Diabetes drug could be effective in cancer therapy -- including triple negative

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ladies,

According to the journal "Cancer Research" the diabetes drug metformin, used in conjunction with the chemo drug doxorubicin (Adriamycin) eliminated cancer stem cells in laboratory tests at the Harvard Medical School. It is believed that cancer stem cells initiate tumors and are resistant to standard chemo. The researchers studied 4 different breast cancer types, including triple negative and found that the Adriamycin/Metformin combo eliminated existing tumors and prevented regrowth. Neither drug was effective alone against stem cell cancer cells.

Clinical trials are now being planned to use this combo on women with early stage breast cancer.

Another possible drug in the arsenal!!

Mimi

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Wow Mimi!!!If I am reading
    Wow Mimi!!!If I am reading what you wrote correctly~ this combo didn't just reduce the number of cancer cells, but actually eliminated them??? This is news beyond wonderfully amazing! Such potential good news for the newbies with early stage~ fabulous!

It always occurs to me that with funds raised by the Relay For Life, Susan G Koman, LAF, Avon and Revlon, etc etc etc~ the research monies collected really do amount to something!!!!

Thanks for sharing this, Mimi!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Thanks for sharing this info, Mimi...
    Information like this always inspires hope.

Kind regards, Susan

P.S. to Kindred Spirit - Yes, for sure. Fund raising efforts really do make a difference.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Wonderful news!!
    I am still very optimistic that in my lifetime I will see a cure for breast cancer!! Let the research continue!!
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    This is very interesting, I
    This is very interesting, I take metformin twice a day for my diabetes, when i see my oncono next time i will be sure to mention it to him, even though i am way past doing chemo, it might be of help to comeone else
    tj
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Wow Mimi... thanks .. this
    Wow Mimi... thanks .. this is a very positive step in the research area... wow...eliminates it that is soooo encouraging... thanks for sharing this!!

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • mimivac
    Yes, it did eliminate the tumor
    Very encouraging results so far. Now, let's hope they can replicate the effects in human studies.

Mimi
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    mimivac said:

Yes, it did eliminate the tumor
    Very encouraging results so far. Now, let's hope they can replicate the effects in human studies.

Mimi

Mimi, thanks for sharing
    Mimi, thanks for sharing this information. We are all so hopeful that this research will soon come up with a complete cure...wouldn't that be wonderful. I think it is close, and just also hope that the medical community will be quick to institute such treatments. I always worry about the amount of money being made off of cancer, and the possibility that those practitioners are out there that would hate to see their "gravy train" diminish. Not a thought I have often, but you can see where I am going. We will all keep up with this research, and keep our fingers crossed that it will carry over to the human studies. Thanks again for your diligent research. Hugs.

Judy
  • mimivac

Mimi, thanks for sharing
    Mimi, thanks for sharing this information. We are all so hopeful that this research will soon come up with a complete cure...wouldn't that be wonderful. I think it is close, and just also hope that the medical community will be quick to institute such treatments. I always worry about the amount of money being made off of cancer, and the possibility that those practitioners are out there that would hate to see their "gravy train" diminish. Not a thought I have often, but you can see where I am going. We will all keep up with this research, and keep our fingers crossed that it will carry over to the human studies. Thanks again for your diligent research. Hugs.

Judy

Judy, I have those thoughts too
    But then I think of how lucrative a cure would be. People would still get cancer and would still get chemo, although it would be a whole lot more effective so those that bypass chemo now would probably go for it. In any case, I am hopeful too.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    mimivac said:

Judy, I have those thoughts too
    But then I think of how lucrative a cure would be. People would still get cancer and would still get chemo, although it would be a whole lot more effective so those that bypass chemo now would probably go for it. In any case, I am hopeful too.

It is good news.
    Hi Mimi. I too had just read this. It is great news..or at least encouraging. Unfortunately Metformin gives me diarrhea!!!

Hope you are doing well. Did your final scan come back and I missed it?