PLEASE HELP

Options
animallover2
animallover2 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a question I need answered since I do not know too many ladies out there who have had a bilateral mastectomy with tramp flap reconstruction who carry the BRACA 1 mutated gene.

The question is "Do you need a mammogram yearly after removal of your breasts"? My doctors said NO, but I have now met others who DO get yearly mammograms after this type of surgery. I was just wondering because I now have another lump in my scar line that needs to biopsied.

I'd like to know others opinion on this question. Thank you.

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    I wish I could answer your
    I wish I could answer your question, but I have not had reconstruction - I'm flat as a pancake. I do want you to know that about 6 months after completion of rads I found a little lump on my scar line. My surgeon removed it and 2 others and they were benign nodules (scar tissue). Whew! xoxoxo Lynn
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Hmmm
    I think a Mammogram would be tuff, but possibly an Ultrasound? I don't know, but I would hope they would check you somehow, as they can never completely remove all the breast tissue. Pammy
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    I had my right breast
    I had my right breast removed, and when I went to get a mammogram they only did my left breast. I did not have the tram flap surgery, i still have an expander in
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    I have had a lumpectomy on one side and a mastectomy on the right when I went for my mammo they only did the lumpectomy side the other side was not done. I do have an breast implant on the side I had the mastectomy on.

RE
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    MRI?
    animal lover,

i'm not sure about the tramp flap reconstruction, but with silicone implants, my doctor told me that I'd need to have a chest MRI to check for cancer, no more mammograms.
  • animallover2
    animallover2 Member Posts: 6
    Options

MRI?
    animal lover,

i'm not sure about the tramp flap reconstruction, but with silicone implants, my doctor told me that I'd need to have a chest MRI to check for cancer, no more mammograms.

Thanks for the quick replies
    Thank you ladies for responding. I still really do not have my question answered. Maybe in different parts of the USA they do things different. I live in the Midwest, Illinois. My friend who had the same surgery as me one month later in 1999 lives in New Jersey and she always has had a mammogram during the past ten years. She reoccurred in her scar line and the doctors didn't know what to do with her because her case was so rare. I am almost as flat as a pancake and don't know how they could possibly do a mammogram on me.
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    Options

Thanks for the quick replies
    Thank you ladies for responding. I still really do not have my question answered. Maybe in different parts of the USA they do things different. I live in the Midwest, Illinois. My friend who had the same surgery as me one month later in 1999 lives in New Jersey and she always has had a mammogram during the past ten years. She reoccurred in her scar line and the doctors didn't know what to do with her because her case was so rare. I am almost as flat as a pancake and don't know how they could possibly do a mammogram on me.

always do self exams
    I have had a bi-lateral with expanders - I am opting for the saline implants which means I will not need to have the MRI's to check for leaks - if saline leaks it just deflated and is absorbed by the body as opposed to silicone. I was told I will not need mammos - nothing there to mammo - However, this is not to say that I won't need a periodic MRI to check for reoccurence - everyone's situation is different - thats the one thing I learned from the experience - if you are not comfortable with your doctors orders, get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion and make sure you are going to a reputable cancer center. In any event, never never never stop giving yourself monthly exams - get familiar with your scar tissue and what it feels like; this way you will be able to identify anything new. I found my own tumor that was only 3 mm - this is very small like a beebee - the MRI didn't even pick it up. I am a very big proponent of self exams!!!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

always do self exams
    I have had a bi-lateral with expanders - I am opting for the saline implants which means I will not need to have the MRI's to check for leaks - if saline leaks it just deflated and is absorbed by the body as opposed to silicone. I was told I will not need mammos - nothing there to mammo - However, this is not to say that I won't need a periodic MRI to check for reoccurence - everyone's situation is different - thats the one thing I learned from the experience - if you are not comfortable with your doctors orders, get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion and make sure you are going to a reputable cancer center. In any event, never never never stop giving yourself monthly exams - get familiar with your scar tissue and what it feels like; this way you will be able to identify anything new. I found my own tumor that was only 3 mm - this is very small like a beebee - the MRI didn't even pick it up. I am a very big proponent of self exams!!!

I would think they would do
    I would think they would do an ultrasound or an MRI or both, as you can still get breast cancer even with a mastectomy. Good luck!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm,
    I am thinking that a yearly MRI would be in order. Yes, a chest wall recurrence is rare but happens. With your BRCA 1 status, I would think they might recommend the MRIs. I am not BRCA 1 positive, but still high risk due to tumor characteristics and age. So, I am scheduled for yearly MRIs. Hope you find answers.