met another survivor today!

elm3544
elm3544 Member Posts: 748
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This morning my husband and I went out and did something we have never done before- Yard Sale-ing!
We found what we were looking for early. We decided to keep shopping just for something to do when we ran across a sign that said "yard sale for the cure" so of course we made our way over to it. When we arrived a woman came right up to me and introduced herself. I guess I stick out like a sore thumb with the headscarf on! Her name is Lori. She was very friendly and briefly told me her story. She went to the same oncologist's office as I did for chemo and had Maryann's doctor! She has just come upon her 1 year anniversary of finishing Rads and will be participating in the Race For The Cure on Oct. 11, which I also will be participating in. All the money from the yard sale will go towards donations for the race. I thought this was a pretty cool idea. I felt somewhat self conscious (as I always do in public with my head coverings on) it felt like everyone was looking at me so I didn't talk alot but I was glad to have met her today.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    That is really great Elm!
    That is really great Elm! And, what a good idea she had!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

That is really great Elm!
    That is really great Elm! And, what a good idea she had!

I have heard of those kind
    I have heard of those kind of sales before. I think that is great! Glad you got to meet another bc survivor Elm!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    susie09 said:

I have heard of those kind
    I have heard of those kind of sales before. I think that is great! Glad you got to meet another bc survivor Elm!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

That was really cool
    And a good idea too!

At work yesterday, some of the girls came up to me and asked if when we participate in the stride walk if they could make a team for me. I was so touched. We participate in these events every year, including those for MS, Arthritis, Rady's childrens hospital, and several others, as a store effort. It's my job to organize our store, never thought I would be on the other side.

The more people we get from each store the more our home office donates for the cause. They also told me they had made me a blanket with everyone name on it, it was all very touching. They were afraid I would be offended, but how can I be?

Aurora
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748

That was really cool
    And a good idea too!

At work yesterday, some of the girls came up to me and asked if when we participate in the stride walk if they could make a team for me. I was so touched. We participate in these events every year, including those for MS, Arthritis, Rady's childrens hospital, and several others, as a store effort. It's my job to organize our store, never thought I would be on the other side.

The more people we get from each store the more our home office donates for the cause. They also told me they had made me a blanket with everyone name on it, it was all very touching. They were afraid I would be offended, but how can I be?

Aurora

Aurora that is great! What a
    Aurora that is great! What a wonderful group of co workers you have!