Look Good feel better class.,how did you like it?

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone.I am going to a look good feel better class tomorrow.It sounds like fun and just in time my Chemo started last Tues.I understand they give you advice on when we loss our eyelashes,hair and eyebrows.Would some of you let me know how you liked it.What was it like?Thank you.(Pat).

Comments

  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Pat .. I right behind you .. My class out here in California
    is scheduled for 10/13 .. 2 to 4 p.m. ACS has called me twice, requesting my skin tones, and eye color. I can hardly wait!!!

    Good luck and let us all know, what happens!


    VickiSam
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    VickiSam said:

    Pat .. I right behind you .. My class out here in California
    is scheduled for 10/13 .. 2 to 4 p.m. ACS has called me twice, requesting my skin tones, and eye color. I can hardly wait!!!

    Good luck and let us all know, what happens!


    VickiSam

    You two will love it!!
    Besides being very imformative, it is sooooo much fun! The makeup bag they give you contains about $200.00 - $250.00 worth of top of the line makeup. Mine had products from Estee Lauder, Maybeline, Loriel, Physicians Formula, Channel ect. Plus a free headwrap, nail polish, cleansing products, and how to booklets. Our ladies that conducted our class were hysterical (laughter is good medicine!) and they had lessons on wearing scarves and free wigs available as well. You will be so glad you went....have fun!! Pammy
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Akiss4me said:

    You two will love it!!
    Besides being very imformative, it is sooooo much fun! The makeup bag they give you contains about $200.00 - $250.00 worth of top of the line makeup. Mine had products from Estee Lauder, Maybeline, Loriel, Physicians Formula, Channel ect. Plus a free headwrap, nail polish, cleansing products, and how to booklets. Our ladies that conducted our class were hysterical (laughter is good medicine!) and they had lessons on wearing scarves and free wigs available as well. You will be so glad you went....have fun!! Pammy

    I can,t wait.
    Thank you for your reply.It sounds like so much fun.And i could use that right now.I,ll let you know how it goes.(Pat).
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    got great products.. but the
    got great products.. but the one i went to was not very informative... They didn't discuss eye lashes falling out.. except to tell us if they do it will take 6 months to grow back, nothing on head wraps (how to's).. and only touched on eye brows.. I was kind of disappointed... all she did was tell us how to wear make-up.. (okay where all grown woman and know how to do that)... I was hoping for much more on how to take care of my skin while going through treatment..

    Hope yours is better....
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    e_hope said:

    got great products.. but the
    got great products.. but the one i went to was not very informative... They didn't discuss eye lashes falling out.. except to tell us if they do it will take 6 months to grow back, nothing on head wraps (how to's).. and only touched on eye brows.. I was kind of disappointed... all she did was tell us how to wear make-up.. (okay where all grown woman and know how to do that)... I was hoping for much more on how to take care of my skin while going through treatment..

    Hope yours is better....

    not any better.
    The makeup was wonderful.But like you was dissapointed that they didn,t teach us more about when we lose our lashes and brows and things.(Pat).
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    ppurdin said:

    not any better.
    The makeup was wonderful.But like you was dissapointed that they didn,t teach us more about when we lose our lashes and brows and things.(Pat).

    The whole reason I went...
    The whole reason I went... to me... the boat was missed... did yours cover wigs or scarfs how to's.. mine didn't... From what I hear some are really good..
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    e_hope said:

    The whole reason I went...
    The whole reason I went... to me... the boat was missed... did yours cover wigs or scarfs how to's.. mine didn't... From what I hear some are really good..

    I was a make-up artist for many years....
    Hi Everyone,

    I was a make-up artist for years and saw the program before my BC. At that time, they gave out free samples but nothing was based on the coloring of the person. That didn't make any sense to me. Soft shades in colors that match our skin tones is what is needed especially at this time.

    My tip about the lashes is to us an eyeliner as close to your hair color as you can find. Go along the lashline on top and bottom as close as you can to where your own lashes grew. Don't be afraid if it looks a little wide because you will take a sponge tip or q tip and go over it to soften it. What lashed do is define the eye, so the liner can make a difference.
    Buy a creamy eyeliner pencil, not a liquid eyeliner. The liquid isn't meant for smudging.
    New at liner? Sit with your elbow on a table (in front of mirror). Rest your chin in the curve of your palm for stability. Start at the inside of your upper lid and make small dots or short strokes as close together as you can. Start at the outside of your lower lid and come in towards the center. Go about 2/3rds of the way on your lower lid. Blend with sponge or q tip.

    By the way, Lauren Hutten has a make-up disc which you can find on the web. It has all shades of cover-up cremes, blusher, and contour powder. All are frost free and soft in
    pigment. Especially great for women over 40.

    Have fun!

    Roseann

    Please let me know if you have any other questions about make-up application. I wish I could do ALL your make up and teach you in person. I am not in that business anymore but I keep up on the latest techniques.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    roseann4 said:

    I was a make-up artist for many years....
    Hi Everyone,

    I was a make-up artist for years and saw the program before my BC. At that time, they gave out free samples but nothing was based on the coloring of the person. That didn't make any sense to me. Soft shades in colors that match our skin tones is what is needed especially at this time.

    My tip about the lashes is to us an eyeliner as close to your hair color as you can find. Go along the lashline on top and bottom as close as you can to where your own lashes grew. Don't be afraid if it looks a little wide because you will take a sponge tip or q tip and go over it to soften it. What lashed do is define the eye, so the liner can make a difference.
    Buy a creamy eyeliner pencil, not a liquid eyeliner. The liquid isn't meant for smudging.
    New at liner? Sit with your elbow on a table (in front of mirror). Rest your chin in the curve of your palm for stability. Start at the inside of your upper lid and make small dots or short strokes as close together as you can. Start at the outside of your lower lid and come in towards the center. Go about 2/3rds of the way on your lower lid. Blend with sponge or q tip.

    By the way, Lauren Hutten has a make-up disc which you can find on the web. It has all shades of cover-up cremes, blusher, and contour powder. All are frost free and soft in
    pigment. Especially great for women over 40.

    Have fun!

    Roseann

    Please let me know if you have any other questions about make-up application. I wish I could do ALL your make up and teach you in person. I am not in that business anymore but I keep up on the latest techniques.

    Thanks, Roseann, for the
    Thanks, Roseann, for the great tips!! I've never worn much make-up and therefore am not real proficient on applying it. You make it sound so simple.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    roseann4 said:

    I was a make-up artist for many years....
    Hi Everyone,

    I was a make-up artist for years and saw the program before my BC. At that time, they gave out free samples but nothing was based on the coloring of the person. That didn't make any sense to me. Soft shades in colors that match our skin tones is what is needed especially at this time.

    My tip about the lashes is to us an eyeliner as close to your hair color as you can find. Go along the lashline on top and bottom as close as you can to where your own lashes grew. Don't be afraid if it looks a little wide because you will take a sponge tip or q tip and go over it to soften it. What lashed do is define the eye, so the liner can make a difference.
    Buy a creamy eyeliner pencil, not a liquid eyeliner. The liquid isn't meant for smudging.
    New at liner? Sit with your elbow on a table (in front of mirror). Rest your chin in the curve of your palm for stability. Start at the inside of your upper lid and make small dots or short strokes as close together as you can. Start at the outside of your lower lid and come in towards the center. Go about 2/3rds of the way on your lower lid. Blend with sponge or q tip.

    By the way, Lauren Hutten has a make-up disc which you can find on the web. It has all shades of cover-up cremes, blusher, and contour powder. All are frost free and soft in
    pigment. Especially great for women over 40.

    Have fun!

    Roseann

    Please let me know if you have any other questions about make-up application. I wish I could do ALL your make up and teach you in person. I am not in that business anymore but I keep up on the latest techniques.

    thanks for tips... Thats
    thanks for tips... Thats what I was hoping for at my LGFB program
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    roseann4 said:

    I was a make-up artist for many years....
    Hi Everyone,

    I was a make-up artist for years and saw the program before my BC. At that time, they gave out free samples but nothing was based on the coloring of the person. That didn't make any sense to me. Soft shades in colors that match our skin tones is what is needed especially at this time.

    My tip about the lashes is to us an eyeliner as close to your hair color as you can find. Go along the lashline on top and bottom as close as you can to where your own lashes grew. Don't be afraid if it looks a little wide because you will take a sponge tip or q tip and go over it to soften it. What lashed do is define the eye, so the liner can make a difference.
    Buy a creamy eyeliner pencil, not a liquid eyeliner. The liquid isn't meant for smudging.
    New at liner? Sit with your elbow on a table (in front of mirror). Rest your chin in the curve of your palm for stability. Start at the inside of your upper lid and make small dots or short strokes as close together as you can. Start at the outside of your lower lid and come in towards the center. Go about 2/3rds of the way on your lower lid. Blend with sponge or q tip.

    By the way, Lauren Hutten has a make-up disc which you can find on the web. It has all shades of cover-up cremes, blusher, and contour powder. All are frost free and soft in
    pigment. Especially great for women over 40.

    Have fun!

    Roseann

    Please let me know if you have any other questions about make-up application. I wish I could do ALL your make up and teach you in person. I am not in that business anymore but I keep up on the latest techniques.

    thanks for tips... Thats
    thanks for tips... Thats what I was hoping for at my LGFB program
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    e_hope said:

    thanks for tips... Thats
    thanks for tips... Thats what I was hoping for at my LGFB program

    LGFB
    Roseann-thank you for the tips! Will be going to my LGFB class tomorrow. I just found out that a local salon that does my daughters hair will be conducting the class. She LOVES the work they do and will be going with me. We are looking forward to going now that we know they will be there! Hope it's better than some of the classes I've read about here!
    Have a great weekend all!
    Cathy
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Cat64 said:

    LGFB
    Roseann-thank you for the tips! Will be going to my LGFB class tomorrow. I just found out that a local salon that does my daughters hair will be conducting the class. She LOVES the work they do and will be going with me. We are looking forward to going now that we know they will be there! Hope it's better than some of the classes I've read about here!
    Have a great weekend all!
    Cathy

    More tips.....
    Hi everyone,

    The eyebrows can be tricky but there are several companies who sell stencils to help us get a more natural shape. You can find them on the internet under "Eyebrow make-up stencils". Be sure to get a powder and the correct brush. The color should be close to your hair color but not darker. I have used blonde on fair to medium brown haired women. I prefer the powder and it does not rub off easily. The brush must be specifically for brows. It is hard, narrow, and angled. They are not expensive often come with the brow product

    Don't do much with eyeshadows at this time. It may draw attention to the lack of lashes. If you wear glasses, you can get away with some shadow but be subtle. Stay away from colors like blue and green which will draw too much attention to the area. You can get into fashion looks when everything grows back....and it will!

    Blush is simple and can make a big difference. If you use creme, be careful because it may clog pores. Chemo can dehydrate skin and the oils might get into the pores making dots. Not the look we want. I use a powder in soft coral because I don't look good in blue pinks. If you look good in blue pinks find a soft one in your blush. Unless you are very young the bronze colors won't give you the healthy glow we are looking for so if you normally wear that color, set it aside for now. Touch the brush (get a big one rather that the tiny ones that come in the compact) to the apples of your cheeks, above your brows on your forhead, and on your chin. If you're lucky enough to have a good nose, touch it there too. That is where the sun naturally hits us.

    Lip color is a great idea and staying in the same color family as your blush is a safe way to go. Don't go make-up crazy if you don't normally wear lots of make-up. We want to look like our healthy selves not like someone else.

    Now for skin care. This is very important always but now it is vital. We will be wearing these faces for a long time and chemo can play a number on our more delicate areas. You don't need to buy the expensive department store brands but you do have to consider your skin type. If you tend to get blemishes stay away from cleansing and moisturizing products with oil. Neutrogena has products you will probably like. There are tons of products with oil. Almay is popular and not expensive. You can pick these products up at your neighborhood pharmacy (CVS,etc.) Whatever you choose, bring the package to your oncologist so he/she can check out the ingredients. Whatever make-up you use will apply better if your skin is in balance by using a good quality cleanser and moisturizer. Don't forget your neck. Our skin is the dryest a 10 pm at night so take off your make-up and reapply moisturizer.

    When you are done putting on your make-up for the first time, have someone snap a picture of you with your camera. You will get a more objective look. Wierd, but it works.

    I'm very frustrated to be writing this rather than demoing this but I hope it helps.

    Bring me any of your other beauty questions and I'll do what I can to help.

    Roseann
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    roseann4 said:

    More tips.....
    Hi everyone,

    The eyebrows can be tricky but there are several companies who sell stencils to help us get a more natural shape. You can find them on the internet under "Eyebrow make-up stencils". Be sure to get a powder and the correct brush. The color should be close to your hair color but not darker. I have used blonde on fair to medium brown haired women. I prefer the powder and it does not rub off easily. The brush must be specifically for brows. It is hard, narrow, and angled. They are not expensive often come with the brow product

    Don't do much with eyeshadows at this time. It may draw attention to the lack of lashes. If you wear glasses, you can get away with some shadow but be subtle. Stay away from colors like blue and green which will draw too much attention to the area. You can get into fashion looks when everything grows back....and it will!

    Blush is simple and can make a big difference. If you use creme, be careful because it may clog pores. Chemo can dehydrate skin and the oils might get into the pores making dots. Not the look we want. I use a powder in soft coral because I don't look good in blue pinks. If you look good in blue pinks find a soft one in your blush. Unless you are very young the bronze colors won't give you the healthy glow we are looking for so if you normally wear that color, set it aside for now. Touch the brush (get a big one rather that the tiny ones that come in the compact) to the apples of your cheeks, above your brows on your forhead, and on your chin. If you're lucky enough to have a good nose, touch it there too. That is where the sun naturally hits us.

    Lip color is a great idea and staying in the same color family as your blush is a safe way to go. Don't go make-up crazy if you don't normally wear lots of make-up. We want to look like our healthy selves not like someone else.

    Now for skin care. This is very important always but now it is vital. We will be wearing these faces for a long time and chemo can play a number on our more delicate areas. You don't need to buy the expensive department store brands but you do have to consider your skin type. If you tend to get blemishes stay away from cleansing and moisturizing products with oil. Neutrogena has products you will probably like. There are tons of products with oil. Almay is popular and not expensive. You can pick these products up at your neighborhood pharmacy (CVS,etc.) Whatever you choose, bring the package to your oncologist so he/she can check out the ingredients. Whatever make-up you use will apply better if your skin is in balance by using a good quality cleanser and moisturizer. Don't forget your neck. Our skin is the dryest a 10 pm at night so take off your make-up and reapply moisturizer.

    When you are done putting on your make-up for the first time, have someone snap a picture of you with your camera. You will get a more objective look. Wierd, but it works.

    I'm very frustrated to be writing this rather than demoing this but I hope it helps.

    Bring me any of your other beauty questions and I'll do what I can to help.

    Roseann

    LGFB
    Went to my class and my daughter & I were the only ones there! Got the 1 on 1 treatment literally! As Roseann mentioned there are eyebrow stencils available. The volunteer said you could get them at Walmart for about $1.00. The make-up kit is fabulous! It was only a 2 hour class but it sure covered alot of material! I was especially amazed at the T-shirt headwrap! I didn't get to see how she did that so my daughter will have to teach me that trick! I left looking like a "hag" and came back looking radiant! I would highly recommend this class to anyone who has not gone yet!
    Cathy