No reconstruction

Fran1947
Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else out there opted not to have reconstruction? I am pretty firm in my decision, but I can't help but second guess myself from time to time. I don't particularly like my prosthesis, but can't see having surgery. Actually I wish I'd gone ahead and had the double - then I could just wear a cami and forget the whole thing!

Fran

Comments

  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I did have a bilateral - I'm
    I did have a bilateral - I'm all for symmetry, but I still go back and forth about reconstruction...I am such a wimp. So, even if you had a bilateral, you'd still have the quandary! : ) xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    lynn1950 said:

    I did have a bilateral - I'm
    I did have a bilateral - I'm all for symmetry, but I still go back and forth about reconstruction...I am such a wimp. So, even if you had a bilateral, you'd still have the quandary! : ) xoxoxoxo Lynn

    I hear you
    Hi Lynn,

    I hear you! When I think about having a second mastectomy I not only think about not having to worry about prosthetics I also think about getting double reconstruction! It's really tough to make these decisions when there is so much else going on in my head and in my heart!

    I'm finding this group to be very good for me - all of the stuff that was just rolling around inside gets articulated - either by me or by someone else who is feeling the same. It is very helpful.

    Thanks,

    Fran
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Choices
    Hello Fran, its nice to meet you even though I do wish you did not have to be here. I was just like you for two years after having my mastectomy. I was positive I would not have the reconstruction because I did not want any further surgeries. As it turned out with time I changed my mind because I did not much like my prosthesis either (the darned thing flipped on me in the grocery store, that was the defining moment for me.)

    To help me determine if I truly wanted to dive into reconstruction I went to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reconstruction. He gave me all my options and clearly explained it all to me. I choose the surgery that would be easiest on my body which for me was to have the expander's put in then the implant put in. I can honestly say I am very glad I did it.
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Opted for bilateral
    I too opted for a bilateral with no reconstruction. while my decision may have been different at age 30 to 50, I just felt that at age 60 I could cope just fine. Probably one of the most deciding factors for me was the example set by my mother. She lived 40 years with grace, dignity and prosthetics for breasts following her double mastectomy. I know some of the old styles weren't the nicest but that didn't seem to make any difference to her. For BC survivorship, she is my mentor and hero. On the lighter side, it so much nicer to be a C cup instead of DD and as I continue on my weight loss journey, I can chose to be even smaller if I want! Lola
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Tattoos
    One idea that is floating around in my head is to have a rose vine tattoo over and around my scar - and if I do decide to go for a second mastectomy, the vine could go all the way across. Now I sincerely doubt I would ever actually do this - but the idea appeals to me!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Fran1947 said:

    Tattoos
    One idea that is floating around in my head is to have a rose vine tattoo over and around my scar - and if I do decide to go for a second mastectomy, the vine could go all the way across. Now I sincerely doubt I would ever actually do this - but the idea appeals to me!

    Hi, I had a partial mas that left me with opposing directional headlamps. I now wear a padded bra and prosthesis, but it makes me sad every morning to adjust that thing. I am considering having the 'High' nipple taken off but a good friend advised me to go for reduction on the good one or a build up on the mutant...............I don;'t know what to do..... I don't want more surgery but I don't like being this obviously deformed especially in the summer months (Skimpy T-Shirts).........Any advice gratefully recieved..........thanks all... Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    tasha_111 said:

    Hi, I had a partial mas that left me with opposing directional headlamps. I now wear a padded bra and prosthesis, but it makes me sad every morning to adjust that thing. I am considering having the 'High' nipple taken off but a good friend advised me to go for reduction on the good one or a build up on the mutant...............I don;'t know what to do..... I don't want more surgery but I don't like being this obviously deformed especially in the summer months (Skimpy T-Shirts).........Any advice gratefully recieved..........thanks all... Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Tasha, did you read the post
    Tasha, did you read the post about my friend "What do you think about this" she has a deliema also.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I'm just like you. I had
    I'm just like you. I had only a right modified radical. I don't bother with a prosthesis. I go lopsided. Sometimes I wish I'd talked the surgeon into a double but he insisted it wasn't necessary. So I've decided to just go natural. No reconstruction, sigh. I found the concept of distraction to work. Wear different socks, odd hats, or don't comb my hair and it keeps their eyes off the area. Or I wear baggy tops. At my age it doesn't matter. I've found no one looks anyway.
  • cheyennedawn
    cheyennedawn Member Posts: 70
    I decided not to do the
    I decided not to do the reconstruction. It is a pain wearing the prosthesis, though, and like you, I wonder why I didn't just insist on doing the other one too. Seems easier to me, than dealing with the one boob. Oh, well. At this point in time, I don't regret my decision. I have another lump in my right breast now, that turned out to be a cyst, but we are keeping a close eye on it. I may end up having the other breast taken off to. Not sure how I would feel about it if that has to happen. But, I don't know, it seems like a nice thought to be able to go with just a cami or tank and not have to worry about anything "flopping" around! :)