I need a further understanding

Options
expresslove
expresslove Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I am 21 years old and I have recently been diagnosed with a phyllodes tumor in my left breast. My first biopsy result stated that the tumor was benign tumor and so my doctor told me not to worry, but that I would have to undergo surgery. Once I saw my surgeon she told me about the two types of tumors it could be and told me no one could really tell me what it truly was until after the surgery. I have already had my lumpectomy, and after a second opinion, my results came back. I was told they are going to classify it as malignant. While the doctor (my surgeon is away at the moment) was explaining this to me, I had a hard time understanding what exactly is going on. It was a moment where I could hear words but not comprehend them very well. What I got out of the conversation was that it was going to be classified as malignant, and that I was either going to have more surgery, or treatment. Treatment, what could that mean? So far it seems as though treatment does not work with this type. I have been trying to do research about these types of tumors in general online, and am not coming up with a lot. On the emotional level I don’t know why but I don’t feel sad, or angry as I did when all of this started. I feel normal for the most part.
Thanks!

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! There is
    Hi and Welcome! There is another thread on here about phyllodes tumor, so, there are several on here with info for you. I will bump it up for you to read. I think what you need to do is to call your doctor and ask to see him again as you don't understand or remember what he said to you. He can answer all of your questions. Be sure and write them down, take someone with you and even take a tape recorder. Good luck to you!

HUGS
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

Hi and Welcome! There is
    Hi and Welcome! There is another thread on here about phyllodes tumor, so, there are several on here with info for you. I will bump it up for you to read. I think what you need to do is to call your doctor and ask to see him again as you don't understand or remember what he said to you. He can answer all of your questions. Be sure and write them down, take someone with you and even take a tape recorder. Good luck to you!

HUGS

Thanks for bumping that one
    Thanks for bumping that one up~ I was just about to do the same thing, and noticed you beat me to it! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Thanks for bumping that one
    Thanks for bumping that one up~ I was just about to do the same thing, and noticed you beat me to it! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥

lol I am fast Claudia!
    lol I am fast Claudia! Sweet of you to think of it too for her.

HUGS
  • cheyennedawn
    cheyennedawn Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi Expresslove
    I was diagnosed with a malignant phyllodes tumor. I had a large lump in my left breast, my primary care doctor sent me for a memmogram and ultrasound, which showed a suspicious area. I was referred to a general surgeon. He though that I had a phyllodes tumor just from the size. I had a lumpectomy on July 31, 2009. Pathology came back that it was a malignant phyllodes tumor, so I was sc scheduled for a mastectomy 2 days later. I know what you mean about not being able to comprehend all of the information that they throw at you, especially when they say the word "cancer". It is helpful to have someone go with you to appointments to help you process information. There is not a lot of information, unfortunately, about this particular disease. It is rare. It is also my understanding that the only treatment recommended is surgery. I am in the process of pushing for more options, was getting nowhere with my surgeon, so I went back to my primary care doctor for some advice. I feel that I have not been given enough follow up care. As I have learned, and as so many of these wonderful ladies here will tell you, you have to push for your treatment, and answers. That has been so in my case, anyway. Well, good luck to you. Keep us posted on whats going on with you. If you have any other questions, keep posting. You will meet some great and wise ladies on this site, and they are all willing to help in any way they can.

Take care and God bless!
    Cheyenne
  • expresslove
    expresslove Member Posts: 19
    Options
    thanks!
    Thank so for directing to me and welcoming me. :D I am pretty sure i will be using this website a lot because this is not common in my family and I need to "talk" to others about this. I have an appt (next Tuesday) with my surgeon to discuss what will happen to me. Although i am not scared or nervous at the moment, I am going to be very scared when I will be in that office.
    Thanks!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

thanks!
    Thank so for directing to me and welcoming me. :D I am pretty sure i will be using this website a lot because this is not common in my family and I need to "talk" to others about this. I have an appt (next Tuesday) with my surgeon to discuss what will happen to me. Although i am not scared or nervous at the moment, I am going to be very scared when I will be in that office.
    Thanks!

Hey expresslove! Glad that
    Hey expresslove! Glad that you found help on the site! That is what it is for! We are open 24/7, so, don't be shy about posting. Someone is always on.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator