Dumb ?

pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What is LCIS and DCIS? And what is tamoxifen?

Comments

• Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Not dumb!
    Hi,

LCIS is Lobular Carcinoma in Situ and DCIS is Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. They are both early forms of breast cancer before they become invasive. They are usually considered Stage 0.

Tamoxifen is a drug given to women with estrogen positive breast cancer - which is a type of breast cancer that feeds on estrogen. Tamoxifen surpresses the body's production of estrogen. It is usually given for 5 years post-treatment and is very helpful in reducing one's risk of recurrence.

Hope that helps!

Fran
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Fran1947 said:

Not dumb!
    Hi,

LCIS is Lobular Carcinoma in Situ and DCIS is Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. They are both early forms of breast cancer before they become invasive. They are usually considered Stage 0.

Tamoxifen is a drug given to women with estrogen positive breast cancer - which is a type of breast cancer that feeds on estrogen. Tamoxifen surpresses the body's production of estrogen. It is usually given for 5 years post-treatment and is very helpful in reducing one's risk of recurrence.

Hope that helps!

Fran

that helps
    I have a triple negative breast cancer so that's why I was not informed of these drugs, good to here there is something out there for estrogen positive patients :) Not sure what there going to do with me after chemo, surgery, rad.
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72

that helps
    I have a triple negative breast cancer so that's why I was not informed of these drugs, good to here there is something out there for estrogen positive patients :) Not sure what there going to do with me after chemo, surgery, rad.

Triple Negative
    Hi,

There may be something new out specifically for triple negative. I have read that there are a number of clinical trials for targeted therapies for TNBC. Ask your oncologist.

Hugs,

Fran
  • JaneE2366
    JaneE2366 Member Posts: 289 Member
    Fran1947 said:

Not dumb!
    Hi,

Hope that helps!

Fran

Tamoxifen
    Hello Ladies,
    Just an FYI....Tamoxifen is also used as a preventive. 6 years they found some pre-cancer cells in my breast.....and since we had a history of breast cancer in my family, my surgeon decided to give me Tamoxifen for 5 years. Been off of it for 1 year and (knock on wood)all has been well.
    Jane
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    JaneE2366 said:

Tamoxifen
    Hello Ladies,
    Just an FYI....Tamoxifen is also used as a preventive. 6 years they found some pre-cancer cells in my breast.....and since we had a history of breast cancer in my family, my surgeon decided to give me Tamoxifen for 5 years. Been off of it for 1 year and (knock on wood)all has been well.
    Jane

That's good
    to hear,Jane...
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Okay kms
    One of our mottos here is that there is never a dumb question!!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Okay kms

Patty is right. There are
    Patty is right. There are no dumb questions. Ask anything anytime!

Glad you got your answers!

HUGS
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Okay kms

Thank goodness outdoor girl
    Thank goodness outdoor girl or I would be in big trouble. lol Dumb questions do not exist on this site, so, ask anything. Right?

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    susie09 said:

Thank goodness outdoor girl
    Thank goodness outdoor girl or I would be in big trouble. lol Dumb questions do not exist on this site, so, ask anything. Right?

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

I have DCIS - stage 1
    Due to the HER2 and High grade of my tumor . I am still sorting thru everything mentally. I would of only required radition, however due to the Her2 cancer, I am currently going thru chemo as well.

Chemo first, then bi lateral .. I may not need rad's.

VickiSam