Taking care of Mom

Options
mcsessions
mcsessions Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Mom is getting her first chemo on Thursday. I will go with her.
Any advice on how to make her feel comfortable and take her mind out of what's going on?

Thanks,
MC

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    MC
    Just you being there will be nice for her,I'm sure!Maybe a warm blanket,some snacks and water. The other ladies on here will give you more ideas.That's wonderful that you are there for her!
    Let her know that we are here for her-and for you if you ever have any questions or just need to vent.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Bless your heart! Everyone
    Bless your heart! Everyone will no doubt tell you to bring WATER! It is important to keep hydrated and to flush our systems, and being as chemo and other meds often cause constipation, water is imperative!Sip Sip Sip! And pee after the infusion too!

My 1st chemo was the most difficult for me emotionally. It was all of that fear of the unknown, and when they attached the IV, I started to cry. I had my b/f and niece with me, and they were scared for me, and didn't know quite what to do to make it better. So they just were there( which was ultra-wonderful!!!) and were scared with me! :-) The RNs were so sweet, and by the next infusion, 3 weeks later, I wasn't scared anymore.

My niece and I always had a supply of Mad-Libs to do, and a soft blanket for my lap. I wasn't particularly cold, but it was a nice comfort for me...I took my walkman with me and sometimes would just nod off. I didn't mind if b/f and niece left to go get something to drink; sometimes I wanted them to bring me something!

I just liked the emotional safety of knowing ppl who loved me were there with me!
    With that in mind, just literally being there for your mom is a good thing! I would take a supply of magazines along~ do you like reading recipes outloud to each other? Or catching up on the latest Hollywood Gossip? Just bring the kind of magazines you know your mom will enjoy, and keep her pre-occupied.

You are a sweetheart for going with your mom...again, bless your heart! And let us know how it goes and how we can be of help along the way!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    I took magazines, a puzzle
    I took magazines, a puzzle book and a book to read. If she has a port a button up blouse is good for easy access. A lightweight sweater if she is wearing short sleeves is a good idea. I froze even with the blanket! Also I took off my shoes and wore some comfy socks. Some of her favorite snacks. They supplied snacks and drinks for us but every place is different, I'm sure.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    elm3544 said:

I took magazines, a puzzle
    I took magazines, a puzzle book and a book to read. If she has a port a button up blouse is good for easy access. A lightweight sweater if she is wearing short sleeves is a good idea. I froze even with the blanket! Also I took off my shoes and wore some comfy socks. Some of her favorite snacks. They supplied snacks and drinks for us but every place is different, I'm sure.

different people and places
    My chemo center is/was terrific. There's 2 areas off of a central area ... and on one side is mostly people who bring other people with them to talk etc ... and the other area is mostly for people who prefer to be alone (like me) ... and quiet ... and read, sleep etc. The center has very comfy recliners, blankets, those squishy neck pillow things, TVs with earphones, drinks and snacks, microwave, reading materials etc. Since I prefer to be in my "own space" and sort of get in my own little "zone" ... I take my iPod with relaxing music on it ... and I just curl up with the blanket and usually read ... or sleep.

The other side of the chemo area is another story ... some people will bring 3-4 people with them ... talk ... play cards etc. etc.

It's all very individual. Whatever makes the treatment easier on the patient. In my case ... I didn't want anyone "back there" with me ... but I did need a ride to chemo and back home :-)

hugs.
    teena
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Mom,s chemo
    Hello MC,I just had my first Chemo last Tues. and I have a very kind hearted daughter like you.She has been with me through thick and thin.She is married and has a son.When I had my surgery she didn,t leave my side .She slept in a chair by my bed.She is sick allot her self.She went with me also when I had my first Chemo.It was very hard for me the first time.Having her their with me made the time go so much faster.Just knowing was a comfort.I cryed the day before all day and the morning of the chemo before she came over.When she got here I knew if I cryed in front of her she would also cry.So I didn,t cry during treatment.The best advice I could give is not only the treatment day but afterwards check on her.I had some side effects that were hard and she would come over and check on me.Some days i just want to be alone so she would just call.But just knowing she would check on me made me feel better.Comftorable PJ,s and foods she can eat without cooking.Remind her to take her nausea meds.Good Luck.If I can help please email me.God Bless.(Pat).
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    tgf said:

different people and places
    My chemo center is/was terrific. There's 2 areas off of a central area ... and on one side is mostly people who bring other people with them to talk etc ... and the other area is mostly for people who prefer to be alone (like me) ... and quiet ... and read, sleep etc. The center has very comfy recliners, blankets, those squishy neck pillow things, TVs with earphones, drinks and snacks, microwave, reading materials etc. Since I prefer to be in my "own space" and sort of get in my own little "zone" ... I take my iPod with relaxing music on it ... and I just curl up with the blanket and usually read ... or sleep.

The other side of the chemo area is another story ... some people will bring 3-4 people with them ... talk ... play cards etc. etc.

It's all very individual. Whatever makes the treatment easier on the patient. In my case ... I didn't want anyone "back there" with me ... but I did need a ride to chemo and back home :-)

hugs.
    teena

MC,
    I went with my mom for

MC,

I went with my mom for chemo. treatments too. I agree with the other posters you're just being there is enough. We were really concerned about the nausea, but the meds. they have now are fantastic and it wasn't a problem. Just be sure to take the medicines when they tell you.

We live in a rural area, and went to the city for treatments, so we made a day of it. I would take mom out to eat at Olive Garden or another nice restaurant after her chemo. It sounds crazy, I know, but she felt fine after the treatments. All the pre-meds made her hyper and she would talk and talk and talk. We called her 'chatty cathy.' :) And she was always able to eat well after her chemo., but everyone is different.

Your presence is enough.

Hope things go well and peace upon you both,
    dh
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    MC
    Your mother is lucky to have you. My daughter went with me also, as my hubby was working. All the other gave good advice so I can't think of anything else, except Good Luck and Hugs, Diane
  • mcsessions
    Options
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your advice, it's been very helpful. I feel better prepared now.
    I will let you know how it went.
    XO
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Thank you all for your advice, it's been very helpful. I feel better prepared now.
    I will let you know how it went.
    XO

Can't add anything else here...
    Just sending my best wishes that all will go well for your Mom on Thursday. Please do let us know.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Can't add anything else here...
    Just sending my best wishes that all will go well for your Mom on Thursday. Please do let us know.

I wish I could add, but the advise given here is
    exceptional. You Mom is 1 lucky lady.

Best wishes to Mom,

VickiSam
  • mcsessions
    Options
    It went great
    So.. I went with my Mom to get her 1st chemo yesterday and it was MUCH better than we all expected, she felt NOTHING while she received her drugs, she is a trooper, it was a long process though, it began at 5 pm and we were ready to go home by 9pm.
    She slept very well, had no nausea at all, and has been sleeping for most of the afternoon.
    We are so relieved, we know some of the side effects can still kick in, but so far so good.
    Thank you all and I will keep you posted.

Have a great weekend
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

It went great
    So.. I went with my Mom to get her 1st chemo yesterday and it was MUCH better than we all expected, she felt NOTHING while she received her drugs, she is a trooper, it was a long process though, it began at 5 pm and we were ready to go home by 9pm.
    She slept very well, had no nausea at all, and has been sleeping for most of the afternoon.
    We are so relieved, we know some of the side effects can still kick in, but so far so good.

Have a great weekend

So glad to hear it!
    MC, I'm so glad to hear that things went so well for your mom. Make sure to remember to take care of yourself through this, too!

I'm sure I'm quite a bit younger than your mom, and my chemo treatments haven't gone nearly as well as you describe. I've heard from so many women who are 10, 20, or more years older than me, and can kick chemo butt so much better than I can -- I hope to grow up to be as strong as your mom and them someday!

:-) Traci
  • mcsessions
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

So glad to hear it!
    MC, I'm so glad to hear that things went so well for your mom. Make sure to remember to take care of yourself through this, too!

I'm sure I'm quite a bit younger than your mom, and my chemo treatments haven't gone nearly as well as you describe. I've heard from so many women who are 10, 20, or more years older than me, and can kick chemo butt so much better than I can -- I hope to grow up to be as strong as your mom and them someday!

:-) Traci

Thank you Traci I know you
    Thank you Traci I know you will.
    Remember this was just the 1st treatment there's still a long way to go, but I still hope she will keep feeling as well as she does.

My best to you.
    MC
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Not a bad experience
    No pain or sick feelings, just an IV drip for 5 hours for me. I just read magazines. Getting up to go pee with my IV hanger wasn't easy. I had to use an IV since they couldn't get my port operating right. I didn't feel bad til the next day, stomache ache, then the leunasta shot made my bones ache like the flu. Thats the sum of it, it's like the flu. There were several other patients there and a few had no one with them. I had my husband there, he got me something to eat at lunch. I'll always have someone with me, husband or sister. Hope all goes well.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

It went great

Have a great weekend

That's wonderful to hear!
    So glad that her first treatment went so well!