Can chemo be given without having surgery to the breast?

MGNS
MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have recently been diagnosed with Stage 2 ductal carcinoma. I discovered a small hard lump under my arm and had it removed. It came back positive and that is how I was diagnosed. I have since had two biopsies on the breast to pinpoint the area it is coming from and schduled to have a lumpectomy with lymph node removal. Doctor just called and said that second biopsy still came back negative and now I am to have an MRI to try to pinpoint the exact spot the cells are coming from in my breast before any surgery is done. I'm just wondering if MRI comes back inconclusive if lymph nodes can be removed and no surgery on breast but go ahead and have chemo. Anyone familiar with such a procedure?
I appreciate any information at this time.

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sorry MGNS
    I don't know what to tell you. Don't know if someone else on here will be able to help you or if you will have to ask a doctor...
    Welcome,by the way.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Sorry MGNS
    I don't know what to tell you. Don't know if someone else on here will be able to help you or if you will have to ask a doctor...
    Welcome,by the way.

My MRI was negative, however I had Stage III after mastectomy
    Hi and welcome,
    Talk to your breast surgeon and go for a second opinion. Have you done PET/CT Scan?
    I can share my experience. I discovered a lump under arm when i was taking a shower. My Mammogram showed 1.2x1.8 cm mass, MRI was negative, I had surgical biopsy 4x4 and did not get clear margins. I decided on mastectomy and it ended as 10.0 cm tumor plus 10 out 21 lymph nodes were positive.
    It is my understating if your nodes have been positive you need to make a very serious decision weather or not you should avoid surgical procedure and systemic Chemo or try to eliminate cancer by all available means.

Good luck