Options
2»

Comments

• mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Options
    VickiSam said:

1Surfer mom and Sherik ..
    Good luck with upcoming surgeries. I am taking notes on fashion wear - do's - pending mac'tmy first of the year.

Sports bra's - how would one not ripe out drains? Cautious .. Would we purchase bra's a few sizes larger ? Button up tops or zip tops make sense, or very large over sized t-shirts or tanks.

Just thinking out loud - here.

VickiSam

Sports Bras
    The cami worked best for the first few days after surgery, but I wore sports bras most of the time. They were not the really good ones that are for actual "sports" but the cheap ones they sell in places like Target and Penneys. They are lightweight cotton and probably wouldn't be something a real athlete would ever wear. They aren't paticularly tight. If you go up one size, the elastic isn't tight on your drains at all. In fact, if sort of kept the tubes in place and I just safety pinned the drains to the bottom of the bra. There are also similar bras that zip up the front. After the drains were removed, that was all I wore for a couple weeks until the swelling went down.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hey Surf & Sherik
    Hey Surf & Sherik, pack comfortable shorts if it's still warm and a button down shirt. You will be bandaged up and have drains so you won't be able to wear much of anything on top. You will not be able to lift your arms to wear anything over the head if they remove lymph nodes and you don't want anything rubbing the incision either in the arm pit area. You won't be able to wear a bra until about 6 weeks after surgery. Your surgeon will let you know. I had my mastectomy in June 2 years ago and wore terry cloth pull-up shorts and a button down shirt. I was fortunate though to be able to stay in the hospital for 48 hours. Good luck and keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    I'm 11 days post
    bilateral mastectomy. I was fortunate in that only 2 nodes were removed both free from cancer. I had ordered the camisoles from the TLC catalog before surgery and wonders or wonders they arrived on time. They are great for keeping things in place and do have the pockets. The downside is that the velcro closing in the front is really stiff and hard around the upper chest area where I was already sore. Since I didn't have reconstruction, I was able to wear the soft front close bras fairly early, even with the drains and drain lines. I found that if I used a soft short tennis shoe sock with a u cut out on one side, you could slip the drain bulb in and safety pin it to the bottom of the bra with the u facing the front. The advantage of this was the cushion of the sock between the little blue hard rubber top of the drain and my stomach. When I've gone out in the last couple days I've used the "inserts" with the foam and a bit of batting in them. That's about all my chest wall will take right now and not for long. Since I still have 1 drain left I have to fight with the showering part. I definitely liked the idea of the sock around the neck and hook to the drain. I've tried taping them to my skin and more than once they've come lose. Lola
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    masterctomy camisole. They
    masterctomy camisole. They have a little pocket for your drain . the hospital gave me a masterctomy camisole. i still use it if i have a low cut top on.i had a grown with zipper i just stepped into it,you cant raise your arm my drains stay in 2 weeks.i was in 23 hoursand out the door. u will need help with the drain,i was no i a great deal of pain,when u can you will start walking yout hand up the wall that is tuff slow as u go and u will get there, good luck hugs to u
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ladybug22 said:

masterctomy camisole. They
    masterctomy camisole. They have a little pocket for your drain . the hospital gave me a masterctomy camisole. i still use it if i have a low cut top on.i had a grown with zipper i just stepped into it,you cant raise your arm my drains stay in 2 weeks.i was in 23 hoursand out the door. u will need help with the drain,i was no i a great deal of pain,when u can you will start walking yout hand up the wall that is tuff slow as u go and u will get there, good luck hugs to u

Fashion tips
    Thanks for the tips. I am going to go shopping today after my pre-op stuff at the hospital. I am going to Nordstrom for the camisole, since it is to late to order from TLC. I think my best bet for large button down shirts would be JC Penneys. I will also go to Target for some new Jammies, and I want to pick up some boots. Did you see the grey suede boots that are on sale at Target? They are fabulous!!!! After being so sick with chemo I watched a lot of "What Not to Wear" and decided to glam it up this year and take a break from my usual mommy clothes. I want to look smashing with my ultra short hair ( when it finally fills in) and my stylish clothes. Just because I have cancer, it doesn't mean I should be a frump.( which is what I was prior to BC) Once again thanks for all of the tips. Love surf
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

Fashion tips
    Thanks for the tips. I am going to go shopping today after my pre-op stuff at the hospital. I am going to Nordstrom for the camisole, since it is to late to order from TLC. I think my best bet for large button down shirts would be JC Penneys. I will also go to Target for some new Jammies, and I want to pick up some boots. Did you see the grey suede boots that are on sale at Target? They are fabulous!!!! After being so sick with chemo I watched a lot of "What Not to Wear" and decided to glam it up this year and take a break from my usual mommy clothes. I want to look smashing with my ultra short hair ( when it finally fills in) and my stylish clothes. Just because I have cancer, it doesn't mean I should be a frump.( which is what I was prior to BC) Once again thanks for all of the tips. Love surf

Best wishes, Surf...
    For your upcoming surgery. I'll be sincerely hoping for the best possible outcome, without complications, and a speedy recovery for you.

All good tips here already. I can only agree with all of them. I will stress, though, the possible need for at least one front-closure bra - a size or two bigger than normal. I bought two - one to wear, while one was in the hamper. When I no longer needed them - donated to Salvation Army.

Kudos for your fashion forward new attitude, too! Yes, I'm a fan of both "Project Runway" (love Heidi & Tim) AND "What Not To Wear" (love Stacy & Clinton). You GO for it, girl! And, hey - many here know that I'm a huge proponent of Retail Therapy. :-)

Kind regards, Susan
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options

Best wishes, Surf...
    For your upcoming surgery. I'll be sincerely hoping for the best possible outcome, without complications, and a speedy recovery for you.

All good tips here already. I can only agree with all of them. I will stress, though, the possible need for at least one front-closure bra - a size or two bigger than normal. I bought two - one to wear, while one was in the hamper. When I no longer needed them - donated to Salvation Army.

Kudos for your fashion forward new attitude, too! Yes, I'm a fan of both "Project Runway" (love Heidi & Tim) AND "What Not To Wear" (love Stacy & Clinton). You GO for it, girl! And, hey - many here know that I'm a huge proponent of Retail Therapy. :-)

Kind regards, Susan

I wore Pajamas & a Muu Muu home
    On July 21, 2009 I had lumpectomy with lymp nodes removed, and a drain put in. I knew I was coming home the same day. I wore regular clothes to the hospital, but I packed my silky, comfy Vanity Fair pajamas and a loose-fitting muu muu. When the nurse came to help me get dressed, I told her that's what I wanted to wear. Straight-laced and proper...I don't think she approved. Who cares? My surgery was scheduled for 3pm, and it was delayed more than half an hour. By the time I was out of recovery and able to get dressed and discharged, it was past 7:30, and we still had a 65-mile drive to get home. I wanted my pj's, my pillow and my blanket! I arrived home ready to just fall into bed...no fumbling around with taking off street clothes and getting into sleepwear. I was already there!
    And yes...front closure bras rock! I especially like the soft sports bras with the hooks in front. Other favorites: "granny pants" with elastic waist & soft over-sized Teeshirts.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator