metallic taste?

Options
mommyof2kds
mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
anyone ever have this. I haven't had chemo in almost 2 weeks, but the last few days I have this taste that won't go away, kinda like a metallic taste I think.. Thanks Petrina

Comments

  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Ick!
    I remember it well. It sort of builds up over time until it seems to be a constant companion, making everything taste awful. It is almost insult to injury since we condemned to lukewarm drinking water anyway... Some people have found relief with sour things like lemon drops--the tartness seems to cut through the taste. I'm sure there will be many other suggestions, but that one worked for me sometimes. It will pass....

    Kirsten
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    kmygil said:

    Ugh! Ick!
    I remember it well. It sort of builds up over time until it seems to be a constant companion, making everything taste awful. It is almost insult to injury since we condemned to lukewarm drinking water anyway... Some people have found relief with sour things like lemon drops--the tartness seems to cut through the taste. I'm sure there will be many other suggestions, but that one worked for me sometimes. It will pass....

    Kirsten

    yep
    and carried lemon drops with me all the time!
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options

    yep
    and carried lemon drops with me all the time!

    Yes~
    I also was getting that yucky taste as well, and my doctor told me not to use regular utensils, and to use plastic forks and spoons as well, this really helped me :)

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Strong
    When I was helping take care of a little three year old that had leukemia, there was even a metallic smell in the house when you first walked in. It was very strong.

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

    Strong
    When I was helping take care of a little three year old that had leukemia, there was even a metallic smell in the house when you first walked in. It was very strong.

    *hugs*
    Gail

    I think...
    ...that could be the chemo smell, I smell it on myself during infusion at times, kind of coming out of your pores, I hate that, you can taste it in your mouth as well.

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • abmb
    abmb Member Posts: 311
    Options
    metallic taste
    My husband has that awful taste in his mouth all the time. I just told him about the lemon drops that I read about. I will definitely go out and buy him some tomorrow morning.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    abmb said:

    metallic taste
    My husband has that awful taste in his mouth all the time. I just told him about the lemon drops that I read about. I will definitely go out and buy him some tomorrow morning.

    Isn't some chemo metal based ?
    Like Platinum based Oxaliplatin? That to me would cause the metal taste in their mouth. Just an opinion though.........
  • Sandi1
    Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Lemon
    My husband has lemon ice before dinner and then later in the evening, seems to help keep it at bay. Oh and peppermint tictacs for during the day!
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    Options
    Sandi1 said:

    Lemon
    My husband has lemon ice before dinner and then later in the evening, seems to help keep it at bay. Oh and peppermint tictacs for during the day!

    Hi
    Hi, I also heard anything tart will do. I am starting up again next week. I will definately try taking lemon drops with me. When I had my last chemo treatments I had a peppermint candy, OUCH! :) I won't be trying that again!
    Karyn
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Options

    Hi
    Hi, I also heard anything tart will do. I am starting up again next week. I will definately try taking lemon drops with me. When I had my last chemo treatments I had a peppermint candy, OUCH! :) I won't be trying that again!
    Karyn

    Lemon drops
    The metallic taste is such a common occurence that my Cancer facility had baskets of lemon drops scattered around for the patients. They should help.

    Smiles,
    Dawn