Results of CT scan and treatment for ascites

Options
Hissy_Fitz
Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Last night was the worst night of my life. The pain woke me up around 4AM and it was the nearest thing to "unbearable" I have ever experienced. I took 3 Vicodin with the span of one hour and it didn't touch it. This AM I called the Oncologist's nurse and told her I could not hold out for 5 more days - until my surgery on Tuesday. She called me back and said she had scheduled a paracentesis for 12:15. By the time the procedure actually got underway, it was 2:30, but it relieved 99% of my pain and I am very, very grateful. They drained off 3 liters of greenish/yellow fluid.

While I was on the phone with the nurse, I asked about my CT scan report, and it's not good. There are swollen lymph nodes adjacent to the abdominal arota and "caking" throughout the omentum. She thinks we are looking at Stage 3, at best.

I have cried buckets - maybe a small river (or at least a stream). Everytime I talk to my daughter, my voice breaks, or her voice breaks, and we have another cloud burst. I am trying so hard to hold myself together for my kids and my grandchildren. My oldest granddaughter is a senior in high school and I am worried that my illness is impacting her work. A topic in a class discussion yesterday sent her into a torrent of tears and the teacher had to take her out of the the classroom for a half hour.

This is so unfair to the people who love us. The more I think about it, the more I understand why elephants go off by themselves to die.

On a happier note.......I am so looking forward to a good night's sleep. I am taking my meds and hopping between the covers right now!

I fall asleep saying my prayers. It is the most effective relaxation technique in the world. I will be praying for my fellow warriors as I fall asleep tonight. God bless you and keep you strong.

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    abdominal pain
    I had severe abdominal pain when I was first diagnosed from a resulting bowel obstruction. I still suffer from periodic abdominal pain and I find the intensity of it VERY scary. I have a high pain tolerance and I find this abdominal pain unbearable!! I feel your pain-I've been there. Sometimes I feel it is so unfair. I'm young and was always healthy! I went to the doctor regularly, ate well, exercised. I have a 6 year old and 4 year old and being 'sick' scares me. The thought of leaving them is to unbearable to consider.

I'm glad your pain is relieved. Pain mgnt effects quality of life. I try to live for today. Today I'm feeling good and I'm able to function fully. I never know when my last meal is going to send my abdomen into spasms and render me bedridden.

Be well and good luck.
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Hugs
    So sorry to hear of your news, but glad to hear you got relief from the worst of the pain. I know how painful all the fluid can be. NOW HEAR THIS ~ stage 3 does not mean death ~ there are many women who go into remission after surgery and treatment, my sister is now 9 years and has never had a recurrence and I know you well hear from others here. I myself have lived with having cancer for almost 7 years now(not meant to scare you but to give you hope). Let the tears come as for me tears cleanse the soul and then I am ready for the battle. Sending lots of hugs ♥ prayers your way. Bonnie

Isaiah 43 1b-3a "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God,
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    BonnieR said:

Hugs
    So sorry to hear of your news, but glad to hear you got relief from the worst of the pain. I know how painful all the fluid can be. NOW HEAR THIS ~ stage 3 does not mean death ~ there are many women who go into remission after surgery and treatment, my sister is now 9 years and has never had a recurrence and I know you well hear from others here. I myself have lived with having cancer for almost 7 years now(not meant to scare you but to give you hope). Let the tears come as for me tears cleanse the soul and then I am ready for the battle. Sending lots of hugs ♥ prayers your way. Bonnie

Isaiah 43 1b-3a "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God,

stories of hope
    Bonnie it is indeed stories like yours that gives me hope. I may be incurable but, by gosh, if I live 7 years I will be happy!!! Who would have ever thought 7 years would seem like a gift? I always think oh if I were older and didn't have young kids it would be easier. After reading all the stories of pain I realize being older doesn't make it easier. Thanks for your inspirational words.
  • froggy1
    froggy1 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Thinking of you
    Hi Hissy,
    'Just want you to know another warrior is thinking of you. You are where we all have been now, in pain and fearing the unknown. I guess I was "lucky." I went from the ER right into the hospital and had surgery immediately, not much time to think. 'Had it not been Labor Day week-end, my Dr. said he would have done it that day(a year ago)
    I believe that once you are out of pain and you have a plan, you will feel much better.
    This board is just the best. There is so much knowledge here and there never is a dumb question.
    'Will keep you in my prayers. Love, Froggy
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Crying is the new normal
    Crying is normal for the number of scary things coming your way at this time. I am telling you that this stage will pass. The CT scan was not a death sentence (I thought it was for about 2 months). Keep educating yourself as much as you can, keep walking some everyday and now you will be more comfortable with the fluid gone. Take it one day at a time. Come here and ask for help when you need us. We are here for you. Have you been told of a support group in your clinic? They are helpful also. Saundra
  • veggiegal
    veggiegal Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I understand the relief you
    I understand the relief you got from having the fluid drained. After my surgery I was diagnosed with stage 3-c ovarian cancer. Upon returning home from the hospital I began to feel very bloated and it kept getting worse, and I had gained about 14 pounds and hadn't even been able to eat. When I went to the doctor he sent me immediately to the er where after waiting two hours they took 6 liters of fluid from me and I felt so good after that. They began chemo the next day as they said that the chemo would help to prevent the acites from building up again and it did. I am now two years out from being diagnosed so be hopeful.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • BrittanyC
    BrittanyC Member Posts: 100
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

I think my mom was drained
    I think my mom was drained also during the surgery. I think it was 1 liter? Not sure.

If I recall, my mom was bloated and in pain back in April before she went to the ER.

I do not like CT scans :( I get scared to what is going to be found.

I am praying for you :)
  • newhopechurchli
    newhopechurchli Member Posts: 126
    Options
    BonnieR said:

Hugs

When you pass through the water, I will be with you....
    Love that scripture... Isaiah 43
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • ManyWheat
    ManyWheat Member Posts: 6
    Options
    We tried to "deflate" my Mom too!!
    I dont know what you are going through personally, but I have "been there" My Mom has had severe abdominal pain and they drained her too. Unfortuneatly all the fluid in her stomach is in very small sacks. The largest one was on 330cc. They only drained that one....said they would have to poke her hundreds of times to get any relief. She had 50lbs of fluid on her stomach when she passed....I can only imagine the pain that that had to cause her.

I am so very grateful that you were able to be drained!! I have cried rivers and rivers too...maybe even a huge lake by now. This whole process is extremely unfair to that individual and to the familiy, but the last 6 weeks that I spent with my Mom will be something that I cherish forever and wouldnt change a bit. I am glad that I was able to be there to help her to the bathroom and buy her a Sonic slushie when she wanted one. As horrible as it is, it has brought us all closer together and been a very humbling experience. You never know how long you have left....cancer or no cancer. Just try to enjoy the time you have and not worry so much.

God bless you and your family and I wish you many, many years of remission!