metastatic breast cancer stage 4

Options
djacobs40505
djacobs40505 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi this is my first post. I am the caretaker of my mom who was just diagonosed with metastatic breast cancer stage 4 she is taking hormone therapy and its making her cry all the time is there anything I can do I feel so helpless

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Good Daughter......
    I know all of you are scared.....try to hang in there.....the women on this site have and are walking in your mom's shoes.......Perhaps you should call her doctor......don't be afraid to ask for something for the emotional side of this....most doctors will gladly call in something for her to ease the anxiety........I took Valium when first diagnosed and now take Ativan as needed, and that's becoming less and less.....I know, too, how helpless you must feel.......let her talk all she wants.....it helps to get it out and just be comforting and a good listener as I am sure you are already.
    Prayers and best wishes
    Nancy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Good Daughter......
    I know all of you are scared.....try to hang in there.....the women on this site have and are walking in your mom's shoes.......Perhaps you should call her doctor......don't be afraid to ask for something for the emotional side of this....most doctors will gladly call in something for her to ease the anxiety........I took Valium when first diagnosed and now take Ativan as needed, and that's becoming less and less.....I know, too, how helpless you must feel.......let her talk all she wants.....it helps to get it out and just be comforting and a good listener as I am sure you are already.
    Prayers and best wishes
    Nancy

Welcome,
    I'm not yet on hormone therapy, so I can't speak to that part of your post....but, if you haven't already, be sure to call the ACS and let them know your situation and request some of their free materials.

Their phone reps are so compassionate and easy to talk to, and they have great recommendations for so many booklets that I've found to be very helpful. I would particularly recommend that you ask for:

- Caregiving: How to Care for a Loved One with Cancer -- and Yourself
    - Caring for the Patient with Cancer at Home: A Guide for Patients and Families
    - Listen with Your Heart: Talking with the Person Who Has Cancer
    - Anxiety, Fear and Depression

I'm sure they will have several other recommendations as well. Please keep posting, and asking questions -- the women (and men) on this site are tremendous resources.

Traci
  • round3
    round3 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mother
    If your mother has never had cancer before, this could be quite a blow. Even if she has, to be told you have stage 4 is a nightmare. I would talk to her Oncologists about this. I have been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication even before my I found out my cancer had returned and was stage 4. There are things that can be done to help her. I would imagine she is very glad to have you with her. I am sure your support and love is very important to her, especially now.

Let us know how things progress.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Welcome
    Sorry for your mom and family. There are so many medications that would help ur mom. Talk to ur onc. I have found them to be the best at prescribing antidepressants. You didn't state ur moms age. If she's an older adult be careful. She may just need a little something to get her over the shock of being diagnosed. I work in health care, and my advice also is to take care of yourself. So many times we (caretakers)put off our ownselves. Maybe a check-up 4 you if u haven't done so in a while. It's a long and sometimes a bumpy road. Bless u both. Katz
  • Tarsha
    Tarsha Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My first diagnosis was with cancer is stage 4. It has already spread. It's very hard to deal at times.