name of mouth wash we can use

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,I know it sounds silly but warm salt water makes me sick at my stomach.Is their something eles we can use to rince our mouth out?Thank you.

Comments

• Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    I use baking soda, has very
    I use baking soda, has very little taste if any at all. Hope this helps.
    Deb
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Baking soda, too
    I was told to rinse out my mouth with baking soda (1 teaspoon to 1 cup water) 3 times a day while on chemo. It really helps keep your mouth clean and does wonders for you teeth. I had the whitest teeth while on chemo.

Mimi
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    ppurdin
    do you have mouth sores,or do you just want to use a mouthwash?If you have mouth sores,these ladies already gave you great advice or you can use what they call I think"magic wash". Your onc can write you out a script for it and you can get it filled at the pharmacy.
    If you just want a mouthwash,they prefer that you use something that doesn't have alcohol in it like Crest ProHealth or Oasis or Biotene.When going through chemo,one of the ses can be dry mouth and Oasis and Biotene are good for helping you with that!
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Biotene
    In addition to using a mixture of salt and baking soda (I think 1/2 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp baking soda to 8 oz. of water) and swishing 4 times a day, my onc recommended Biotene toothpaste and Biotene mouthwash. It's relatively expensive - like $7 -$8 for a tube of paste and a large bottle of mouthwash, but it contains no alcohol and therefore is soothing and refreshing on your sore mouth tissues. This regime worked for me. I hope it would work for you. Good luck. Hugs, Marilynn
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    biotene... you can buy it in
    biotene... you can buy it in drug store... and also helps with the cotton mouth chemo causes
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    e_hope said:

biotene... you can buy it in
    biotene... you can buy it in drug store... and also helps with the cotton mouth chemo causes

I know what you mean
    Pat, I know what you mean about warm salt water when your stomach is off -- ick. My oncologist recommended Biotene, which so far has kept mouth sores mostly away for me, and also helps with the cotton mouth, like e_hope said. Also, Biotene has a mild mint taste, which would probably be all right with your stomach.

Traci
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

I know what you mean
    Pat, I know what you mean about warm salt water when your stomach is off -- ick. My oncologist recommended Biotene, which so far has kept mouth sores mostly away for me, and also helps with the cotton mouth, like e_hope said. Also, Biotene has a mild mint taste, which would probably be all right with your stomach.

Traci

Mouth wash
    Walgreens sells a product called "Prevention", which is formulated specifically for oncology patients. If I remember correctly, it's about the same cost as Biotene.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    mouth wash
    Thanks everyone,I appriatte it.I don,t have mouth sore,s .Just a little tenderness.I will try the soda till I get one of the mouth washes you suggested.The mint flavor sounds like it would work for me.Thanks everyone.Have a great weekend,As for me my white blood count is two low.I will be staying home reading a book.Love and prayers.(Pat).
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    ppurdin said:

mouth wash
    Thanks everyone,I appriatte it.I don,t have mouth sore,s .Just a little tenderness.I will try the soda till I get one of the mouth washes you suggested.The mint flavor sounds like it would work for me.Thanks everyone.Have a great weekend,As for me my white blood count is two low.I will be staying home reading a book.Love and prayers.(Pat).

Try Tea Tree Oil
    I used this last time I got a few mouth sores...you can get at health food store, walgreens or GNC..something like that. You have to dilute, like 4 or 5 drops to a cup but it works! Worked great to heal and relieve pain..I have been using for prevention this time. Good luck...also, you can ask your doc for a prescription mouthwash. It works too.
  • lmmo
    lmmo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Sam726 said:

Try Tea Tree Oil
    I used this last time I got a few mouth sores...you can get at health food store, walgreens or GNC..something like that. You have to dilute, like 4 or 5 drops to a cup but it works! Worked great to heal and relieve pain..I have been using for prevention this time. Good luck...also, you can ask your doc for a prescription mouthwash. It works too.

mouth wash
    Magic mouth is a prescription concoction for numbing the mouth. For sores, Oragel Antiseptic Mouthwash for sores works real well.
    Lisa
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    lmmo said:

mouth wash
    Magic mouth is a prescription concoction for numbing the mouth. For sores, Oragel Antiseptic Mouthwash for sores works real well.
    Lisa

Love the pic!
    Love the picture, Lisa! Pammy
  • lmmo
    lmmo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Love the pic!
    Love the picture, Lisa! Pammy

Pammy
    Thank you!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    lmmo said:

mouth wash
    Lisa

That's what it's called-
    not magic wash-thanks Lisa!Nice picture...
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Good Suggestions
    The products everyone has suggested will work. I am currently using Perodoxl made by Colgate and I also use Prevention. Perodoxl keeps the sores down and Prevention sooths the sores. I am going to try the Oral Gel Rinse, though. It is sold at walmart.

If your sores get bad, you may need a prescription. I take Famclovir everyday to keep the sores at bay. They were pretty bad. Open bloody sores and painful every time you ate or drank something. With the scrip, they are virtually gone.

Good Luck.

P
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Pat
    I was on ac then taxol herceptin. I do baking soda and salt water 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt water in 8 oz warm water. Doing 3 times per day prevented the sores which I did get about 2 wks into my treatment. Once I started the rinses I never got another one.

Hang in there girl...by the way what chemo drugs are you getting???

Hugs
    Linda T
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    I think I'm going to try the
    I think I'm going to try the salt and baking soda first, it's free. Then if that doesn't work, I'll try Prevention mouthwash like my nurse said. I've never had mouth sores in my life and dread when it happens, if it does.