Oncotype DX results

Options
lanie940
lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK, I was going nuts wanting to know what my score was.I have my appointment tomorrow afternoon with my Oncology Surgeon and the Medical Oncologist. But Since they called and changed my appointment times twice today, I was so frustrated, from afternoon to morning, then back to afternoon! So, the gal doing the schedule said she would call my Oncologist nurse, fax the results, I just got the call. I'm in the gray area. My score was 21. Now she told me that the Medical Oncologist will be able to tell me more about percentages, she suggested it may only lower my risk by 2 or 3% if I had the chemo, so I'll wait to see what Dr. Nakajimma says. If it lowers it by only 5% or less, I will skip the chemo, The Arimidex itself will lower my risk by 50% she told me. She also told me something else, and I read something that confirmed it. SOY has natural estrogen, so if you are on anti estrogen drugs you shouldn't eat soy or soy products.

It is something, some drugs and like soy can protect you BEFORE you get BC, but aren't good after you already have it. I know where I used to buy my hamburger the company they got it from used soy as an extender. Have you ever made hamburger patties or meatloaf and even when it is fully cooked, it still has a pinkish hue? that is because of SOY.

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Lanie, I knew about the
    Hi Lanie, I knew about the soy and I try to avoid it at all costs. Now, I buy my own chop meat and make the patties myself so that I don't run into the risk of having burgers with soy. (Not that I eat that many anyway) Let us know what your oncologist says later after your visit. Hugs, Lili
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Didn't even think
    about soy being in fast food hamburgers! Guess I'm not eating any more of those-except for ..are Steak and Shake burgers anti soy?Please tell me they are(love that place!!)! If not guess I'll just eat them if we cook them at home...sigh...And it can even be in hamburger bought from the grocery store?!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Didn't even think
    about soy being in fast food hamburgers! Guess I'm not eating any more of those-except for ..are Steak and Shake burgers anti soy?Please tell me they are(love that place!!)! If not guess I'll just eat them if we cook them at home...sigh...And it can even be in hamburger bought from the grocery store?!

Soy should be avoided for ER+
    Hi everyone,
    I think we should not be obsessed with traces of soy, but soy pure soy protein and products should be completely eliminated for hormone dependent cancer.
    No more soy milk, tofu, soy beans.
    Cheers
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Didn't even think

A big issue with beef
    The big problem with eating non-organic beef is that the cows are injected with hormones. I tried grass fed organic beef but because it had no fat, it had no flavor. I now avoid beef as my tumor was highly estrogen receptive.

Roseann
  • lanie940
    Options
    roseann4 said:

A big issue with beef
    The big problem with eating non-organic beef is that the cows are injected with hormones. I tried grass fed organic beef but because it had no fat, it had no flavor. I now avoid beef as my tumor was highly estrogen receptive.

Roseann

I don't eat much meat, but I
    I don't eat much meat, but I do have some. My tumor was 95% ER receptive
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    There goes my spicy soy beans!
    Since moving to Hawaii, I've grown to love these. My tumor was 80% positive for estrogen so I guess that leaves out the beans - I could eat a large container all by myself within a day a couple times a week.
    It's tough being in a "gray area". Given the size of my tumor (just over the magic # of <2.0) I'm already getting set up for chemo. I will also be on the Arimidex. Between the 2 I am hoping (based on what the onco dr told me, this should lower my percentages from 40-50% to 5-10%. For me that was a no-brainer.

To the rest of the BC sisterhood.
    Are there any good nutrition sites for BC surviving and chemo? My PCP mentioned some dietary changes when he took out the last drain yesterday. He recommended some things to start building myself up prior to chemo starting.
    Lola
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options

There goes my spicy soy beans!
    Since moving to Hawaii, I've grown to love these. My tumor was 80% positive for estrogen so I guess that leaves out the beans - I could eat a large container all by myself within a day a couple times a week.
    It's tough being in a "gray area". Given the size of my tumor (just over the magic # of <2.0) I'm already getting set up for chemo. I will also be on the Arimidex. Between the 2 I am hoping (based on what the onco dr told me, this should lower my percentages from 40-50% to 5-10%. For me that was a no-brainer.

To the rest of the BC sisterhood.
    Are there any good nutrition sites for BC surviving and chemo? My PCP mentioned some dietary changes when he took out the last drain yesterday. He recommended some things to start building myself up prior to chemo starting.
    Lola</p>

Lanie
    I just read your results. 21?? that's really not bad. it's at the lower end of the gray area... still waiting on my results...
  • lanie940
    Options
    Calleen said:

Lanie
    I just read your results. 21?? that's really not bad. it's at the lower end of the gray area... still waiting on my results...

Yes, so with hormone therapy
    Yes, so with hormone therapy and the radiation, my Medical Oncologist said my risk rate is 13%. So, I can handle that.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    My score was 32
    Hi Lanie,
    My score was 32. I had heard about soy but wasn't aware of the pinkish color in hamburger - thanks for the info. Take care!
    -Jenny
  • ColoradoGal
    ColoradoGal Member Posts: 14
    Options
    My score was also 21 and I decided to skip chemo
    Lanie,

I had T2,n0,m0, Er+/pr+, HER2 negtive invasive DC. No family history. My Oncotype was also 21, on the cusp between low and intermediate risk. My recurrence risk WITHOUT chemo is 14% - however, all three oncologlists who reviewed my files gave me very similar risk improvement ranges. One said 30%, the other 35% and the last one 40%. But that rate of improvement is relative to the 14%, so in essence, at best (40%), I would see an improvement of 5.6% (40% of 12%) and given that all of my other indications are favorable, the damaging side effects of chemo, are not worth the slight improvement. I will be taking Tamoxifen only and will try to reduce the other risk factors, such as diet, stress, etc. Up until I was dx's in July of 09, I used to work sick, long 12-16 hour days, fueled by coffee, chocolate and not much else. Didn't get enough rest, it was go-go-go, and even though I am considered skinny, my crazy work schedule did not allow time for exercise. Hmm, wonder why my body failed me?? Anyway, I'll take my 86% chance of cancer free survival and do my best to bridge the gap to 100% by changing my evil ways through a more respectful attitude toward the care of my body. I guess I was not as bullet proof as I once thought.
  • lanie940
    Options

My score was also 21 and I decided to skip chemo
    Lanie,

I had T2,n0,m0, Er+/pr+, HER2 negtive invasive DC. No family history. My Oncotype was also 21, on the cusp between low and intermediate risk. My recurrence risk WITHOUT chemo is 14% - however, all three oncologlists who reviewed my files gave me very similar risk improvement ranges. One said 30%, the other 35% and the last one 40%. But that rate of improvement is relative to the 14%, so in essence, at best (40%), I would see an improvement of 5.6% (40% of 12%) and given that all of my other indications are favorable, the damaging side effects of chemo, are not worth the slight improvement. I will be taking Tamoxifen only and will try to reduce the other risk factors, such as diet, stress, etc. Up until I was dx's in July of 09, I used to work sick, long 12-16 hour days, fueled by coffee, chocolate and not much else. Didn't get enough rest, it was go-go-go, and even though I am considered skinny, my crazy work schedule did not allow time for exercise. Hmm, wonder why my body failed me?? Anyway, I'll take my 86% chance of cancer free survival and do my best to bridge the gap to 100% by changing my evil ways through a more respectful attitude toward the care of my body. I guess I was not as bullet proof as I once thought.

Thanks, so we both had a 21.
    Thanks, so we both had a 21. I have had a lot of stress, with the problems my son had and my grandson, that's a looong story I'd rather not get into, but it took an expensive toll on me and my husband. Things a a bit better now. I let things get to me that I shouldn't, I have to let things go. My health problems came to a head last Fall, well, actually Summer of 2008. I had been on Fosamax for osteopenia and i'm pretty sure it gave me acid reflux disease, I was also overweight. I felt horrible. When the acid reflux acted up pretty bad, I quit the Fosamax, and was eating as little as possible as everything made be have sour burps. I tried Prilosec, it helped with the acid problem a lot, but made me feel lightly nauseated. I also got loose bowels from it, I was going all the time, so I lost weight. I went to my Dr. and she sent me for a colonoscopy and the GI Dr also did an EGD. He found a spot in my stomach he biopsied, he said it was probably an ulcer,it wasn't cancer. SEE! Stress! Then it seemed i also developed IBS, so I was losing weight more. I've lost a total of 45 lbs. I do feel better physicaly, I was proud of myself for the weight loss, wearing clothes I couldn't wear for years, then this dang cancer!
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I am on tamoxifen and my
    I am on tamoxifen and my oncologist says DIETARY SOY is fine. Its the soy supplements that are bad.
  • lanie940
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

I am on tamoxifen and my
    I am on tamoxifen and my oncologist says DIETARY SOY is fine. Its the soy supplements that are bad.

You mean like "SOYJOY"?
    You mean like "SOYJOY"? there are minute amounts of soy in almost everything, like breads,etc. I had Chinese food last night, and I didn't add any extra soy sauce on it. I am just concerned about all the soy thats used in processed foods like hamburger meat, some companies use it as an extender, but I guarentee if they do, they won't tell you they do.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

You mean like "SOYJOY"?
    You mean like "SOYJOY"? there are minute amounts of soy in almost everything, like breads,etc. I had Chinese food last night, and I didn't add any extra soy sauce on it. I am just concerned about all the soy thats used in processed foods like hamburger meat, some companies use it as an extender, but I guarentee if they do, they won't tell you they do.

You are suppose to avoid any
    You are suppose to avoid any kind of soy. But, my oncologist said it is impossible to totally have it eliminated from your diet. It is in a lot of foods that we don't even know about. So, just do the best that you can.

Sue :)