Options
2»

Comments

• serrana
    serrana Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

question for serrana
    Hi Rebecca: please forgive me, do not mean to divert your post but I wanted to ask Serrana a question.

Serrana I have been on xeloda twice now. I wonder if you could explain to me what you mean by that drug trashing you GI I have some digestive questions and it would be good to compare notes.

mags

xeloda
    Ah, the xeloda question........my first ( of 3) onc said it was the "same" as 5-FU so I went on 6 weeks neoadj w/ radiation before my resection. The response was complete and there were no tumor cells left. However since then I have been lactose, wheat and fat intolerant to the max. It couldn't be the radiation because that was targeted to my rectum.The first onc had "never seen anyone have trouble w/ xeloda" That was in 2007.
    It's been 2 1/2 years and I am just now getting to where the diareha ( sp?) and constipation and pain cycles are going away but I am still intolerant of all the above. It is like having Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    My second onc said in 2008 they were "just discovering" that xeloda affects the lining of the gi tract in the above way. Makes sense since it is supposed to be killing those fast growing cells and you are putting it directly into the pipeline.
    My third onc sent me to a gi doc who didn't know what to recommend.
    I limit my food groups dramatically now, am on pancreatic enzymes, probiotics, digestive enzymes and prayer. Hope this helps.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    serrana said:

xeloda
    Ah, the xeloda question........my first ( of 3) onc said it was the "same" as 5-FU so I went on 6 weeks neoadj w/ radiation before my resection. The response was complete and there were no tumor cells left. However since then I have been lactose, wheat and fat intolerant to the max. It couldn't be the radiation because that was targeted to my rectum.The first onc had "never seen anyone have trouble w/ xeloda" That was in 2007.
    It's been 2 1/2 years and I am just now getting to where the diareha ( sp?) and constipation and pain cycles are going away but I am still intolerant of all the above. It is like having Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    My second onc said in 2008 they were "just discovering" that xeloda affects the lining of the gi tract in the above way. Makes sense since it is supposed to be killing those fast growing cells and you are putting it directly into the pipeline.
    My third onc sent me to a gi doc who didn't know what to recommend.
    I limit my food groups dramatically now, am on pancreatic enzymes, probiotics, digestive enzymes and prayer. Hope this helps.

thank you serrana
    I am six months out of my 2nd xeloda regime and some of what you say really strikes home. I too do probiotics but I don't know what digestive enzymes are....I'll look into that. I have lots of pain and symptoms....so maybe I'll just keep a strict log of what I eat and see if I can elmiminate the swings between constipation and diarahea sp? Alot of my pain occurs in bed at night...bowel pain for sure and during the day a feeling of relux

thanks for your help

mags
  • serrana
    serrana Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

thank you serrana
    I am six months out of my 2nd xeloda regime and some of what you say really strikes home. I too do probiotics but I don't know what digestive enzymes are....I'll look into that. I have lots of pain and symptoms....so maybe I'll just keep a strict log of what I eat and see if I can elmiminate the swings between constipation and diarahea sp? Alot of my pain occurs in bed at night...bowel pain for sure and during the day a feeling of relux

thanks for your help

mags

xeloda
    I suggest you do keep a food diary and look in to digestive enzymes
    I am on betaine HCI for stomach digestion, Creon for fat digestion ( an rx) and Garden of Life UltraQ-xyme digestive enzymes, Beano and Gas-X. I determined that it was the dairy and wheat products that were causing pain. Also gassy foods will do that too so I do the Beano and Gas - X with every meal. I don't eat fried foods, raw veggies or meat, dark meat chicken or poultry skin because of the fat content. Check out the website for IBS which is fabulous.........www.helpforIBS.com and Heather's IBS books.
    Best of luck on this, it will get better with determination.
    Serrana