Escaped from the Steel City

Options
groundeffect
groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi to all,

My husband and I left Pittsburgh on Tuesd., Sept. 22, just as things were really getting geared up the the G20 Summit there. We hadn't expected to be there past Saturday.

My surgery on Sept. 16th went very well, but I did have a bit of a heart problem that I'm going to have to watch, probably for the rest of my life. I've spoken with one of the women in my support group who had a heart attack in 1979, and she assures me it's not that bad to have to deal with. My gyn/onc is very pleased with the way the surgery went, and I'm pleased with the appearance of my incision. When I had my hysterectomy seven years ago, the wound took a long time to heal and was pretty unattractive when it did.

I just wanted to drop in and say I'm alive and well, and hope everyone on the board is feeling good. I've been having this hanging over my head for almost two years now, and it's great to have it brought to a rather simple resolution. I didn't have a temporary colostomy, and my ureterers came through unscathed, and that makes me very happy!

Love you all,

Sue

Comments

• BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    HUGS
    Hello Sue, so good to come here and see your smiling face this morning. I have to tell you my first surgery I almost didn't make it through it ~ but like your friend in group I am still here. Women with ovarian cancer tough.. woman of teal are made of steel :-)

Anyway welcome home and now rest and recoup..don't lift anything longer than the 6 weeks told... with chemo and surgery this helps prevent a future hernia problem. They don't tell us that with chemo the abdominal wall heals so much slower and walla next thing we are dealing with hernia.

Love you too.. and lots of gentle hugs and continued prayers coming your way. Bonnie
  • groundeffect
    Options
    BonnieR said:

HUGS
    Hello Sue, so good to come here and see your smiling face this morning. I have to tell you my first surgery I almost didn't make it through it ~ but like your friend in group I am still here. Women with ovarian cancer tough.. woman of teal are made of steel :-)

Anyway welcome home and now rest and recoup..don't lift anything longer than the 6 weeks told... with chemo and surgery this helps prevent a future hernia problem. They don't tell us that with chemo the abdominal wall heals so much slower and walla next thing we are dealing with hernia.

Love you too.. and lots of gentle hugs and continued prayers coming your way. Bonnie

Appreciate the care
    Thank you, Bonnie! You always make extra effort to keep tabs on your pals!

I feel I have had such excellent support through this from my nurses and hospital attendants, the gaggles of interns/residents who would prance in almost every morning, even the folks who pushed me around the hospitals to various tests, it's almost overwhelming. My husband is the true shining star-he spent most of his time in my room, and never failed to grill anyone who presented in my room to look/poke/observe!
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Dear Sue,
    So glad you are back. We missed you and prayed for your surgery. You did not have to have a colostomy?
    That is the best news to my waiting in the wings ears. I just battled another round of anti biotics for a diverticulitis flare up. Anyhoo, take it easy and heal the best you can. Keep the faith, (((Hugs and Prayers))) Saundra
  • jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Glad You Are Back
    Hi Sue
    So glad to hear that you did not have to have the colostomy and that you are doing well! I don't post very often but come here and look to see how everyone is and was so glad to see your name! Stay well and keep us posted!
    Love and hugs to you
    Jami
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Sue,
    welcome back! Great news on a successful surgery!!! I hope your recovery continues to go well. Will you be doing a chemo treatment?
    Warm hugs,
    Kathleen:)
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HUGS & PRAYERS
    So glad to hear, Sue! We all can use the good news today! Sending lots of hugs and prayers!

Monika
  • groundeffect
    Options
    mopar said:

HUGS & PRAYERS
    So glad to hear, Sue! We all can use the good news today! Sending lots of hugs and prayers!

Monika

Thanks to all!
    Hi Everyone,

I did not have to have a colostomy. The oncologist put a temporary stent in my right ureterer because he wanted it to have more stability because it was so close to the tumor, which was attached to the abdominal lining. The pathology report said it was the same type of ovarian that was originally removed, and that it was well defined, and had not spread to the places that were sampled.

I will be having IP chemo in the not too far future. I guess the thought is to let a lot of healing get done before it is started.

Hugs,

Sue
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options

Thanks to all!
    Hi Everyone,

I did not have to have a colostomy. The oncologist put a temporary stent in my right ureterer because he wanted it to have more stability because it was so close to the tumor, which was attached to the abdominal lining. The pathology report said it was the same type of ovarian that was originally removed, and that it was well defined, and had not spread to the places that were sampled.

I will be having IP chemo in the not too far future. I guess the thought is to let a lot of healing get done before it is started.

Hugs,

Sue

wonderful
    Sue,

Glad no colostomy. Keeping you in prayer.

In His Grip,
    Libby