question about a lumpectomy

Options
helen e
helen e Member Posts: 223
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my pre-op today and they said that I was going to have a mamogram while they put in the guide wire to the tumor. Does anyone know how it's done? Does it hurt? They are also going to do the surgery with a local and I will be awake but "loopy." Not sure how I feel about that one.

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Hi Helene
    I didn't have a mammogram while they guided the wire in, they did an ultrasound on me while he did it. I still had the titanium marker in me which guided him too. They numbed me so I felt nothing and I didn't look, so, I don't know how he did it. But, it didn't hurt at all. It just looked weird with a wire, a very, very thin wire, hanging out of my boob. And, I was totally knocked out for my lumpectomy and that is what I wanted. Good luck to you! I hope I helped somewhat.

Leeza
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had that done before
    Yes, I had that done before my lumpectomy, it's called a "needle loc"as in locater. No, it didn't really hurt because the Radiologist numbs the area, it won't be anymore uncomfortable than when they numbed you for your biopsy, at least it wasn't too bad for me. Are you getting the "sentinel node" done also? Now that is a little more painful, so I'm not going to sugar coat it. The Radiologist will tell you it will hurt for about 10-20 seconds with each needle. If you want to cry or grimace, do so! His Tech helper held my hand and let me squeeze it, she was a doll. Why are they doing the lumpectomy with a local or consious sedation? I was under General. I woke up and heard people talking behind the curtain next to me,LOL Then my surgeon came over and said it went well, sentinel node was clear, you're going to Disney World,LOL (I was in a few weeks)

It was like a mammogram machine they used, but they don't squeeze you like in a regular mammogram, the side the Radiologist inserts the needle/wire is open. I had a side sticker sitting there, but I think it was my hernia bothering me,LOL
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Hi Helene
    I didn't have a mammogram while they guided the wire in, they did an ultrasound on me while he did it. I still had the titanium marker in me which guided him too. They numbed me so I felt nothing and I didn't look, so, I don't know how he did it. But, it didn't hurt at all. It just looked weird with a wire, a very, very thin wire, hanging out of my boob. And, I was totally knocked out for my lumpectomy and that is what I wanted. Good luck to you! I hope I helped somewhat.

Leeza

lumpectomy
    Before my lumpectomy injected radioactive dye (without numbing the area) which I believe gives them information about the lymph nodes ... and I will admit it hurt.Then they did an ultra-sound to locate the area to be removed ... then numbed the area and inserted the wire ... which is what the surgeon uses to get to the right place. Then they did a VERY GENTLE mammogram to be sure everything showed up for the surgeon. I had all of this done at one location ... so after the mammogram I'm in the hospital gown ... and THEN have to go to the hospital for the actual surgery. I looked real cute parading around the waiting room :-) But ... my lumpectomy was done using general anesthetic.

hugs.
    teena
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    I had a needle loc before my
    I had a needle loc before my lumpectomy & it did not hurt at all! I was sort of scared because I had not had a good experience with a previous biopsy, but this was painless!
    The nurses & doctors were just great! I hope your goes as well as mine. It makes sense that they would try to locate the offending cells as best they can to remove them. It did take a while, though, but I could rest/change position any time I needed to. Good luck..
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

I had a needle loc before my lumpectomy & it did not hurt at all! I was sort of scared because I had not had a good experience with a previous biopsy, but this was painless!
    The nurses & doctors were just great! I hope your goes as well as mine. It makes sense that they would try to locate the offending cells as best they can to remove them. It did take a while, though, but I could rest/change position any time I needed to. Good luck..

Hi, Helen -
    The various folks at my hospital referred to the procedure as a "wire localization," or "wire loc," but it's the same as what everyone's describing.

To me, it felt exactly the same as having my biopsies done -- unfortunately, my tumors were very deep, so the biopsies were pretty painful, and the wire locs were, too. I really do think a lot of it depends on how deep the tumors are, i.e, how deep they have to "go fishing," so to speak.

On the other side of it, I know that the sentinel node mapping (the "blue dye" injected around your nipple, if you're having a sentinel node biopsy done) is really painful for some women, but it was almost painless for me. And I'm a HUGE wimp about pain.

Not sure if that helped at all, but know that we all made it through, and you will, too!

Traci
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Tux said:

This is how they did it for me
    When they put the wire in me for my lumpectomy, they used ultrasound and I also still had the titanium marker in me to help show them where the tumor was. They numbed me so I felt nothing.

I was out in 2 seconds for my surgery and awoke to my family standing over me.

Hope all goes well for you!

Lex♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

This is how they did it for me
    When they put the wire in me for my lumpectomy, they used ultrasound and I also still had the titanium marker in me to help show them where the tumor was. They numbed me so I felt nothing.

I was out in 2 seconds for my surgery and awoke to my family standing over me.

Hope all goes well for you!

Lex♥

I was put to sleep for a core biospy .. and woke up
    with an lumpectomy - tumor taken out - was the size of an orange ..

10.0 X 7.0 x 4.0 cm.

Good luck .. can you take advil before the procedure ? Just a question that came to mind.

VickiSam
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

I was put to sleep for a core biospy .. and woke up
    with an lumpectomy - tumor taken out - was the size of an orange ..

10.0 X 7.0 x 4.0 cm.

Good luck .. can you take advil before the procedure ? Just a question that came to mind.

VickiSam

Mine didn't want me to take
    Mine didn't want me to take anything but Tylenol before any of the procedures.
  • hncroper
    hncroper Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy and it
    I had a lumpectomy and it was general anesthesia. I freak out with needles and get very anxious so the port that they installed was suppose to be local "loopy" but I cried like a 2 year old and hyperventilated a lot. Talk to your doctor and you should be able to do general. The biopsy was a little bad not too much, you do feel pulling and tugging though no pain. I have stage 3 breast cancer and had 23 of 25 lymph nodes removed because they were cancerous so it has been hard, but it can be done.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    hncroper said:

I had a lumpectomy and it
    I had a lumpectomy and it was general anesthesia. I freak out with needles and get very anxious so the port that they installed was suppose to be local "loopy" but I cried like a 2 year old and hyperventilated a lot. Talk to your doctor and you should be able to do general. The biopsy was a little bad not too much, you do feel pulling and tugging though no pain. I have stage 3 breast cancer and had 23 of 25 lymph nodes removed because they were cancerous so it has been hard, but it can be done.

Local Anesthesia

I've had a local and sedative for a couple surgeries (sentinel lymph node biopsy and D&C), and I would do all of my surgeries that way if they'd let me. I actually requested the local both times. Some of my surgeons will only perform surgery if you have a general anesthetic, so I've had several generals. During the surgery, I didn't find the local any different than being under a general, but after the surgery, I was awake and 'with it' so much quicker, and I didn't have a headache or any other after-effects.

Joyce
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    jk1952 said:

Local Anesthesia

I've had a local and sedative for a couple surgeries (sentinel lymph node biopsy and D&C), and I would do all of my surgeries that way if they'd let me. I actually requested the local both times. Some of my surgeons will only perform surgery if you have a general anesthetic, so I've had several generals. During the surgery, I didn't find the local any different than being under a general, but after the surgery, I was awake and 'with it' so much quicker, and I didn't have a headache or any other after-effects.

Joyce

I was totally knocked out
    I was totally knocked out for my lumpectomy and that was good! I felt fine when I woke up. I don't think I could have done it any other way. But, I realize that everyone is different. They also inserted the wire by using the ultrasound and the titanium chip that was in me from the core biopsy. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

I was totally knocked out
    I was totally knocked out for my lumpectomy and that was good! I felt fine when I woke up. I don't think I could have done it any other way. But, I realize that everyone is different. They also inserted the wire by using the ultrasound and the titanium chip that was in me from the core biopsy. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥

I had the wire loc, it did
    I had the wire loc, it did not hurt at all. Then after they did that they taped a paper cup over the top of it so it was protected. Mine was also done with the mammy.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Hi, Helen -
    The various folks at my hospital referred to the procedure as a "wire localization," or "wire loc," but it's the same as what everyone's describing.

To me, it felt exactly the same as having my biopsies done -- unfortunately, my tumors were very deep, so the biopsies were pretty painful, and the wire locs were, too. I really do think a lot of it depends on how deep the tumors are, i.e, how deep they have to "go fishing," so to speak.

On the other side of it, I know that the sentinel node mapping (the "blue dye" injected around your nipple, if you're having a sentinel node biopsy done) is really painful for some women, but it was almost painless for me. And I'm a HUGE wimp about pain.

Not sure if that helped at all, but know that we all made it through, and you will, too!

Traci

hi Helen
    Mine was pretty much the same as Traci's with the exception that my Doc allowed me to take a xanax the morning of, which really helped. Also, my lumpectomy was done under general anesthisa. I think they do all they can to keep you pain free. Pammy
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Options
    Hi Helen. I just finished
    Hi Helen. I just finished this at the end of August. Basically, they put your breast in the mammogram pincher and while you look away they will insert the wire to locate the chip. You won't feel a thing because the area will be numb from the lidocaine. After that, I had to lie down on the bed. They put a plastic cup over the insertion needle that remains outside your breast. (Think Madonna cup and you get the idea!) They discreetly covered me up with warm blankets so I could be wheeled to the surgical area without anyone noticing there was something sticking out of my breast. They also told me that I would be in a Twilight state but I never was awake for any of the surgery. I don't remember a thing. Good luck!