanks calleen
    So it is only for women with stage 1 or 2? What about stage 3? Is that really bad??? Cuz that is what I was diagnosed at. I am also 11 node positive, ER positive.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143

    thanks calleen
    So it is only for women with stage 1 or 2? What about stage 3? Is that really bad??? Cuz that is what I was diagnosed at. I am also 11 node positive, ER positive.

    Tracy,
    Well, it is only for women stage 1 and 2 because there is a chance that theses women might not need chemo. Those of us who are stage 3 or who are estrogen receptor negative will most likely need chemo, so there's no need for the test. I had it done anyway, just to make sure my receptors were negative (the first lab said I was ER positive). So, the test isn't made for ER negatives, but I bet no one can beat my score: 60 something!