VickiCO and dilation

kristasplace
kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Vicki! The site wouldn't let me post to your thread about the dilation. I don't know why that happens sometimes!

I'm so glad the dilation was a success!! It sucks about the radiation damage. I have it too, but no one has mentioned colitis. What exactly is it? Is it another term for IBS? I don't know if you've tried probiotics yet, but i would highly recommend them. I mostly use the Kefir which is sold just about everywhere (especially health food markets). I don't know if you remember how miserable i was for so long? Well, everything, and i mean EVERYTHING changed once i started taking that regularly. I almost feel normal!! I had completely forgotten what normal bowel movements looked like.

I'm still supposed to have my next dilation on Tuesday, but i don't know if it's going to work out or not. I'm having problems again with the insurance, and also with getting the half lytely instead of the golytely. I'm so over due for a colonoscopy, it isn't even funny!

So what are they saying about your insides as far as the cancer? Are you still NED, and did they find any polyps?

Hugs!
Krista

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Probiotics
    Yes, I take probiotics daily. They are a gift, aren't they? I am glad they give you relief. I take the cold form capsules and that seems to work for me. The dilation really helps with the 'normal' bowel movements. And they have now taken away all my food restrictions. I can eat normally again - veggies, fruit (in moderation) and not the ever present pasta that I have been living on for months! I even had rack of lamb the other night - my treat of red meat this month. Mostly I still avoid fried foods and chocolate. I was a chocoholic before, but now one piece sets off the diarrhea.

At my last colonoscopy they found two polyps, but they were benign. So far, so good and I am still NED. I have a scan coming up in a couple of weeks...they are watching the liver now. If that is clear, we can breathe easier again.

Colitis is damage and inflammation of the colon, causing bloating, diarrhea, cramps, blood in stool, etc. It is usually the result of an infection, a disease like Crohn's, or radiation damage. It also contributes to the stenosis (closing of the colon). If it gets severe enough, the possibility of going for an ostomy exists. Right now my gastro doc is hopeful that I will heal over time, but watching it closely. If this dilation doesn't stay open, then surgery is the next step. But I am thinking positively.

Thanks for asking.... Vicki
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    VickiCO said:

Probiotics
    Yes, I take probiotics daily. They are a gift, aren't they? I am glad they give you relief. I take the cold form capsules and that seems to work for me. The dilation really helps with the 'normal' bowel movements. And they have now taken away all my food restrictions. I can eat normally again - veggies, fruit (in moderation) and not the ever present pasta that I have been living on for months! I even had rack of lamb the other night - my treat of red meat this month. Mostly I still avoid fried foods and chocolate. I was a chocoholic before, but now one piece sets off the diarrhea.

At my last colonoscopy they found two polyps, but they were benign. So far, so good and I am still NED. I have a scan coming up in a couple of weeks...they are watching the liver now. If that is clear, we can breathe easier again.

Colitis is damage and inflammation of the colon, causing bloating, diarrhea, cramps, blood in stool, etc. It is usually the result of an infection, a disease like Crohn's, or radiation damage. It also contributes to the stenosis (closing of the colon). If it gets severe enough, the possibility of going for an ostomy exists. Right now my gastro doc is hopeful that I will heal over time, but watching it closely. If this dilation doesn't stay open, then surgery is the next step. But I am thinking positively.

Thanks for asking.... Vicki

Vicki :)
    Hi Vicki

I'm going to hope and pray that things settle out and no ostomy for you...just read your post and had to write you.

Radiation did me in as well...and the resection made things so bad for so many years. I can certainly understand what you and Krista have described. I was never told that I had any of those conditions, except for radiation damage and alot of swelling at the juncture of the resection..."inflammed" is the word they used, but suspect it was worse than that.

The stenosis sounds scary enough...I guess I'm through that hoop, but things were so bad the 1st 2 years, it scared me that an ostomy was in my future as well...I hope your results are clear and that things continue to get better for you :)

Krista - I'm so glad that things are getting better for you...I know you have suffered a 1000 deaths and I've heard the pain and frustration in your posts - it's funny isn't it how we forget what "NORMAL" is supposed to look like, huh? We suffer for so long we can't remember what that looks like anymore - glad things are turning for the better - you deserve it!

All the best, ladies
    -Craig
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Hi Vicki

I'm going to hope and pray that things settle out and no ostomy for you...just read your post and had to write you.

Radiation did me in as well...and the resection made things so bad for so many years. I can certainly understand what you and Krista have described. I was never told that I had any of those conditions, except for radiation damage and alot of swelling at the juncture of the resection..."inflammed" is the word they used, but suspect it was worse than that.

The stenosis sounds scary enough...I guess I'm through that hoop, but things were so bad the 1st 2 years, it scared me that an ostomy was in my future as well...I hope your results are clear and that things continue to get better for you :)

Krista - I'm so glad that things are getting better for you...I know you have suffered a 1000 deaths and I've heard the pain and frustration in your posts - it's funny isn't it how we forget what "NORMAL" is supposed to look like, huh? We suffer for so long we can't remember what that looks like anymore - glad things are turning for the better - you deserve it!

All the best, ladies
    -Craig

Thanks Craig
    for being so sweet! Yes, things are better than i ever could have imagined! I was seriously leaning towards making them give me another ostomy. Now i haven't had to wear a diaper in almost two weeks!! No more "surprises", no more sudden urges with cramps that bowl me over...amazing!

I hope that you're doing okay? I have not seen any updates recently about you. Are you hanging in there?

Vicki, i'm so thrilled the doc thinks you'll get passed this! I know how horrible it is to think you may have to get a permanent ostomy after everything you've gone through. The body is such an incredible organism! Resilient and adaptable.

Hugs to both of you!
    Krista
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Sundanceh said:

Hi Vicki

All the best, ladies
    -Craig

Thanks Craig
    I am doing fine...I really don't think the ostomy is my future, but they are just preparing me 'in case'. I have seen improvement this week since the dilation. And I think the positive change in diet is helping as well. But, if I have to get an ostomy, it's certainly not the end of the world! When I consider how lucky I am to be where I am today, I'll do whatever it takes to stay healthy!

Many hugs, Vicki