Mastectomy/Hysterectomy/Port photos...

JGrim
JGrim Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I hope it's all right to post this here... I read the terms and it seems that only commercial sites or volunteer/project solicitations are prohibited. I couldn't find a lot of mastectomy photos when I was about to have one, so I had mine photographed and put the pictures online at CancerVacation.com. There are lots of "befores" and "afters" but not a lot of "durings" and while surgical photos aren't for everybody I do believe a woman has a right to see what will happen to her if she wants. So if you know anyone that's facing that or anyone that's already faced that and wants to know what a mastectomy looks like in a discovery channel kind of way, the pictures are there. Also photos of my hysterectomy, port installation, and what steroid weight gain can turn out like.

If anyone has any ideas on getting the word out in a useful way about my project I'd love to hear them. I don't really want to mass-spam the internet about it, because if a ton of people jump over there to just ogle "boobie pics" I won't be able to pay for the hosting, heh. On the other hand, I obviously do want the project to be available. *flail*

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    You are very brave to do
    You are very brave to do this and I admire you! I'm sure it will be helpful to many.
  • JGrim
    elm3544 said:

You are very brave to do
    You are very brave to do this and I admire you! I'm sure it will be helpful to many.

I don't know about brave,
    I don't know about brave, hehe... although lumpy, rolls-of-back-fat steroid weight photos were kind of hard to post. Less than two hours after they were up, though, a woman emailed me that used them to demonstrate to her husband that other people gained weight from steroids and he needed to get off her back. Right now I'm working on a paper doll that moms can use to explain to their smaller children the changes that go on with treatment... I ought to have that up later this morning.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    JGrim said:

I don't know about brave,
    I don't know about brave, hehe... although lumpy, rolls-of-back-fat steroid weight photos were kind of hard to post. Less than two hours after they were up, though, a woman emailed me that used them to demonstrate to her husband that other people gained weight from steroids and he needed to get off her back. Right now I'm working on a paper doll that moms can use to explain to their smaller children the changes that go on with treatment... I ought to have that up later this morning.

I saw your other post and
    I saw your other post and went back to your site. I think that is a great idea. You are very creative! What you are doing for others is a wonderful thing. Your website is awesome and you are an amazing woman!
  • JGrim
    elm3544 said:

I saw your other post and
    I saw your other post and went back to your site. I think that is a great idea. You are very creative! What you are doing for others is a wonderful thing. Your website is awesome and you are an amazing woman!

Well, thanks. *blush*
    Well, thanks. *blush* *hide*

The next project is a series on how to alter clothes for free for those of us that gained a bunch of weight and have no money. No sewing experience required, even.
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    Pics
    When I went to my surgeon, before the surgery - I was unsure of what type of reconstruction I wanted. They proceed to pull out an album. It had every before/during and after picture imaginable. They had the tran flaps, implants, and no reconstruction.

I choose implants. On one of my scheduled visits before surgery, a picture was taken. A picture was taken after the implants were put in,and I'm sure that another picture will be taken for my year checkup,and after the tattooing...........

jill
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    jikaras said:

Pics
    When I went to my surgeon, before the surgery - I was unsure of what type of reconstruction I wanted. They proceed to pull out an album. It had every before/during and after picture imaginable. They had the tran flaps, implants, and no reconstruction.

I choose implants. On one of my scheduled visits before surgery, a picture was taken. A picture was taken after the implants were put in,and I'm sure that another picture will be taken for my year checkup,and after the tattooing...........

jill

No pictures
    Jill,

I had the opposite experience with a plastic surgeon. I asked to see reconstruction pictures including nipples and tats of some of his patients (so I'd know what I was getting into) and his nurse said "You don't need to see them yet. It will be a long time before you are done with expanders." I went home and looked up some pictures online.

After thinking about it for a few days I decided to not have reconstruction done. I wondered though if they didn't show me any pictures because his reconstruction work wasn't of the best quality.....hmmmm.

I would definately tell anyone interested in reconstruction to ask to see (after) pictures of some patients to make sure they knew what they were getting into.