Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Aliaslisa
Aliaslisa Member Posts: 16 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
On July 23 I was told I have Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Aug. 6 I had a biopsy. Triple negative. I had a port installed three weeks ago. In my youth, I had a drug problem. I am on methadone now. I am scared to death of chemotherapy. When I was 23. my mother was diagnosed again with cancer. This time in her throat area. She had only three rounds of Chemo the first time out. When her doctor said he was going to do more Chemo and radiation, my mother said "I'd rather die." she did, about two weeks later. In the three years she was fighting cancer, she aged thirty years. I don't want to do chemo, be very sick, and just die anyway! I am told it's Stage Four already. I don't know what to do. With my drug history, no one wants to take me on as a patient. Of course I don't have any insurance, just Medi Cal, so that leaves one doctor out of a hundred that might look at me. I seem to just be a Lost Cause to them. I want to live! I have three beautiful grandchildren. Oh well, goodnight. Lisa.

Comments

  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    LISA
    Do whatever it takes to fight this. As you said you have 3 beautiful grandchildren. Go ahead and find that one doctor who will help you. I have a friend who is on Medicare and she has a wonderful ongologist who is treating her. That one doctor is all you need!! Hugs, Diane
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    We want you to live too!
    The first step I would recommend is contacting the nearest branch of the American Cancer Society. You will find caring and resourceful people there to help you overcome your specific challenges. There are plenty of folks on the CSN boards, here and elsewhere, who were diagnosed Stage IV years ago and are still flipping off the beast.

    The second step I would recommend is that you keep coming here to update us on how you're doing and to ask specific questions. As you will find, this is a support group like none other.

    Best,
    Joe (Moopy's husband)
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    chickad52 said:

    LISA
    Do whatever it takes to fight this. As you said you have 3 beautiful grandchildren. Go ahead and find that one doctor who will help you. I have a friend who is on Medicare and she has a wonderful ongologist who is treating her. That one doctor is all you need!! Hugs, Diane

    Don't give UP!!
    Those Grandkids are worth fighting for!!! Just becasue of your Mom's DX soesn't mean the same for you!! My Mom died while in th e Hospitial having cancer treatment too... But I'm a different person than her. I'm younger than she was and my cancer was caught sooner. There are several Women on here that have had triple negitive cancer and are doing GREAT!!!
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Calleen said:

    Don't give UP!!
    Those Grandkids are worth fighting for!!! Just becasue of your Mom's DX soesn't mean the same for you!! My Mom died while in th e Hospitial having cancer treatment too... But I'm a different person than her. I'm younger than she was and my cancer was caught sooner. There are several Women on here that have had triple negitive cancer and are doing GREAT!!!

    Good point, Calleen!
    One of those successful "triple negative" survivors is my own beloved wife Moopy23. In case you feel uncomfortable asking "triple negative" questions on the board, please send a private message to either of us.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I was diagnosed with
    I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer last July, and I am still around!. I was not triple negative, so your treatment will be different than mine. I did not get very sick from chemo, just tired. Same with radiation. At the time I was diagnosed, I was already stage 4. That means the cancer had spread, however, my last scans were clean. Look for a doctor that will treat you, I am sure that you will find someone. There are a lot of breast cancer survivors on this board, do not give up hope. Remember that you have a lot to live for. Take Care,
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Nobody is a lost cause, and this includes you - Miss Lisa
    Please take a few minutes and contact American Cancer Society . local office in your area.

    We all deserve a second or third chance at life. This includes you.


    My prayers go out to you and your family ..


    VickiSam
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Lisa...
    So sorry to hear what you are going through. There really are Doctors out there that will help you. I know because my husband and I work with a treatment facility for addicts and alcoholics. We are paying back our gratitude for the way they helped our son get clean. He is now taking his test for Law School. Prior to this 2 years ago, he lay in ICU with a ventilator breathing for him from an overdose. He was not expected to live. He did, but not with all the bagage that follows you from your prior life style, which makes staying clean even harder. And then one day, he needed a Doctor but he was on the "blacklist" so to speak. They will care for you with conditions. Usually only one Doc will write you scripts and all Drugs Stores are notified Nationally (thru a new computer system) and you will not be able to "Doctor shop" to get other refills. You will be monitored. This is their biggest concerns working with an addict. I remember my son needing a wisdom tooth pulled and was concerned about his "Freelapse". He made it through just fine.
    I would suggest as a first step to call ACS and let them know that you desperately need a patient advocate to help you find a Doctor. Even with your past drug history, you can not be refused treatment for BC.
    Who preformed your biopsy and who installed your port? A Doctor had to order these procedures. I would say they have already taken you on as a patient. If it is an Oncologist that you are having a hard time finding, keep after them. They will get you one or ACS may know how to find you one.
    Keep us posted and lets us know if there is anything else we can help with. Things have changed tremendously in the last few years alone, so do not compare your experience to your mothers. You will get through this. You will need to be strong (which you can be) and know that your past is an unfortunate shadow that will always follow you, but there are people out there that are willing to work with you.
    Pammy
  • adan57
    adan57 Member Posts: 4
    They HAVE to help you
    My sister wouldnt go to the doctors because she had no insurance. Well, by the time I got her to go she was bleeding like I have never seen in my life. Needless to say, I walked in the front door of the hospital with her, they took her right in.

    She ended up with cancer and she had to have surgery and she had chemo and weekly followup blood work and meds and you know what, no one asked her for a penny,

    They CAN NOT turn you down, you need care so go and get it now. Go to the emergency room of your local hospital they cant turn you away.

    OMG I am screaming here because of this world we live in that we are lead to believe that we can just turn over and die and no one cares. Well, a lot of people dont care if you dont have money but they have to help you. I wish Obama was here listening to this story, this just brought back all the anger I had at my sister, she almost died, actually they told her on the Thursday if I hadnt forced her to go she would NOT have lived to see Sunday. Come on GO!!! Please go to the hospital, dont make calls, or ask opinions just go.

    You have to go because if I bang on these keys any harder my fingers will break.
    Please go, I will be thinking about this until I hear something.

    As for your past, we all have a past, too bad most people who would judge are the ones who are closet drinkers or chester the molester, please go get yourself taken care of.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    adan57 said:

    They HAVE to help you
    My sister wouldnt go to the doctors because she had no insurance. Well, by the time I got her to go she was bleeding like I have never seen in my life. Needless to say, I walked in the front door of the hospital with her, they took her right in.

    She ended up with cancer and she had to have surgery and she had chemo and weekly followup blood work and meds and you know what, no one asked her for a penny,

    They CAN NOT turn you down, you need care so go and get it now. Go to the emergency room of your local hospital they cant turn you away.

    OMG I am screaming here because of this world we live in that we are lead to believe that we can just turn over and die and no one cares. Well, a lot of people dont care if you dont have money but they have to help you. I wish Obama was here listening to this story, this just brought back all the anger I had at my sister, she almost died, actually they told her on the Thursday if I hadnt forced her to go she would NOT have lived to see Sunday. Come on GO!!! Please go to the hospital, dont make calls, or ask opinions just go.

    You have to go because if I bang on these keys any harder my fingers will break.
    Please go, I will be thinking about this until I hear something.

    As for your past, we all have a past, too bad most people who would judge are the ones who are closet drinkers or chester the molester, please go get yourself taken care of.

    You can tell your story to
    You can tell your story to the IVillage.com Politics Today board. There are a bunch of wankers on there squacking about Obama and his desire to have Health Care Reform. They get me so angry some of them.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    I B C
    aug of 07 i was dx with IBC as of aug 09 i am clean chemo is no fun but if i had to do it again i would. you dont need to wait time is not on your side go find onc and take the chemo.please dont look at the past look to the future we walk one day at a time. hugs to you