CHEMO TOMORROW,need advice please,help.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,well I am home on a dreary day thinking of Chemo tomorrow.It is like do I go shopping or stay home and think about it all day.or maybe i need to think about it today.i find myself crying off and on.so what do you think get out of house and stay buisy or let myself take the day and cry and think about it?I know i probly sound wimpy but doing Chemo is very emotional for me.I know most of you have been through this already.My daughter is going with me tomorrow I don,t want to cry on her.All these emotions rolling around in my head.THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.(Pat)

Comments

  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I stayed busy. You could get
    I stayed busy. You could get things ready. Buy a good movie to watch when you get home after treatment. Maybe a frozen dinner. You may not feel like cooking. Or maybe clean the house so everything looks good. If you sit and worry and find the chemo wasn't that bad then you've wasted all that time worrying.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Marcia527 said:

    I stayed busy. You could get
    I stayed busy. You could get things ready. Buy a good movie to watch when you get home after treatment. Maybe a frozen dinner. You may not feel like cooking. Or maybe clean the house so everything looks good. If you sit and worry and find the chemo wasn't that bad then you've wasted all that time worrying.

    Don't waste time!
    Don't waste a day worrying! It more than likely will be nowhere near as bad as you are anticipating. If you get any reactions...most people seem to get them later on in the fusion cycle. In any case, worrying will not make anything better and you will just wind yourself up. Maybe treat yourself to a new book or a hairdo. Good luck!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    My vote would be to get out
    My vote would be to get out of the house and have fun. You're going to find tomorrow that the chemo was not bad and then you will have wasted an entire day. I think the fear of the unknown has it's grips on you right now. I've had 2 treatments with my 3rd one coming this Thursday and I can honestly say that they are very doable. I also went with my daughter (23 years old) and she handled it very well. We were both scared because we didn't know what to expect. But, like I said, it's not that bad. You'll get through it. Now, go out and have some fun and get your mind off of it.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Anticipation
    Pat,

    The fear and anticipation of chemo will most likely be worse than the chemo itself. This is true for many people, including myself. The first one is scary because you have no idea what to excpect. Will there be pain? Will I get sick in the chemo room? Will something go wrong? Everyone's case is different, but I can tell you that you will probably be just fine. I felt nothing the first time and this is true for most. You just need to get used to the chemo routine. Go what feels right today, but sitting alone in the house thinking can make it a lot worse. I would get out and get some nice things for yourself. Like others suggested, get books and magazines, rent a few good movies, stock up on snacks, and maybe get family members to help you clean and make a kind of "sanctuary" in your bedroom, with lots of pillows, the TV positioned just right, etc. You can keep talking to us, too. You will be OK, Pat.

    Mimi
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

    My vote would be to get out
    My vote would be to get out of the house and have fun. You're going to find tomorrow that the chemo was not bad and then you will have wasted an entire day. I think the fear of the unknown has it's grips on you right now. I've had 2 treatments with my 3rd one coming this Thursday and I can honestly say that they are very doable. I also went with my daughter (23 years old) and she handled it very well. We were both scared because we didn't know what to expect. But, like I said, it's not that bad. You'll get through it. Now, go out and have some fun and get your mind off of it.

    We understand
    It's perfectly normal to feel anxious about your first chemo. Has the doctor given you anything ... like xanax to take before your appointment? I always took one an hour before my appointment ... at the same time I blobbed the EMLA cream on my port site. I also took a "relaxation" CD and listened to that through the earphones. I took a book each time ... but I found that by the time the first IV was finished (which contained benadryl) ... I was almost asleep ... so I napped through most of my treatments. Some people want to be distracted or entertained during their treatments ... but I found the best thing for me was to breath ... and stay calm ... and focus on staying calm. It wasn't easy ... especially the first treatment ... but as the weeks passed it got much easier since I knew what to expect.

    I know none of that helps you today ... but just try not to worry too much. Just keep telling yourself that you'll get through it ... and that in 24-48 hours it will be over and you won't have to be afraid of the unknown. You'll know what to expect and how to prepare and handle the rest of your appointments.

    I'll be thinking of you ...

    hugs.
    teena
  • ElizabethK
    ElizabethK Member Posts: 10
    get out there and live life
    Dear Pat,

    It's a dreary day where I am too, but I had to get out and will again. Don't let yourself dwell on chemo. And it is okay to cry. Grieving is natural. What got me through treatment was having a support network, friends, church, neighbors, and even my nurses. Every day was one day at a time for me, one foot in front of the other. How many chemo's have you had?
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Get to getting...
    Have to agree with the others. Stay busy and get to getting. Dwelling on the inevitable will make things worse for you. Do what you can to prepare so that when you come home, you will be able to rest. Stay positive, you will get through this.

    Best of luck to you.

    Bella Luna
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    staying buisy.
    Thanks everyone,I got my house all cleaned and baked a cake.So the house smells good even though it is gloomy outside.I am going to get dressed ,yes I hadn,t got dressed yet.polish my finger nails and get out for awhile.I also will get something to have on hand tomorrow to eat that i don,t have to cook.Thanks for all the great advice.You have helped me so many times with your replys.God bless you all.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    ppurdin said:

    staying buisy.
    Thanks everyone,I got my house all cleaned and baked a cake.So the house smells good even though it is gloomy outside.I am going to get dressed ,yes I hadn,t got dressed yet.polish my finger nails and get out for awhile.I also will get something to have on hand tomorrow to eat that i don,t have to cook.Thanks for all the great advice.You have helped me so many times with your replys.God bless you all.

    Good for You
    It's best to keep busy. It is normal to be worried about tomorrow. I agree with the other, it's not so bad having treatments. I still have 6 more to go before I'm finished. Get yourself ready for when you come home. REST, DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND TAKE ANY MEDS THEY RECOMMEND FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS. You'll be just fine. Hugs, Diane
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    chickad52 said:

    Good for You
    It's best to keep busy. It is normal to be worried about tomorrow. I agree with the other, it's not so bad having treatments. I still have 6 more to go before I'm finished. Get yourself ready for when you come home. REST, DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND TAKE ANY MEDS THEY RECOMMEND FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS. You'll be just fine. Hugs, Diane

    Go out girl!!
    I understand your worries but look at it like a start to getting healthy again! Thats how I looked at it and it helped me get through it. I went out the night before with my good friends, had a big fat fantastic meal with them and enjoyed myself. I know sounds easier said than done but you can do it. You must stay positive girl...it is important to getting better. I hope this advice helps and good luck.
  • Q088suzie
    Q088suzie Member Posts: 27
    Sam726 said:

    Go out girl!!
    I understand your worries but look at it like a start to getting healthy again! Thats how I looked at it and it helped me get through it. I went out the night before with my good friends, had a big fat fantastic meal with them and enjoyed myself. I know sounds easier said than done but you can do it. You must stay positive girl...it is important to getting better. I hope this advice helps and good luck.

    You will be fine!!
    I went thru the same thing before my first chemo treatment last week,,,but please beleive me when I say the anticipation was the worst part. I have been feeling great,,just remember to take your anti-nausea meds round the clock and you will be fine!! I had to go back today for my weekly herceptin treatment, and I felt no dread beforehand because I knew it wasn't so bad after all!! I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Pat
    Sorry to get back to you so late. You probably wont see this until after chemo but I am sure you will agree that it isnt as bad as you imagine it to be. I will say though that over the course of your treatments the fatigue is probably the worst thing. If you can stay active it will really make a difference in how you feel. I am doing yoga daily, walking about 2 miles per day and doing my arm exercises. I have a young golden retriever puppy and he makes me walk. If I have time I try to get on the exercise bike but I am trying to work 8 to 9 hours per day and its hard to get it all in. I will say that my energy level is better the week after chemo. I am on an every 2 week cycle. I am not always this perky.

    Post often cuz we are all here to get you thru it.

    Hugs to you
    Linda T
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    mlmjt1 said:

    Hi Pat
    Sorry to get back to you so late. You probably wont see this until after chemo but I am sure you will agree that it isnt as bad as you imagine it to be. I will say though that over the course of your treatments the fatigue is probably the worst thing. If you can stay active it will really make a difference in how you feel. I am doing yoga daily, walking about 2 miles per day and doing my arm exercises. I have a young golden retriever puppy and he makes me walk. If I have time I try to get on the exercise bike but I am trying to work 8 to 9 hours per day and its hard to get it all in. I will say that my energy level is better the week after chemo. I am on an every 2 week cycle. I am not always this perky.

    Post often cuz we are all here to get you thru it.

    Hugs to you
    Linda T

    Hello Pat
    I hope you spent yesterday doing whatever it pleased you to do. I'm not taking chemo (at least not for the time being) so I have no useful advice to offer about getting prepared or what to do afterward. I just wanted to chime in with my own brand of encouragement. I'm thinking of you today, and praying for God's comfort for you. Gracie.
  • jolenew
    jolenew Member Posts: 38
    I DONT THINK YOU ARE BEING
    I DONT THINK YOU ARE BEING WIMPY ABOUT CHEMO, EVERYTIME I WENT I WAS SCARED AND ALWAYS THINKING IF THIS IS WORKING. EVERY TIME I WENT I JUST KEPT THINKING POSITIVE ABOUT ALL MY CARE AND WHAT THE END RESULT WOULD BE. JUST HANG IN THERE. ITS OK TO CRY.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    you wil be ok i didnt want
    you wil be ok i didnt want to look at my onc. thr first thing out his mounth was she want even look at me
    and i didnt want to hear what he had to say he i a nice person hang in there