Whats your favorite style hat?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
If you wear hats, what kind do you like? I have a chubby face and flat head and I don't know what style to consider. I'm not a hat person. Never wear them. Any suggestions about scarves, too? I'm afraid what to do if the wigs don't work out. I have several of them.

Comments

  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Hats/kerchiefs
    Laurissa,

    I ordered several styles of hats from ACS' tlc site, and I think I look especially cute :-) in their Cotton Conductor's Hat (http://www.tlcdirect.org/products/sku-8007__dept-29.html). It's not too poofy, and the brim is not too big, neither of which I like. I actually just ordered my second one in a different color.

    I've NEVER been a hat person either, so just had to try a few styles to see what I like. I discovered that baseball caps make my round face look like a big fat beach ball, but "cloche" and "conductor"-style hats look good on me.

    As for scarves, I'm all thumbs, so was afraid I might injure myself if I tried to tie one on my head. :-) I discovered tlc's "kerchiefs" (http://www.tlcdirect.org/subcategory/dept-24__show-all.html), which are like pre-shaped scarves with ties. I have several of them, and really like them.

    For what it's worth, I never considered wearing a wig -- it just seemed like way too much trouble. And I'm proud of my fight against this disease, and didn't really want to hide it. I wear a hat or kerchief when I'm outside, to protect my head from the sun, but go "naked" indoors, including at work, shopping, etc. That's just how I've approached it -- of course, every women feels differently, and I completely respect that.

    Traci
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    TraciInLA said:

    Hats/kerchiefs
    Laurissa,

    I ordered several styles of hats from ACS' tlc site, and I think I look especially cute :-) in their Cotton Conductor's Hat (http://www.tlcdirect.org/products/sku-8007__dept-29.html). It's not too poofy, and the brim is not too big, neither of which I like. I actually just ordered my second one in a different color.

    I've NEVER been a hat person either, so just had to try a few styles to see what I like. I discovered that baseball caps make my round face look like a big fat beach ball, but "cloche" and "conductor"-style hats look good on me.

    As for scarves, I'm all thumbs, so was afraid I might injure myself if I tried to tie one on my head. :-) I discovered tlc's "kerchiefs" (http://www.tlcdirect.org/subcategory/dept-24__show-all.html), which are like pre-shaped scarves with ties. I have several of them, and really like them.

    For what it's worth, I never considered wearing a wig -- it just seemed like way too much trouble. And I'm proud of my fight against this disease, and didn't really want to hide it. I wear a hat or kerchief when I'm outside, to protect my head from the sun, but go "naked" indoors, including at work, shopping, etc. That's just how I've approached it -- of course, every women feels differently, and I completely respect that.

    Traci

    Also...
    Be sure to request your free headwrap or scarf from Laurie at FranceLuxe (http://www.franceluxe.com/i/goodwishesscarves/Good+Wishes+Scarves.html). They will send a free silk headwrap or scarf to any woman going through cancer treatment -- I and many of the women on this board have received one, and you get to choose from the most beautiful prints.

    Traci
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    LAURISSA
    I too do not wear hats. I've never been a hat person. We'll see what the winter brings. I found some cute scarves that have elastic in the back to prevent slipping they are fitted and have ties in the back also. I wear them around the house. I only wear my wig when I go out. Hugs, Diane
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    chickad52 said:

    LAURISSA
    I too do not wear hats. I've never been a hat person. We'll see what the winter brings. I found some cute scarves that have elastic in the back to prevent slipping they are fitted and have ties in the back also. I wear them around the house. I only wear my wig when I go out. Hugs, Diane

    Laurissa
    You are very pretty, You'll look good in anything!......I got loads of scarves from Claires' fancy things with gold or silver threads running through them. Hell, they made ME feel good. (well as good as one can)

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    At MSTI (Mountain States
    At MSTI (Mountain States Tumor Institute), there is a "wig room" with all kinds of wigs, hats, and scarves. I tried on all kinds of styles and decided against wigs, but over time I did pick out 2 really cute hats. My head was always so cold at night!

    Then friends gave me beautiful hats and scarves. One of my favorites is a silk scarf (cut from a sari) that a friend bought in Boston. Old sari's are sent to a craft guild in India. They are cut into scarves and sent back to the US and sold at fair trade prices. The scarf is gorgeous. Another friend gave me a scarf from Africa. My daughter sent me a gorgeous scarf from Germany. I bought a skull patterned doorag at Walmart. The rad folks really got a kick out of that one, as did my students. You can go online to learn scarf wrapping techniques. It was really interesting to learn how similarly Orthodox Jewish women and Muslim women approach covering their heads.

    The hair(less) thing is going to be OK and something to play with. You can do it. xoxoxox Lynn
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Than you all
    I think I'm going nuts looking at wigs and styles, trying to pick ones that will look ok. It keeps my mind busy, too. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and the lady told me how to care for them-regular shampoo, conditioner, hairspray. She's a beautitian for 40 years and styles wigs, too. They also have Tea Tree Oil for nails. I'm still undecided about hats and scarves.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    laurissa said:

    Than you all
    I think I'm going nuts looking at wigs and styles, trying to pick ones that will look ok. It keeps my mind busy, too. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and the lady told me how to care for them-regular shampoo, conditioner, hairspray. She's a beautitian for 40 years and styles wigs, too. They also have Tea Tree Oil for nails. I'm still undecided about hats and scarves.

    hats
    we are going through the same thing.I have so many hats ,scarfs and 2 wigs.And still don,t know which one,s i will wear if any.I am going to try to stop thinking about it so much.I am driving myself crazy trying to fiquer it out.i think I will wait and see what works for me when I loss my hair soon.Good luck.(Pat).
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Trying on some hats
    Laurissa,

    You may want to go to Macy's or Wal-Mart or Target or any store that carries hats and just try some on. Then, you'll know what kind you like the best, and which ones you know you don't like at all so when you look at the catalogues mentioned, you will at least have some idea which ones are options and which are not.

    Just a thought!

    Best wishes,
    dh
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    TraciInLA said:

    Also...
    Be sure to request your free headwrap or scarf from Laurie at FranceLuxe (http://www.franceluxe.com/i/goodwishesscarves/Good+Wishes+Scarves.html). They will send a free silk headwrap or scarf to any woman going through cancer treatment -- I and many of the women on this board have received one, and you get to choose from the most beautiful prints.

    Traci

    Thank you
    Traci for this tidbit of info. I went online and sent an email out to Laurie. I'm registered for a Look Good/Feel Good program on 10/22. I decided I was going even if I had to take time off from work. It's at 1:00 in the afternoon but I am looking forward to it. I'm also going to the ACS office to look at wigs and prosthetics. Since I had a bilateral with no reconstruction I'm trying to figure out what I want after the swelling and tenderness goes away. Looking at them online is difficult to judge. The Big Island doesn't have a shop. I'm tempted to fly over to Oahu for a day to check out the few places that sell them there. Lola
  • karen0423
    karen0423 Member Posts: 67
    Hi- I did get a wig but
    Hi- I did get a wig but didn't wear it too much. I wore a bandanna to work for the most part, all different colors to match my outfit, and it was more comfortable for me. I did wear a baseball cap to go to the store and bought them at the hospital (they didn't have the "opening" in the back). You will decide what you are more comfortable in and wear what you feel okay with. It is all about you and your journey.
  • billsgal
    billsgal Member Posts: 15
    Whats your favorite style hat?
    Hi Laurissa, I have gotten my hats at Macy's and I love them. They have a peak and have kind of a tall crown to them. They are not floppy, but hold their shape and are waterproof. Whenever I wear them, everyone tells me how cute they look on me. I think they would look especially lovely on you with your face shape. Good luck in finding something you like!
    Carolyn
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    billsgal said:

    Whats your favorite style hat?
    Hi Laurissa, I have gotten my hats at Macy's and I love them. They have a peak and have kind of a tall crown to them. They are not floppy, but hold their shape and are waterproof. Whenever I wear them, everyone tells me how cute they look on me. I think they would look especially lovely on you with your face shape. Good luck in finding something you like!
    Carolyn

    Hats
    Before I started chemo I ordered several of the soft cotten hats, a couple of scarves and a denim "bucket hat" ... so that I would be prepared for "the day." As it turned out ... every time I tried to tie a scarf I just about strangled myself and quite got the hang of it. I never managed to come up with the pretty things they showed in the catalogs. I even tried the following the online videos and that didn't help. Just too uncoordinated I guess.

    I tried some of those "already tied" things but I work full time and they seemed to bother me every time I had to answer the phone. Kept sliding around over my ears etc. I tried on a couple of wigs but felt like I had a bathing cap on. So ... I lived in my cute little denim bucket hat. Six months! But ... I really grew quite attached to it. It covered the whole bald head and even came down over my forhead enough that they bald eyebrow area was obvious.

    I did use one of those soft cotten hats to sleep in though on cool nights.

    As with everything else dealing with breast cancer, side effects and how we deal with things ... what you do with your baldness is going to be your choice ... and who knows ... you may be one of the lucky ones who can tie those scarves so they'll look like the pictures! Good luck!

    hugs.
    teena
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Laurissa
    I was never a hat person either. I have been wearing "headwraps" that are already tied and all you do is put them on. I ordered mine on line at 4women.com. I wear these to work. Away from work, I wear a ball cap. When I'm at home, I run around with my bald head gleaming. My family doesn't care and it's actually the most comfortable. I never bought a wig. I tried a couple of them on but they were too uncomfortable for me. Good luck!!