Is it normal to be utterly exhausted from rads?

Options
Paula1001
Paula1001 Member Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I expected the fatigue with everything else over the past 9 months, but didn't really expect it for the radiation. I had number 21 today, leaving 4 more. I can barely stay awake or walk the dog some days - like today. However, sitting around doing computer stuff for hours makes my legs tense up, and I keep getting keyboard impressions on my forehead, lol.

Is there a particular type of food that would help? Should I force myself to walk more? Any ideas would be appreciated.

And any words of wisdom re Arimidex? I just started that 3 weeks ago? The Herceptin hasn't seemed to cause any difficulties.

Paula

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Yes Paula
    I was sooo exhausted from rads and I think many are. I am still tired although not as bad, and i finished early Aug. Make sure you give yourself time to rest and drink lots of fluids.

Herceptin never causes me any problems at all and I have no real knowledge of Armidex. I wish you all the best!
    Jackie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Yes Paula
    I was sooo exhausted from rads and I think many are. I am still tired although not as bad, and i finished early Aug. Make sure you give yourself time to rest and drink lots of fluids.

Herceptin never causes me any problems at all and I have no real knowledge of Armidex. I wish you all the best!
    Jackie

Rads next on my agenda ...
    I am so sorry that you are exhausted from rads .. I can hardly wait .. just another chapter in our breast cancer journal.

Good luck - drink plenty of fluids ...

Regards,

VickiSam
  • Paula1001
    Options
    rjjj said:

Yes Paula

Jackie

Thanks
    That's good to know. Especially that it will/could be ongoing. They are doing such a large area, from my side to nearly the sternum and from the clavicle down to midlung. It's good to have realistic expectations.
    Thanks!
    Paula
  • Paula1001
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Rads next on my agenda ...
    I am so sorry that you are exhausted from rads .. I can hardly wait .. just another chapter in our breast cancer journal.

Good luck - drink plenty of fluids ...

Regards,

VickiSam

another chapter
    Rads is the last big event. The Herceptin and Arimidex aren't a big deal by comparison to the 1st chemo and surgery and 2nd type of chemo.

Rads is the last big hurdle. Good luck to you.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Paula1001 said:

Thanks
    That's good to know. Especially that it will/could be ongoing. They are doing such a large area, from my side to nearly the sternum and from the clavicle down to midlung. It's good to have realistic expectations.
    Thanks!
    Paula

Hi Paula,

I read that walking 30 mins. during treatment will help the treatment work better whether it is chemo or rads (from the book Anti Cancer). However if you are really tired as I was at week 4, listen to your body and get rest. Enough with being a hero, our bodies are telling us what we need in order to get throught this ordeal. It will be over before you know it.

Roseann
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Rest when you are tired! Radiation doesn't just zap your skin...the fatigue is also cumulative, so it may last after your treatment is completed. I am almost a year out, and I still fade, sometimes. Just listen to your body. I am taking Arimidex. It makes my joints achey and my fingers stiff, but it's not unbearable. xoxoxox Lynn