Help! I overdid the arm exercises 3 wks post-op. It hurts! Also 1st Chemo in 2 days.

June28
June28 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is the first time I've posted anything on this site. Since my Partial Mastectomy 3 wks ago I've been making gradual progress with the exercises the Dr. recommended: walking my fingers across my head to my opposite ear. However, I decided to try a few repetitions of exercises listed in the ACS booklet yesterday. I didn't feel like I'd overdone it at first. Then came the horrible pain-on the same scale as when I first came home after surgery!! Yesterday PM I had bad neuropathy in my hand and fingers-numbness, tingling, and pain. Today this is better. However, I notice I cannot fully extend my arm, as I could before. My arm aches and is tender. Worst of all is the feeling of lumpiness and very tender to even touch the inside of my elbow-the bend in my arm!! What did I do to myself?? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Another Big concern is that I'm starting my 1st Chemo treatment in 2 days!! I am really sensitive to medicines with a list a mile long that I can't take! The Allergist told me that my liver doesn't process meds like most people, and many stay in my system much longer, or the "normal" dose is too strong for me! However, apparently there is nothing wrong with my liver--just works differently!! I know the Chemo drugs are strong and toxic!
This cancer is really a scary thing!! I guess I've lived a sheltered life, as I have not known anyone close to me with cancer. Now I have it!! I had no idea what was involved--and I'm just beginning this journey!! Is it one awful, painful thing after another? The swelling has gone down from surgery, but I am still swollen, and it feels heavy from drainage. He pulled the drain after 4 days when I was still getting 60cc every day from it.
I have stretch marks from the swelling. And it hurts so bad, its very hard to find any clothes that are comfortable.

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    lymph nods removal
    HI,SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU BEING IN SO MUCH PAIN.I have had two surgerys in the last two months.The last time they removed 16 lynph nods and more breast tissue where the Cancer was.I also had the drain,i hated that thing.and i know how bad it hurts under your arm.I still have some pain but it has got better.And i also start Chemo tomorrow.I dread it but also know it is nessasary.This web sight has helped me so much and it will you also.their is always someone going thru the same things.Someone adviced me on buying some over sized t shirts the soft ones to wear around the house.I know how it hurts when anything rubs under your arm.And maybe you should call your dr, if it is hurting real bad.And yes Cancer is a scary thing,but we can beat it so many have.Hang in their,let us know how your doing.If you don,t mind i will add you to my friends list so I can check on you.Take care.Love and prayers.(Pat).
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    ppurdin said:

lymph nods removal
    HI,SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU BEING IN SO MUCH PAIN.I have had two surgerys in the last two months.The last time they removed 16 lynph nods and more breast tissue where the Cancer was.I also had the drain,i hated that thing.and i know how bad it hurts under your arm.I still have some pain but it has got better.And i also start Chemo tomorrow.I dread it but also know it is nessasary.This web sight has helped me so much and it will you also.their is always someone going thru the same things.Someone adviced me on buying some over sized t shirts the soft ones to wear around the house.I know how it hurts when anything rubs under your arm.And maybe you should call your dr, if it is hurting real bad.And yes Cancer is a scary thing,but we can beat it so many have.Hang in their,let us know how your doing.If you don,t mind i will add you to my friends list so I can check on you.Take care.Love and prayers.(Pat).

I had surgery in June
    I had surgery in June (lumpectomy With 22 nodes removed ) my arm is still sore and numb in spots. The more I do the more it hurts at times. I was told this is normal.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome, June28!
    You've come to the right place full of very caring, loving and supportive women. I have not had any experience with what you're going through but I'm sure you will get a reply from someone on this board that has. I just wanted to welcome you. I couldn't help but notice your screen name, June28. Is that your birthday by chance? I ask because it's mine. Take care.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Physical Therapy?
    I don't know if your insurance covers it or not but I found physical therapy VERY helpful with all the post surgery difficulties. I had surgery in May 09 and have done 8 PT sessions and even with a professional watching over me I went through times when it all felt good and and then I would do stretches and suddenly I didn't have half the range of motion I used to have. My PT told me that will happen for a while and because there are a lot of things going on in your armpit and down your arm. I still do my stretches now and sometimes there are days that my arm is tight and I feel like I've lost the good I've done, but then it slowly comes back again. It just takes time. I found icing my the muscles helpful sometimes.

In addition to your muscles healing your lymph system is trying to adjust. Are you doing any lymph massage for the swelling? I had a lot of swelling for a couple months after treatment and the lymph massage was really helpful. I'm still doing it and the PT recommended it for a couple more months. Have you asked your doctor about the swelling?

Chemo is scary. There's no way around that, but you will probably find it's not unmanageable. They give you drugs before the treatment to keep you from having reactions. I don't know what chemo you're on but I have had two big reactions to Taxol and they were able to manage it enough to keep me safe and the drug going. Have you mentioned your allergies to your oncologist? They might want to watch you more closely during infusion.

Good luck with your chemo. I know it's not fun but it is keeping you alive! Somehow in all this you'll find your strength and beat back this beast! Somone on this site has experienced everything and they always seem to have an answer. Ask lots of questions and you'll get lots of answers that will help you through! You're in my prayers!
  • June28
    mickeymom said:

Physical Therapy?
    I don't know if your insurance covers it or not but I found physical therapy VERY helpful with all the post surgery difficulties. I had surgery in May 09 and have done 8 PT sessions and even with a professional watching over me I went through times when it all felt good and and then I would do stretches and suddenly I didn't have half the range of motion I used to have. My PT told me that will happen for a while and because there are a lot of things going on in your armpit and down your arm. I still do my stretches now and sometimes there are days that my arm is tight and I feel like I've lost the good I've done, but then it slowly comes back again. It just takes time. I found icing my the muscles helpful sometimes.

In addition to your muscles healing your lymph system is trying to adjust. Are you doing any lymph massage for the swelling? I had a lot of swelling for a couple months after treatment and the lymph massage was really helpful. I'm still doing it and the PT recommended it for a couple more months. Have you asked your doctor about the swelling?

Chemo is scary. There's no way around that, but you will probably find it's not unmanageable. They give you drugs before the treatment to keep you from having reactions. I don't know what chemo you're on but I have had two big reactions to Taxol and they were able to manage it enough to keep me safe and the drug going. Have you mentioned your allergies to your oncologist? They might want to watch you more closely during infusion.

Good luck with your chemo. I know it's not fun but it is keeping you alive! Somehow in all this you'll find your strength and beat back this beast! Somone on this site has experienced everything and they always seem to have an answer. Ask lots of questions and you'll get lots of answers that will help you through! You're in my prayers!

Arm after Surgery,Urinary Problem& Object to Drive-Thru Surgery
    Hi! Thanks for your kind response! I believe my insurance covers PT, however, the deductible for each visit is $30. Its so discouraging to learn that problems with my arm swelling and hurting will probably be on-going. I really have respect for those of you who have experienced this! Its going to take me a while to get used to living this way. By lymph massage do you mean elevating the arm, squeezing your hand a # of times, then bending the arm at the elbow? I've done some, but it seems to agravate the discomfort, & now I'm feeling like I need to back off a bit.
    Its good to hear that the nursing staff was right on top of your Chemo reaction. They are planning Cytoxan and Taxotere for my "cocktail". I have talked to the Oncologist about my problem with meds. However, my medical idiocyncracies seem to be a surprise to many Drs. I guess they have to see it to believe it!
    I called the surgeon today and have an appt to see him tomorrow. I felt like a naughty child who had done something wrong, calling and admitting what I'd done-doing a few repetitions of exercises he had not recommended!
    He is a nice man, but can be abrupt and not very sympathetic at times. He kind of looked at me like I was from Mars when before surgery I told him I needed a foley catheter during surgery and for a while afterward. He said, "We never do that for this kind of surgery, but if that is what you want---".
    I know my own body! I was trying to problem-solve to prevent complications. Along with other members of my family, I have a small bladder. When my bladder is full, I have urinary retention and can't go!! Add to this a small urethra which they did surgery on 20 yrs ago (& the surgery has come un-done)--I need help when my bladder is full!! Especially when you are under anesthesia and they are pumping you full of IV fluids!
    Well, I got my Pediatric catheter, as requested, but they took it out in recovery before I was fully awake, and my pain was out of control! Now, of course I can't pee!! My surgery started later than anticipated, took longer than they projected, and I remember in recovery them sitting next to me telling me to breathe!! The morphine for pain was decreasing my respirations! I was in recovery 3 hrs, by which time all the other patients had gone home. I was miserable-uncontrolled pain and now I couldn't go to the bathroom! Luckily, an on-call Dr. looked at me and decided, yes, I needed to stay overnight! The next day, I was writhing in pain from my full bladder--forget about the surgical pain!! They didn't have an order to put in another catheter! By the time they finally cathed me the first time, there was over 700cc. Later that evening, again this happened and they got over 800cc. I was told I had to go home! Insurance wouldn't pay for another night, as my urinary problem and problem with finding meds that worked for me was: A Pre-existing Condition!!!!!!!!!
    I felt like I was reduced to a mere surgical incision! That's all that mattered. Never mind that I'm a person with feelings, needs, and in uncontrolled pain! Luckily, I was able to go to the bathroom soon after the last catheter was removed, and finally walked around the hall. I left the hospital around 10:45PM pretty upset. I had to be gone by midnight, or I personally would be charged for a day. Only 2 hrs before I left, I received a shot of morphine!
    I really hadn't intended to go into all this!! I guess the point is, we have to look out for ourselves!! I only wish I had insisted he write an order to catheterize me as necessary. However, I hadn't counted on them taking it out before I was fully aware and ready for it.
    Also, if anyone is interested, there is a bill before Congress right now that would force insurance companies to keep Mastectomy patients overnight, rather than the "drive-through surgeries" that is the status quo. I think most people who read and post on this site would agree that this is the humane thing to do! Losing a breast, or part of one is traumatic--physically and psychologically! There isn't time to adjust to the thought of our "new" bodies and how to properly care for yourself, and learn what to expect when we get home in the few hrs we are awake after surgery!
    I truly appreciate your prayers!
  • June28
    Kat11 said:

I had surgery in June
    I had surgery in June (lumpectomy With 22 nodes removed ) my arm is still sore and numb in spots. The more I do the more it hurts at times. I was told this is normal.

Nodes Removed and Arm Sore
    I'm sorry that you had to go thru this! And its really crummy that these symptoms are normal! I guess I've joined an "exclusive club" that I formerly didn't know existed! However, I know I'm in good company!!
  • June28
    ppurdin said:

lymph nods removal

Chemo, Here we Come-Ready or Not!
    I'm sorry you had to go through two surgeries! I guess I'm blessed that they only did one. I had 2 masses right next to each other- one was just over 1cm, and the other just under 1cm. What makes me nervous is they were so close to the chest muscle: 1mm away! However that 1mm was "clean". As far as I'm concerned, 1mm is not a large enough margin!! I'm really counting on Chemo, then Radiation, then Hormone treatment to zap any rogue cells that may have migrated into the chest muscle! My other breast has a very small suspicious spot that is inconclusive under Ultrasound and is too small to biopsy. My surgeon says we'll just keep an eye on it. It is SO important to me that these treatments work the first time around, and I'm sure we all feel that way about the treatment we each have been assigned!!
    Thanks for your prayers. I will pray for you also-especially as you are starting Chemo tomorrow. I am one day behind you in this Chemo experience. I would love to be on your friends list. We can be partners in this vast unknown wilderness as we forge ahead to face our roads of survivorship! God Bless You, Pat!
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    June28 said:

Arm after Surgery,Urinary Problem& Object to Drive-Thru Surgery
    Hi! Thanks for your kind response! I believe my insurance covers PT, however, the deductible for each visit is $30. Its so discouraging to learn that problems with my arm swelling and hurting will probably be on-going. I really have respect for those of you who have experienced this! Its going to take me a while to get used to living this way. By lymph massage do you mean elevating the arm, squeezing your hand a # of times, then bending the arm at the elbow? I've done some, but it seems to agravate the discomfort, & now I'm feeling like I need to back off a bit.
    Its good to hear that the nursing staff was right on top of your Chemo reaction. They are planning Cytoxan and Taxotere for my "cocktail". I have talked to the Oncologist about my problem with meds. However, my medical idiocyncracies seem to be a surprise to many Drs. I guess they have to see it to believe it!
    I called the surgeon today and have an appt to see him tomorrow. I felt like a naughty child who had done something wrong, calling and admitting what I'd done-doing a few repetitions of exercises he had not recommended!
    He is a nice man, but can be abrupt and not very sympathetic at times. He kind of looked at me like I was from Mars when before surgery I told him I needed a foley catheter during surgery and for a while afterward. He said, "We never do that for this kind of surgery, but if that is what you want---".
    I know my own body! I was trying to problem-solve to prevent complications. Along with other members of my family, I have a small bladder. When my bladder is full, I have urinary retention and can't go!! Add to this a small urethra which they did surgery on 20 yrs ago (& the surgery has come un-done)--I need help when my bladder is full!! Especially when you are under anesthesia and they are pumping you full of IV fluids!
    Well, I got my Pediatric catheter, as requested, but they took it out in recovery before I was fully awake, and my pain was out of control! Now, of course I can't pee!! My surgery started later than anticipated, took longer than they projected, and I remember in recovery them sitting next to me telling me to breathe!! The morphine for pain was decreasing my respirations! I was in recovery 3 hrs, by which time all the other patients had gone home. I was miserable-uncontrolled pain and now I couldn't go to the bathroom! Luckily, an on-call Dr. looked at me and decided, yes, I needed to stay overnight! The next day, I was writhing in pain from my full bladder--forget about the surgical pain!! They didn't have an order to put in another catheter! By the time they finally cathed me the first time, there was over 700cc. Later that evening, again this happened and they got over 800cc. I was told I had to go home! Insurance wouldn't pay for another night, as my urinary problem and problem with finding meds that worked for me was: A Pre-existing Condition!!!!!!!!!
    I felt like I was reduced to a mere surgical incision! That's all that mattered. Never mind that I'm a person with feelings, needs, and in uncontrolled pain! Luckily, I was able to go to the bathroom soon after the last catheter was removed, and finally walked around the hall. I left the hospital around 10:45PM pretty upset. I had to be gone by midnight, or I personally would be charged for a day. Only 2 hrs before I left, I received a shot of morphine!
    I really hadn't intended to go into all this!! I guess the point is, we have to look out for ourselves!! I only wish I had insisted he write an order to catheterize me as necessary. However, I hadn't counted on them taking it out before I was fully aware and ready for it.
    Also, if anyone is interested, there is a bill before Congress right now that would force insurance companies to keep Mastectomy patients overnight, rather than the "drive-through surgeries" that is the status quo. I think most people who read and post on this site would agree that this is the humane thing to do! Losing a breast, or part of one is traumatic--physically and psychologically! There isn't time to adjust to the thought of our "new" bodies and how to properly care for yourself, and learn what to expect when we get home in the few hrs we are awake after surgery!
    I truly appreciate your prayers!

What a nightmare!
    I am so sorry you had to go through all that! That's terrible! It's really frustrating when they won't listen to you.

Hopefully your doctor will ease your concerns about overdoing it with your arm stretches. It's pretty easy to aggravate your arm, armpit and side during this time. Don't feel bad about it. I've done it too. I finally got through physical therapy enough that they told me I could get my prostesis. I went to the store and was so happy with it that I wore it all day, forgetting that the PT told me to only keep it on for an hour. I was completely swollen up by the end of the day and had a bit of fluid build up in my side. I saw my PT the next day and she said these kinds of things happen all the time. We continued to refer to it as my unfortunate prostesis incident. It just set me back a little bit in my progress but no long term effects.

Lymph massage is a not an exercise. Your lymphatic system is just under the skin so the massage is done very lightly on your skin. No pressure is applied and it doesn't even seem like massage. It was amazing to me how much it helped with swelling and fluid retention. You might ask your doctor to refer you to a physical therapist who would know the techniques and spring for one or two sessions just to learn how to do it. They might be able to advise you about your stretches too.

I hope your appointment went well!