Options
2»

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

JK
    Thanks........ This is the first I have heard of this........ain't that just typical?.. I tell ya, I learn a heck of a lot more here than I do from all of my so called health team.
    I havn't had a gyn appointment in over 8 years. Oh well.

Hugs to you all JXxxxxxxxxxx (sorry for being such a miserable sod past 3 weeks, things have been hard) Luv Jxx

Tasha
    I hope that you are

Tasha

I hope that you are feeling better emotionally and that the miserables are passing. So sorry that things have been hard. My heart goes out to you.
    It is unfortunate that your team did not mention the whole uterine, ovarian cancer thing. You should make a gyn appointment and make sure all is well. I know with the uterine cancer, there are usually symptoms, excessive bleeding, bleeding after menopause, clots in the bleeding, pelvic discomfort. Ovarian doesn't usually have much in the way of symptoms. I don't know what they do as a follow up for the tamoxifen but I wouldn't hesitate to ask for an ultrasound and any other tests that will show all is well. I thought I was the only one that avoided the gyn. I did for 25 years and then when I finally went, they found I had uterine cancer. My grandma used to say that her friends were okay until they went to the doctor and then they had something. She avoided the doctors completely for over 45 years. And then she only went because she had a small stroke. Even then she said she was fine until she went to the doctors. So I think I'll be like my grams. I was fine until I went to the doctor. LOL
    Hope things start to look up for you and the sun comes out to brighten your days.
    Stef
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mono5 said:

Long-term tamoxifen use increases the risk ....
    Not good news...

Long-term tamoxifen use increases the risk of an aggressive, difficult to treat type of second breast cancer

Study finds a more than four-fold increased risk of ER negative second cancers

SEATTLE—While long-term tamoxifen use among breast cancer survivors decreases their risk of developing the most common, less aggressive type of second breast cancer, such use is associated with a more than four-fold increased risk of a more aggressive, difficult-to-treat type of cancer in the breast opposite, or contralateral, to the initial tumor. These findings by Christopher Li, M.D., Ph.D., and colleagues at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center were published online Aug. 25 in the journal Cancer Research.

http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2009/08/25/tamoxifen.html

I have read this information
    I have read this information before Mono. And, it is scary.

Also, if you take certain antidepressants with tamoxifen, you double your chance of a recurrence. That is proven and documented too.

That is why tamoxifen is such a scary drug.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    susie09 said:

I have read this information
    I have read this information before Mono. And, it is scary.

Also, if you take certain antidepressants with tamoxifen, you double your chance of a recurrence. That is proven and documented too.

That is why tamoxifen is such a scary drug.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Test results

I had my 'gold standard' test last week (sonogram, endometrial biopsy and saline infusion sonohysterography), which is an hour in the doctor's office and no anesthesia, compared to a half day in the hospital (for hysteroscopy and D&C). If your gynecologist is suggesting a hysteroscopy and D&C for diagnosis, you might want to ask about this newer series of tests which is much easier: I was back at work a little over an hour after the test started.

The good news is that the biopsy was fine; the bad news was that the doctor found a polyp. But, my surgery will only be the hysteroscopy to remove the polyp, and provided that isn't malignant, I'm done. This is trivial compared to a hysterectomy or the BC treatments that I've had. So, I'm very thankful.

Joyce
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    jk1952 said:

Test results

I had my 'gold standard' test last week (sonogram, endometrial biopsy and saline infusion sonohysterography), which is an hour in the doctor's office and no anesthesia, compared to a half day in the hospital (for hysteroscopy and D&C). If your gynecologist is suggesting a hysteroscopy and D&C for diagnosis, you might want to ask about this newer series of tests which is much easier: I was back at work a little over an hour after the test started.

The good news is that the biopsy was fine; the bad news was that the doctor found a polyp. But, my surgery will only be the hysteroscopy to remove the polyp, and provided that isn't malignant, I'm done. This is trivial compared to a hysterectomy or the BC treatments that I've had. So, I'm very thankful.

Joyce

Hi Joyce! I am glad that
    Hi Joyce! I am glad that your biopsy was fine, but, I am sorry that you have to have surgery. I will pray that it is benign. Please let us know.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • jk1952
    Options
    susie09 said:

Hi Joyce! I am glad that
    Hi Joyce! I am glad that your biopsy was fine, but, I am sorry that you have to have surgery. I will pray that it is benign. Please let us know.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Thanks for your prayers,

Thanks for your prayers, Susie. I'm not too concerned about this surgery: I've had it done in the past, and I will have a local and sedative rather than general anesthesia. The anesthesia is what really makes me freak.

Joyce
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    jk1952 said:

Thanks for your prayers,

Thanks for your prayers, Susie. I'm not too concerned about this surgery: I've had it done in the past, and I will have a local and sedative rather than general anesthesia. The anesthesia is what really makes me freak.

Joyce

Be thinking of you
    Hi Joyce,
    When do you have this surgery? Hope all goes well! (I'm with you on the anesthesia - I'd much rather go local)
    So were you put on another drug other than tamoxifen or did you just stop all drugs at that time?
    take care
    -Jenny
  • jk1952
    Options

Be thinking of you
    Hi Joyce,
    When do you have this surgery? Hope all goes well! (I'm with you on the anesthesia - I'd much rather go local)
    So were you put on another drug other than tamoxifen or did you just stop all drugs at that time?
    take care
    -Jenny

Jenny,
    I think I'm having

Jenny,

I think I'm having the surgery in early November; I have a tentative date of the 2nd. I think that Tamoxifen was the only drug available for pre-menopausal women, at the time, so I didn't go on another one. I've always been glad that I tried it, but I haven't stressed over the fact that I had to quit.

Joyce