Options
2»

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    lmliess said:

My 2 cents
    I am sorry to hear about your issues. For what it is worth, I am 38 and 6 monthes out from my colostomy surgery. At first ?I was a bit depressed. I knew this was saving my life but I thought how am I going to pull this off so no one knows? How am I ever going to be able to dress 'in style' again? Well...tonight my husband and I went to a wine tasting event. I got dressed up and even wore a fitted dress. No one knew about the ostomy! The appliances they have know are wonderful in being discreet. And it is amazing how a pair of tights under a dress can slim you! The thing is you do heal over time and you get used to it. it just becomes part of you. I have a love/hate relationship with mine...well I can't say i hate it, it just annoys me at times. But then again I can go anywhere and do anything and not be confined to a bathroom. I am starting to get more active so i can honestly say this has not held me back at all. And i work full time and no one even knows at work. So in my opinion, I would take that over running to and from the bathroom. just allow yourself to get used to it with time. My husband has even mentioned he can't tell and sometimes forgets (weird I know?) that I have one.
    Hang in there!!

Thanks
    I am really OK with the decision. I would have been OK at the time of my resection as well, but the surgeon truly thought he was doing the right thing for me. I appreciate all the input. I do have a question though. Right now the diarrhea is horrendous. Does that eventually go away once you have the ostomy? I realize certain fibers and foods would trigger it, but currently it doesn't matter what I eat, the result is the same.

Vicki