Cancer centers of america

Options
pokismom
pokismom Member Posts: 153
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey does anyone know anything about this place, I had called them a while ago and they were trying to get me out there for a visit.
Thanks for whatever info you guys have.
Donna

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Some Info on CCTA
    Hello Donna

I almost went there, but did not due to their locations and I had to work so I had to stay closer to home - closest one to DFW was Tulsa, OK, I think.

There were going to get me there for a visit too and supposedly pay for transportation and lodging and such - but when they did that, you were "theirs" so to speak.

What I mean by that was that all of your treatments, scans, procedures and such would all have to go through them and they did not want any outside stuff from any doctors that you had used. This must be why they pay to have you come up and visit.

I asked them if I could get some treatments there and still go to my onc in Arlington (at the time) and we could use a team approach - but they don't want to do that. It seems to me that is ALL or NOTHING with them.

So, I thought about it and figured since I lived and worked in the DFW area, my treatments would take longer than I could afford to be off from work, so I stayed local and worked.

I did know another co-worker of mine, whose dad went to one of the CCTA centers and he apparently liked it, so I'm sure it is a nice place if you can make that committment. His dad was retired and could therefore move to the treatment center and get the care he needed, because of his retired situation.

From what I understand, they are a one stop shop - scans, chemo, radiation, acupuncture, nutrition, and spiritual.

That's really all that I know, but wanted to share that with you.

Take care
    -Craig
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Options
    Hi
    I wondered about them too. Our new Onc said that they had a patient that went to one of them she didn't say which but that they had messed up her stomach with the radiation they gave her and didn't admit to it. She said that she had heard good things about them too but they are a business. Don't know what else to say. They sound good on TV. Best to you Paula
  • Paula G. said:

Hi
    I wondered about them too. Our new Onc said that they had a patient that went to one of them she didn't say which but that they had messed up her stomach with the radiation they gave her and didn't admit to it. She said that she had heard good things about them too but they are a business. Don't know what else to say. They sound good on TV. Best to you Paula

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • pokismom
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Some Info on CCTA
    Hello Donna

I almost went there, but did not due to their locations and I had to work so I had to stay closer to home - closest one to DFW was Tulsa, OK, I think.

There were going to get me there for a visit too and supposedly pay for transportation and lodging and such - but when they did that, you were "theirs" so to speak.

What I mean by that was that all of your treatments, scans, procedures and such would all have to go through them and they did not want any outside stuff from any doctors that you had used. This must be why they pay to have you come up and visit.

I asked them if I could get some treatments there and still go to my onc in Arlington (at the time) and we could use a team approach - but they don't want to do that. It seems to me that is ALL or NOTHING with them.

So, I thought about it and figured since I lived and worked in the DFW area, my treatments would take longer than I could afford to be off from work, so I stayed local and worked.

I did know another co-worker of mine, whose dad went to one of the CCTA centers and he apparently liked it, so I'm sure it is a nice place if you can make that committment. His dad was retired and could therefore move to the treatment center and get the care he needed, because of his retired situation.

From what I understand, they are a one stop shop - scans, chemo, radiation, acupuncture, nutrition, and spiritual.

That's really all that I know, but wanted to share that with you.

Take care
    -Craig

thanks for your responses
    I know I contacted them in the beginning and they keep in touch with me, trying to get me to come for a visit. i hear that they are really nice and that hope is something that you feel when you walk in the door. I too had a hard time committing to go because it;s so far and I didnt want to be away from my family for such a long period of time. Thanks for all the replies, still trying to find out whats out there and if I'm in the best situation yet. Got to keep the fight huh!
    Much Love to you all,
    Donna
  • Janet3
    Janet3 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    CCA
    Here's what I know. It's not much. When my mom was diagnosed Stage IV we were completely blindsided. I was looking for as many opinions as we could get. We knew we really wanted to go to M D Anderson in Houston TX but they couldn't see us for 6 days. At the time that 6 days seemed like an eternity to wait. Clearly we were just frantic and unreasonable. So we thought in the meantime we could at least get some other opinions. I called CCA. The first thing they asked for was her insurance info. Not a big deal, pretty normal, but a little unsettling to me. The nice lady said she'd verify the insurance and call me back. She also asked for my mom's contact info. She called me back a few hours later, said she verified the insurance and would pay for our transportation and all associated expenses. We could leave the next day. I thanked her, told her I would talk to my mom and get back with her. I was talking to her on my cell phone and I was with my mom. As soon as I hung up my mom's phone rang, it was the nice lady. Hmmmm. She gave my mom the whole story about her making the transportation arrangements and us leaving the next day. My mom thanked her and said she'd advise. About 2 hours later the nice lady called me back and began to really pressure me, telling me that I was wasting time. As I began to question her more, I began to understand this was an all or nothing deal. They didn't want us to see anyone else, would not agree to coordinate with a local oncologist so that my mom could get treatments close to home. My mom really wanted to be close to home. My mom and I discussed it and agreed that CCA was not the right choice for her. I called the nice lady and thanked her for her time and info. She was indignant, said she couldn't believe that we had spoken to other people and facilities. I again thanked her and told her that CCA was not the right choice for us. She continued to call me and my mom every day for 9 days. I finally had to tell her flat out 'do not call us again'. I guess I could have given you a shorter version but that just wouldn't be me. Sorry!
    Good luck! You will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
    Janet
  • pokismom
    Options
    Janet3 said:

CCA
    Here's what I know. It's not much. When my mom was diagnosed Stage IV we were completely blindsided. I was looking for as many opinions as we could get. We knew we really wanted to go to M D Anderson in Houston TX but they couldn't see us for 6 days. At the time that 6 days seemed like an eternity to wait. Clearly we were just frantic and unreasonable. So we thought in the meantime we could at least get some other opinions. I called CCA. The first thing they asked for was her insurance info. Not a big deal, pretty normal, but a little unsettling to me. The nice lady said she'd verify the insurance and call me back. She also asked for my mom's contact info. She called me back a few hours later, said she verified the insurance and would pay for our transportation and all associated expenses. We could leave the next day. I thanked her, told her I would talk to my mom and get back with her. I was talking to her on my cell phone and I was with my mom. As soon as I hung up my mom's phone rang, it was the nice lady. Hmmmm. She gave my mom the whole story about her making the transportation arrangements and us leaving the next day. My mom thanked her and said she'd advise. About 2 hours later the nice lady called me back and began to really pressure me, telling me that I was wasting time. As I began to question her more, I began to understand this was an all or nothing deal. They didn't want us to see anyone else, would not agree to coordinate with a local oncologist so that my mom could get treatments close to home. My mom really wanted to be close to home. My mom and I discussed it and agreed that CCA was not the right choice for her. I called the nice lady and thanked her for her time and info. She was indignant, said she couldn't believe that we had spoken to other people and facilities. I again thanked her and told her that CCA was not the right choice for us. She continued to call me and my mom every day for 9 days. I finally had to tell her flat out 'do not call us again'. I guess I could have given you a shorter version but that just wouldn't be me. Sorry!
    Good luck! You will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
    Janet

Calling me too
    Hi Janet,
    thanks for the response, I know they keep calling me and emailing me also. The thing is I live in Hawaii and they want me to go to Chicago, but I keep telling them it's too far for me. Thank you for your story and taking the time out to respond, I appreciate it!
    Much love
    Donna