Is any one newly diagnosed and just freaked out?

Options
kathyrcady
kathyrcady Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just diagnosed last week and waiting to do an MRI and next to do surgery, Is any one new to all this like me? Sometimes I just do not believe its true. im really just on a major roller coster.

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    kathy,
    I'm not new to this,but just wanted to say hi and tell you that I've been there...
    Yeah,finding out that you've got cancer is definately a hard blow to say the least!!There are others newly diagnosed on here as well(unfortunately). You can make it through to the other side!
    Keep us posted on your MRI and surgeries. We are here for you!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kathy
    Kathy, just about every one of us here has been right where you are now. And of course you're freaked out -- I'd really be worried if any person could absorb the words "you have cancer" without freaking out!

Please just try to breathe, take it slowly, meet with a surgeon and an oncologist early in the process, and don't try to make decisions too fast -- you need to give yourself time to get your head and your emotions around all the new information coming at you. And to ride that roller coaster!

I was diagnosed almost 4 months ago, have had bilateral lumpectomies, and am currently one chemo away from being done with chemo. I'm doing okay, I'm getting through it, and you will too.

Please keep coming here and asking questions -- truly, these women are some of the best partners for the journey you're beginning.

Traci
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    Kathy.
    I was dx six weeks

Kathy.

I was dx six weeks ago. It's a shock! It's been so encouraging to read others' stories on this site. You're not alone. Fear, feelings of being overwhelmed, shock ... all of that is normal. I'm finding the worst part is the waiting and not knowing. One thing leads to another, leads to another. I'm really struggling with being afraid right now. Read the posts of some of the other women who've been around for a while. You will comfort in their wisdom, in their experiences and in their words.

It really is a roller coaster and one I didn't ask to get on!

You're not alone ...
    d.h.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Kathy
    Welcome to the board! I was diagnosed a little over a month ago. As the others have said-we have all been where you are. You are not riding that coaster alone! No one wants to believe it's true. However, once you get the diagnosis, there is no turning back. You have to move forward..towards recovery. You will be experiencing a whole lot of emotions throughout the process, but you have come to the right place! You will have support, hope, advice, shoulders, & ears here. You will discover that you can ask ANYTHING! There is always someone to help 24/7.(you'll find some of us don't sleep too well) Find out as much as you can about your diagnosis before you make any decisions. Reading others stories here are a tremendous help also. You can call ACS(1-800-227-2345)tell them your situation and they will send you alot of helpful information. Keep us posted!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    Kathy - you've come to
    the right place. Each of us has had our "Freaky Friday (as well as the other 6 days of the week) But the great thing about this place is the number of sisters you have gained each in various stages of this disease from newbies (like us) to long-term survivors. The wealth of information is a treasure above anything Indiana Jones could possibly find. Since my confirmed diagnosis on August 31st and I found this site, I have been visiting daily (sometimes several times a day) to read about the ups (dancing with NED) and downs (chemo SE) and then post questions. By the way, no question is stupid so ask away because someone will be able to help. I'm sorry for the reason you found this group of Amazon women but welcome you. Browse posts, ask questions. There is support to be had 24/7. For the first week after my mastectomy I was web-surfing the site at all times of the night. Just couldn't sleep. Take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Sending you internet hugs. Lola
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome, Kathy. We have all
    Welcome, Kathy. We have all been where you are at right now. We are here for you 24/7, so stop by anytime. We know how scary it is.

Hugs & prayers headed your way....
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Hi Kathy
    I was diagnosed a month ago and it is just now setting in that "YIKES, I HAVE CANCER", I think it took looking in the mirror at my bald head for it to really sink in. My daughter shaved my head for me, she said "Mom, you have the most adorable bald head I have ever seen" what an angel :) I'm stage IIIc breast cancer and have had two treatments thus far, with fourteen to go.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi Kathy
    I was diagnosed a month ago and it is just now setting in that "YIKES, I HAVE CANCER", I think it took looking in the mirror at my bald head for it to really sink in. My daughter shaved my head for me, she said "Mom, you have the most adorable bald head I have ever seen" what an angel :) I'm stage IIIc breast cancer and have had two treatments thus far, with fourteen to go.

Yes
    I think these ladies have said it all.....we are all freaked out. I was diagnosed a month ago and it is so surreal. Once you get thru all the testing and let it sink in, you will be fine. Just remember to stay positive and be strong....good luck and god bless.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sam726 said:

Yes
    I think these ladies have said it all.....we are all freaked out. I was diagnosed a month ago and it is so surreal. Once you get thru all the testing and let it sink in, you will be fine. Just remember to stay positive and be strong....good luck and god bless.

Hi Kathy,
    As others have said ... your feelings are perfectly normal. And ... the hardest part of it all is the WAITING. I promise you that once your surgery and treatments start going you will not be quite as anxious... because you will be taking an active part in things. It's the waiting ... and feeling like you have no control that is the worst. Once you get the pathology reports and meet with the oncologist and determine the treatment plan ... you will begin to feel like things are actually moving along in positive direction.

Please keep us posted ... and feel free to ask questions ... and remember there are no stupid questions. We're all in this together.

hugs.
    teena
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Your reaction is exactly on
    Your reaction is exactly on target~ as mentioned, who would take the news matter of factly? It isn't quite on the same par with getting to a sold-out movie one ticket too late, stubbing your toe in the dark, or even having your car stolen!

I had the exact same reaction as you did, and I know my sisters in here will forgive me once more for commenting on the roller-coaster ride you wrote about. Not only is it a roller-coaster ride, your seat has no seatbelt, there is oil in the tracks and it's starting to rain. Of course you are scared! So, you know what you do? You hang on FOR DEAR LIFE! Thankfully, you are not alone on this ride, and while you may think you are not going to come out of this one alive, you actually do! You and those with you on the ride scream, plead, cry, but mainly get determined to make it off the ride intact. The ride finally comes to a stop, you and your fellow riders get off, battered and bruised, but ALIVE!

For the record, I got on that rollercoaster a little over 7 years ago....so yes, we do get off the ride! And our champion sister, Zahalene is a 23 YEAR surivior, and RE is one of our mega-long time surivors as well! You have joined a large family of Sisters you never wanted to be related to, but for what it's worth, you will not find a better family anywhere.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    Options
    freaked out?
    freaked out is putting it mildly - yes I am newly diagnosed also and going in
    for surgery on Monday - anyone who isn't freaked out must be numb or on some good meds!!! Yes its normal to be freaked out, just look at my previous posts. I finally called the Doc at the urging of the ladies on this site and got a mild prescription for anxiety - it has really helped and now I'm actually sleeping the whole night through. Stay on this site and ask questions, ask for help, vent, whine do whatever you need to and you will receive help and support from the ladies on this site - we all know what you're going through but the good news is you will be fine!!! This disease is highly curable and if you have to have cancer, better this than something else. Hang in there - it will be tough but you'll get through it.
    You'll be in my prayers.
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    Options
    freaked out?
    freaked out is putting it mildly - yes I am newly diagnosed also and going in
    for surgery on Monday - anyone who isn't freaked out must be numb or on some good meds!!! Yes its normal to be freaked out, just look at my previous posts. I finally called the Doc at the urging of the ladies on this site and got a mild prescription for anxiety - it has really helped and now I'm actually sleeping the whole night through. Stay on this site and ask questions, ask for help, vent, whine do whatever you need to and you will receive help and support from the ladies on this site - we all know what you're going through but the good news is you will be fine!!! This disease is highly curable and if you have to have cancer, better this than something else. Hang in there - it will be tough but you'll get through it.
    You'll be in my prayers.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    KATHY
    I was dx in april and was also devestated! It's such a shock to hear the word CANCER. Just wanted to say your at a good place for advice and understanding!! Hugs, Diane
  • JB
    JB Member Posts: 1
    Options
    freaked out for me is mild...
    hi. i was dx at he beginning of august. everything has happened soooo fast. scans, bilateral mastectomies, more scans...port placement next week. am i the only one that cries all the time?
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    JB said:

freaked out for me is mild...
    hi. i was dx at he beginning of august. everything has happened soooo fast. scans, bilateral mastectomies, more scans...port placement next week. am i the only one that cries all the time?

i'm sorry jb
    I don't cry all the time, I find myself angry and anxious.

I hear the tears, the anger diminish with time.

I'm hanging in there with you,
    d.h.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kathy
    All the other sisters have said it all. Yes, it's scary, but you've come to th right place. Many, many caring, loving, supportive and knowledgeable women here for you and each other 24/7. Make use of their experiences and I promise it will help you get through yours. Take care.