Kimby - Mouth sore remedy ?

Devasted
Devasted Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Kimby,

Donna posted she thought you might have a recipe for mouth sore rememdy?
Husband just completed first round of chemo, trying to prevent a problem...

Thanks ;)

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Kimby's recipe
    Kimby sent me her recipe.

1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup water
    Gargle often for a few days before chemo and after. My throat sores and two mouth sores appeared about 5 days after chemo and were never bad, using this formula.

I used warm water and upped the salt a bit. My dentist said too much salt will dry your mouth and gums, worsening the effects of chemo.

Chemo affects your gums, soft tissue in the mouth, mucous membranes in the nose, salivary glands.... Dry mouth causes loads of dental concerns.

If hubby didn't see his dentist pre-chemo, ask his onc about seeing her now. She can give him some special toothpaste to help prevent damage to the teeth.
  • Devasted
    Devasted Member Posts: 185

Kimby's recipe
    Kimby sent me her recipe.

1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup water
    Gargle often for a few days before chemo and after. My throat sores and two mouth sores appeared about 5 days after chemo and were never bad, using this formula.

I used warm water and upped the salt a bit. My dentist said too much salt will dry your mouth and gums, worsening the effects of chemo.

Chemo affects your gums, soft tissue in the mouth, mucous membranes in the nose, salivary glands.... Dry mouth causes loads of dental concerns.

If hubby didn't see his dentist pre-chemo, ask his onc about seeing her now. She can give him some special toothpaste to help prevent damage to the teeth.

Thanks
    We'll try it, can't thank you enough!
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Mouth Sores
    Yep, that's what I use. Thanks Diane! I swish several times a day and brush often. I also use a toddler toothbrush and Biotene toothpaste the week of chemo.

Good luck. Mouth sores are aweful!

Kimby