Arimidex and Vitamin D

JudyAS
JudyAS Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I just got some info from a friend and I want to know if anyone else has ever heard of this.
As you know from my first letter that I was on Arimidex and after 36 days I had to go off it.
I could not take the joint pain, I got to where I could not hardly get up out of a chair, my ankles and hips hurt so bad, plus a lot of other pains. Anyway, this friend of mine talked to her neighbor who had breast cancer 5 years ago. She is just now going off Arimidex, but said that she went through the same pains and anguish as I was going through. She told her doctor she could not take that medication so he put her on a massive dose 50,000mg of
Vitamin D and within a few weeks the symptoms started going away. Has anyone out there heard about this and if so I would like to hear from you. I am not taking the Arimidex right now, but go back to my medical oncologist on Oct. 19 and I want to know before I go back.
Hugs To You All, Judy

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Interesting
    Hi Judy,

I am taking vitamin D and glucosamine chondroitin and started taking it immediately after my radiation for a few weeks before they started me on Arimidex. I am not taking massive doses of Vitamin D but I take 1000 ius at night along with the chondroitin and calcium. I had read somewhere that that would help with the side effects. I have very mild side effects. No joint issues at all but some menapausal stuff like night sweats and mood swings. Don't know for sure if the vitamins have helped but I'm going to continue using them. The amazing thing is that my neck and hips were slightly arthritic and no longer hurt.

My oncologist does not think the vitamins make a difference but she also said I would have joint pain...most of her patients do.

We really have to do our own research. Good luck.

Roseann
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Vitamin D, you betcha'
    I certainly have heard about taking Vitamin D for the bone pain. Cabbott, who used to post quite regularly on these boards, talked about being tested for Vitamin D levels and based upon the results, asking your oncologist to prescribe Vitamin D if your levels were low. If my memory (chemo brain you know) serves me right, she took it and it did alleviate the severity of her joint pain. I also think she did yoga. You may be able to find the string for her posts. She is a very interesting contributor to these boards. When I see her name, I make sure to read what she has written. Same thing with Phoenixrising. Another sharpie.

Because of my problems with Arimidex, I had my vitamin D levels checked, but they were normal so my oncologist told me to continue taking 1000 mg of calcium with Vitamin D (equalling 800 mg daily).

You may want to talk to your oncologist about testing your Vitamin D levels. I know how important it is to take AI's, and believe me, I'm trying to do what I can - I'm off Arimidex right now but am going to start Femara in two weeks. Wish me luck.

Hang in there. Hugs, Marilynn
  • JudyAS
    JudyAS Member Posts: 48
    mgm42 said:

Vitamin D, you betcha'
    I certainly have heard about taking Vitamin D for the bone pain. Cabbott, who used to post quite regularly on these boards, talked about being tested for Vitamin D levels and based upon the results, asking your oncologist to prescribe Vitamin D if your levels were low. If my memory (chemo brain you know) serves me right, she took it and it did alleviate the severity of her joint pain. I also think she did yoga. You may be able to find the string for her posts. She is a very interesting contributor to these boards. When I see her name, I make sure to read what she has written. Same thing with Phoenixrising. Another sharpie.

Because of my problems with Arimidex, I had my vitamin D levels checked, but they were normal so my oncologist told me to continue taking 1000 mg of calcium with Vitamin D (equalling 800 mg daily).

You may want to talk to your oncologist about testing your Vitamin D levels. I know how important it is to take AI's, and believe me, I'm trying to do what I can - I'm off Arimidex right now but am going to start Femara in two weeks. Wish me luck.

Hang in there. Hugs, Marilynn

Thanks Marilynn you have
    Thanks Marilynn you have been such a big help to me in trying so hard to hang in there. I still have the infection and bleeding in the surgery area so don't know what the oncology doctor will say when he see's that. I have now been on 500mg of Keflex 4 times a day for 10 days and have 10 more days to go. I don't think it will ever clear up. So I wonder if he will start me on another drug? But the vitamins, right now I am taking Calcium with Vitamin D and will continue. But this lady said her doctor put her on 50,000mg of V-D. Is that a lot? But I will do anything to get well and I know you will too. Good luck on taking the Femara and I hope you have good results. Keep me posted.

Hugs Judy
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    JudyAS said:

Thanks Marilynn you have
    Thanks Marilynn you have been such a big help to me in trying so hard to hang in there. I still have the infection and bleeding in the surgery area so don't know what the oncology doctor will say when he see's that. I have now been on 500mg of Keflex 4 times a day for 10 days and have 10 more days to go. I don't think it will ever clear up. So I wonder if he will start me on another drug? But the vitamins, right now I am taking Calcium with Vitamin D and will continue. But this lady said her doctor put her on 50,000mg of V-D. Is that a lot? But I will do anything to get well and I know you will too. Good luck on taking the Femara and I hope you have good results. Keep me posted.

Hugs Judy

Don't Know
    Judy, I don't know about dosages of prescription Vitamin D. I think that's something that you should find out from your oncologist once you've had the blood work done and were found to be deficient. I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to vitamins or over-the-counter meds, I'm always very, very cautious. Since my bc, I always check with my oncologist before I take anything because I think my system has undergone a change since chemo and I don't want to take any unnecessary chances. Please hang in there.

Hugs, Marilynn