Breast Cancer and Iodine

Options
roseann4
roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

I just read the book,"Breast Cancer and Iodine" by Dr. David M. Derry. It really made me think. He said that iodine is vital to proper tyroid function and there is a correlation between low iodine levels and breast cancer. I have never had my levels checked but have had fibrocycstic breasts until menapause. He said that iodine has reversed fibrocycstic disease. Not everyone with cycstic breasts gets breast cancer but his argument is very convincing. Has anyone heard of this correlation between iodine and breast cancer?

Roseann

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    I read something about this
    I read something about this in a magazine this week. I'm not sure what to think about it ...
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Roseann,
    I've never heard of that,but I have dense,cystic breasts and poor thyroid function managed by levothyroxine.Very interesting...
  • roseann4
    Options

Roseann,
    I've never heard of that,but I have dense,cystic breasts and poor thyroid function managed by levothyroxine.Very interesting...

I found the book on Amazon...
    Outdoorgirl,

I have some of the symptoms of low thyroid function but never had it checked. I will now! He said that Japanese women who eat seaweed (high in iodine) have the least breast cancer in the world. They get 10 times the recommended dose for women in the US. The way iodine works is that it is necessary in order for the thyroid to make the hormone that helps regulate cell duplication and cell death. In North America our diets don't provide much iodine and now we are limiting iodized salt making the situation worse. The book goes into the details of how this works and also how iodine can keep breast cancer from spreading. It really makes sense the way he describes it. The book is small, inexpensive and easy to read. I hope you will read it so we can have more discussion. I'm beginning to think I need to do my own research if I want to stay cancer free.

Roseann
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Outdoorgirl,

I have some of the symptoms of low thyroid function but never had it checked. I will now! He said that Japanese women who eat seaweed (high in iodine) have the least breast cancer in the world. They get 10 times the recommended dose for women in the US. The way iodine works is that it is necessary in order for the thyroid to make the hormone that helps regulate cell duplication and cell death. In North America our diets don't provide much iodine and now we are limiting iodized salt making the situation worse. The book goes into the details of how this works and also how iodine can keep breast cancer from spreading. It really makes sense the way he describes it. The book is small, inexpensive and easy to read. I hope you will read it so we can have more discussion. I'm beginning to think I need to do my own research if I want to stay cancer free.

Roseann

Yes,we
    do have to be our own advocates! I think this is something that you should bring up with your onc as will I and see what they have to say about it.
    I remember when they used to say that too much iodine was bad-how much is too much?!
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    Options
    iodine, thyroid function and breast cancer
    Roseann, thanks so much for posting this.
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 1993 and after the first year of adjusting the levothyroxine dose, I have been on the same dose for 15 years.
    Then in Jan. 09 my bloodwork indicated I was getting too much medicine, so the dose was lowered, every 4 weeks I was checked, and by April 09 I was taking only half the usual dose.
    In May I found my fourth breast lump, this one was diagnosed as cancer in June. In July I had lumpectomy, and the lab work day before surgery at pre-op indicated I was not getting enough thyroid medication, so I was told to double up meds the nite before surgery and the morning of surgery and then stay on the regular dose until I saw my primary doc again in august. My doc lowered the dose to 3/4 of the usual dose after I had lab again, and now I just had lab thursday (9/24)but have not had a call from her yet with results. I know the test is just called TSH and I dont know if that included iodine levels, but I am for sure gonna ask.
    I wish you good luck with your thyroid test, when I was first diagnosed my symptoms were tiredness, dry skin, hair loss, feeling cold.
    sgamtd
  • roseann4
    Options
    sgamtd said:

iodine, thyroid function and breast cancer
    Roseann, thanks so much for posting this.
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 1993 and after the first year of adjusting the levothyroxine dose, I have been on the same dose for 15 years.
    Then in Jan. 09 my bloodwork indicated I was getting too much medicine, so the dose was lowered, every 4 weeks I was checked, and by April 09 I was taking only half the usual dose.
    In May I found my fourth breast lump, this one was diagnosed as cancer in June. In July I had lumpectomy, and the lab work day before surgery at pre-op indicated I was not getting enough thyroid medication, so I was told to double up meds the nite before surgery and the morning of surgery and then stay on the regular dose until I saw my primary doc again in august. My doc lowered the dose to 3/4 of the usual dose after I had lab again, and now I just had lab thursday (9/24)but have not had a call from her yet with results. I know the test is just called TSH and I dont know if that included iodine levels, but I am for sure gonna ask.
    I wish you good luck with your thyroid test, when I was first diagnosed my symptoms were tiredness, dry skin, hair loss, feeling cold.
    sgamtd

He talks about that test in the book.
    Hi Sgamtd,

Prior to my BC diagnosis, my hairdresser said my hair was thinning at my hair line. I think it is thinner all over. I always had very thick hair so it wouldn't be obvious to anyone else. My skin is very dry and I use 3 different moisturizers on my face every day. I also have very dry eyes but I don't know if that is related. I suffered with mild depression during menapause (I'm 59) and have much less energy. I put that to my age. I am constantly cold at work because my younger employees like it on the cool side. I am very sensitive to cold. My sister had similar symptoms but was checked and told her thyroid was fine so I figured mine was too. The book claims that "In the breast, the precursor state is caused by relatively low levels of iodine intake." He also states, "Iodine in adequate doses neutralizes carcinogens, removes abnormal cells, kill viruses, which might be carcinogenic, and neutralizes toxins from other micro-organisms." He believes the connective tissues is the primary defense for the growth and spread of cancer and it will not be able to do that effectively without a saturation of iodine. So interesting! He explains historically what you said about underestimating safe amounts of iodine. The Japanese take high doses in their diet with no complications and less breast cancer. Because of high nitrates in their diet, they have more stomach cancer but he sais it is not related to iodine intake.

I am sure my docs will dismiss this as it certainly isn't main stream. We read so much that it is logical that some claims may not be right. However, something in this book rang true for me so I am going to follow up until I get some answers. No one has even suggested checking any of my hormone levels which is odd with hormone receptive cancer.

Years ago, my nephew was having a problem that caused him to "poop" in his pants every day on the bus coming home from school. He was 11 so the doc said that it was probably emotional and they went through a year of theropy with no results. I pulled out a health book that came with a set of encyclopedias (remember those?). It gave the answer to the problem in simple terms. With a colonic enema the boy was fine. I had to diagnosis it! Sense then, I have always done my own research. Have you seen "Lorenzo's Oil"?

Thanks for your comments.

Roseann
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    roseann4 said:

He talks about that test in the book.
    Hi Sgamtd,

Prior to my BC diagnosis, my hairdresser said my hair was thinning at my hair line. I think it is thinner all over. I always had very thick hair so it wouldn't be obvious to anyone else. My skin is very dry and I use 3 different moisturizers on my face every day. I also have very dry eyes but I don't know if that is related. I suffered with mild depression during menapause (I'm 59) and have much less energy. I put that to my age. I am constantly cold at work because my younger employees like it on the cool side. I am very sensitive to cold. My sister had similar symptoms but was checked and told her thyroid was fine so I figured mine was too. The book claims that "In the breast, the precursor state is caused by relatively low levels of iodine intake." He also states, "Iodine in adequate doses neutralizes carcinogens, removes abnormal cells, kill viruses, which might be carcinogenic, and neutralizes toxins from other micro-organisms." He believes the connective tissues is the primary defense for the growth and spread of cancer and it will not be able to do that effectively without a saturation of iodine. So interesting! He explains historically what you said about underestimating safe amounts of iodine. The Japanese take high doses in their diet with no complications and less breast cancer. Because of high nitrates in their diet, they have more stomach cancer but he sais it is not related to iodine intake.

I am sure my docs will dismiss this as it certainly isn't main stream. We read so much that it is logical that some claims may not be right. However, something in this book rang true for me so I am going to follow up until I get some answers. No one has even suggested checking any of my hormone levels which is odd with hormone receptive cancer.

Years ago, my nephew was having a problem that caused him to "poop" in his pants every day on the bus coming home from school. He was 11 so the doc said that it was probably emotional and they went through a year of theropy with no results. I pulled out a health book that came with a set of encyclopedias (remember those?). It gave the answer to the problem in simple terms. With a colonic enema the boy was fine. I had to diagnosis it! Sense then, I have always done my own research. Have you seen "Lorenzo's Oil"?

Thanks for your comments.

Roseann

Hypothyroidism
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an inherited autoimmune disease - it sounds scary, but it only means that my body creates antibodies that attack my thyroid, so I take levothyroxine and Armour Thyroid to keep my thyroid going, like a diabetic takes insulin.

I was diagnosed with BC a year and a half ago and have done a lot of research. I remember that I read about a study that found low thryoid function associated with lobular bc of a less aggressive type. At that time the jury was still out. I haven't followed that line of research, but I believe it is ongoing. I probably found it by googling "breast cancer and Hashimoto's thyroiditis."

It's not always easy and definitely not fun trying to get those blood levels right. Be sure your blood work includes a TSH sensitive and T4 test.

xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • roseann4
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Hypothyroidism
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an inherited autoimmune disease - it sounds scary, but it only means that my body creates antibodies that attack my thyroid, so I take levothyroxine and Armour Thyroid to keep my thyroid going, like a diabetic takes insulin.

I was diagnosed with BC a year and a half ago and have done a lot of research. I remember that I read about a study that found low thryoid function associated with lobular bc of a less aggressive type. At that time the jury was still out. I haven't followed that line of research, but I believe it is ongoing. I probably found it by googling "breast cancer and Hashimoto's thyroiditis."

It's not always easy and definitely not fun trying to get those blood levels right. Be sure your blood work includes a TSH sensitive and T4 test.

xoxoxoxo Lynn

My cancer was Lobular!
    Hi Lynn,

My cancer was diagnosed as Stage 1 lobular and node negative. It is not agressive so I did not need chemo. Amazing. Thanks for your response and I'll be sure to have the tests you recommended.

Roseann
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    I had not heard of this before and was glad to read about it.....Will ask my oncologist about it......Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

What I have been reading and researching is low Vitamin D levels and that connection to breast cancer. Seems to be a link there. I know I had my levels checked for the first time last year.......very very low. Was put on 50,000 units per week for 6 weeks. Never had it checked again.....Then the bc diagnosis, a year later....my lab work showed that my level was very low, again. I am taking the 50,000 units again. My oncologist said there is a study that is examining this very thing...They think the use of sun screen is a big factor in low vitamin D levels..he said we got the most Vitamin D on our faces and hands. And where is the first place most women use sunscreen? On their faces! He told me to sit outside for 15 minutes a day, even in cold weather, if possible, when the sun was shining. Been trying to do that!
    Again, thanks for the info on iodine.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Yes,we
    do have to be our own advocates! I think this is something that you should bring up with your onc as will I and see what they have to say about it.
    I remember when they used to say that too much iodine was bad-how much is too much?!

This is great info! Thank
    This is great info! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Angie
  • karaokelorie
    karaokelorie Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Breast Cancer and Thyroid
    very interesting theory!
    At the age of 39 I had Graves disese, they zapped my thyroid with radioactive iodine,had put me on Synthroid - levathroid up and down at different doses . Age 55 had Breast Cancer ??? Very Interesting
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

Breast Cancer and Thyroid
    very interesting theory!
    At the age of 39 I had Graves disese, they zapped my thyroid with radioactive iodine,had put me on Synthroid - levathroid up and down at different doses . Age 55 had Breast Cancer ??? Very Interesting

You probably know that
    You probably know that Graves and Hashimotos belong to the same class of disease, only polar opposites. My thryroiditis was finally diagnosed when I was 39. I had all the symptoms of hypothyroidism since my college days, but I was only ever tested for anemia when my ob-gyn noticed the goiter growing on my neck. My BC was diagnosed when I was 57, but had been growing for at least two years (my first biopsy missed the cancer). It is estimated that 10 per cent of women eventually develop hypothyroidism. xoxoxox Lynn
  • roseann4
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

You probably know that
    You probably know that Graves and Hashimotos belong to the same class of disease, only polar opposites. My thryroiditis was finally diagnosed when I was 39. I had all the symptoms of hypothyroidism since my college days, but I was only ever tested for anemia when my ob-gyn noticed the goiter growing on my neck. My BC was diagnosed when I was 57, but had been growing for at least two years (my first biopsy missed the cancer). It is estimated that 10 per cent of women eventually develop hypothyroidism. xoxoxox Lynn

Iodine and goiters
    Hi Lynn

In the book he talks about iodine being used to shrink goiters. Were you born in 1950? I was born on 11/4/50.

Roseann
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Outdoorgirl,

Roseann

Thanks for the
    Thanks for the information!

Sue :)
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Iodine and goiters
    Hi Lynn

In the book he talks about iodine being used to shrink goiters. Were you born in 1950? I was born on 11/4/50.

Roseann

Thanks for posting this. I
    Thanks for posting this. I have never heard of this before. Very interesting!

♥ Noel