In the hospital again

Options
pattynonews
pattynonews Member Posts: 176
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Well Im back I was staying away because I had to do some soulsearching, and I know in my heart Im doing the best for Jack, and plus on Friday night I had to rush Jack to the ER again , He had an infection, again , they are not sure if the 1st infection just never totally went away, or if the tumor in his neck got an infection, but also he got something called orthostatic ( which his blood pressure drops ) which the night we had to go to the hospital he fell and hit his head so there is so much going on, his blood sugar went up but they said it could be from the steroids, so now I really have my hand full, they put the pik line in so I had to learn to flush it because it has to be flushed everday, and his insurance will not pay for a nurse to come out and flush, he gets a nurse out once a week to change the dressing and just check him out, They also check his peg tube, and they told us it has good placement and no infection, and it was very well taken care of, ( so I guess the honey and the extra protein in his peg did not harm it, and they actually said his body probaly benefit from the extra nutrients that I was giving him, think about a body can not just live on can food, it needs vegatables, ( that is the superfood I give him ) So trust us CARETAKERS REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING !!!!!

It just seems its one thing after another with Jack, I wish we knew the reason for his blood pressure dropping, Then we thought about it , it could be the patches, it seem like it started around the same time, but we are not sure, but the patches keep him comfortable, actually sonce he has had the patches he has not taken as much hydromorphone, We go to the doctors tomorrow so I guess we will know if Jack will be able to start Chemo, not sure if is body can handle it, He had a blood transfusion in the hospital and IV iron hopefully his blood levels will maintain, So I guess we will keep going down the gypsy road as Jack would say, keep up the fighting spirit

Comments

• junklady
    junklady Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    my heart goes to you
    pattynonews- My heart goes to you;Bless you for hanging in there with Jack. My man is from Texas too. Surgery tomorrow. Scared too death. Can't think right now. Will try more later. God bless you. Keep fighting.
  • trish07
    trish07 Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Hospital Again....!
    You must be so Frazzeled!!! Just about the time your able to catch your breath...You're back again! We've gone through those "grab n go" trips so many times...each time I said to myself "from now on I'm going to keep a bag already packed at all times for unexpected hospital stays!" [ of course I haven't done it ]

You knew honey and extra protein was a "good thing" [CARETAKERS REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!]

Your probably right about the patches and jack's blood pressure, our hunches are normally pretty good since we're there 24/7. I hope jack is able to start his chemo and that he is feeling better. "Keep up the fighting spirit!"

Let us know what the doctor said,
    Take Good Care, Trish
  • pattynonews
    Options
    trish07 said:

Hospital Again....!
    You must be so Frazzeled!!! Just about the time your able to catch your breath...You're back again! We've gone through those "grab n go" trips so many times...each time I said to myself "from now on I'm going to keep a bag already packed at all times for unexpected hospital stays!" [ of course I haven't done it ]

You knew honey and extra protein was a "good thing" [CARETAKERS REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!]

Your probably right about the patches and jack's blood pressure, our hunches are normally pretty good since we're there 24/7. I hope jack is able to start his chemo and that he is feeling better. "Keep up the fighting spirit!"

Let us know what the doctor said,
    Take Good Care, Trish

I like that grab and go, I
    I like that grab and go, I always say that too, I will have a bag but it never happen either, He is doing alot better, I ve been keepin him very hydrated and alot of super foods, His pressure is holding, and no more lightheaded, so that is good, Im hoping the chemo is going to go well tomorrow, He will go once a week for 6 weeks and then we will do new scans, I believe the only reaction is a skin rash, which Im a little concern about, because Jack gets this nervous habit of pickin, which will lead to infection, So I have to be really careful, Im now feel comfortable with his pik line and flushing it, I have to make sure it has a good blood flow, So lets just pray for a good week with the chemo and it works, that is all I can do it just hope for the best, and do my best

Thanks Trish
  • MichelleP
    MichelleP Member Posts: 254
    Options

I like that grab and go, I
    I like that grab and go, I always say that too, I will have a bag but it never happen either, He is doing alot better, I ve been keepin him very hydrated and alot of super foods, His pressure is holding, and no more lightheaded, so that is good, Im hoping the chemo is going to go well tomorrow, He will go once a week for 6 weeks and then we will do new scans, I believe the only reaction is a skin rash, which Im a little concern about, because Jack gets this nervous habit of pickin, which will lead to infection, So I have to be really careful, Im now feel comfortable with his pik line and flushing it, I have to make sure it has a good blood flow, So lets just pray for a good week with the chemo and it works, that is all I can do it just hope for the best, and do my best

Thanks Trish

Trish
    I'm happy to hear he's doing better...that's good news! You mentioned the rash...which chemo will he be on? The only one I am aware of that creates a rash is Tarceva, but that's a pill form of chemo. My husband has the dreaded Tarceva rash and I use baby shampoos and baby bath wash. It's much easier on their skin which the rash tends to really dry out. Then I use a good quality perfume free lotion called cetaphil (spelling?). If the itch gets to him, try hydrocordisone cream 1% (available OTC).

PS I tried your idea of the protein powder and honey for my hubby, but I tossed in a banana too!
  • pattynonews
    Options
    MichelleP said:

Trish
    I'm happy to hear he's doing better...that's good news! You mentioned the rash...which chemo will he be on? The only one I am aware of that creates a rash is Tarceva, but that's a pill form of chemo. My husband has the dreaded Tarceva rash and I use baby shampoos and baby bath wash. It's much easier on their skin which the rash tends to really dry out. Then I use a good quality perfume free lotion called cetaphil (spelling?). If the itch gets to him, try hydrocordisone cream 1% (available OTC).

PS I tried your idea of the protein powder and honey for my hubby, but I tossed in a banana too!

I cant remember the name but
    I cant remember the name but it is IV form, I will get some baby soap, Yea the powder works, because think about it your body needs the nutrients, not just the can drinks, if your hubby is tube feed just watch the banana, that you blend them really good, and I think it helps psychology, it makes them feel like they are eating regular food, I think Jack is having a little anixety, he startng vomiting, poor guy, he just goes up and down like a yo yo with feeling good and bad, I dont know sometimes where he gets the strenght, Im so proud of him, i will let everyone know how it goes tomorros,

Thanks Patty