nausea

rosebud5
rosebud5 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I'm new. I start chemo on wednesday. I have always dreaded being nausis all my life. Now I see a side effect of chemo (adriamycn & cytoxan) is nausea. My doctor is going to give me anti-nausea drugs, but I'm stiil afaid. Any suggestions on what to eat the morning of and after the 1st chemo and so on?
Thanks,
cheryl

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    What to eat?
    Eat light and then you will know what you can handle.
    Take the anti-nausea meds as directed and you should have no problem. Even if you don't feel nauseous take them because it nips the nausea in the bud.

Everyone is different--I could eat anything under the sun.

Rinse mouth often. Use plastic ware not silver ware. Cook when you can in glass and not metal. Drink plenty of water to flush your system.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Cheryl
    Have you ever had a baby??? Thats what a/c felt like for me...morning sickness starting 2 days after chemo which lasted all that day, and into the next. My appetite was sluggish for about the first week, but each day out from chemo I felt better. I agree with tommaseena that you need to push fluids, lots of water. I had popsicles, jello, chicken noodle soup gatorade and I would make myself eat and drink on my worst day. You will feel really tired too and the antinausea meds are good but they can make you sleepy as well.

For the most part I managed but to tell you the truth after 4 cycles every other week I was glad to start something else.

Try not to be afraid if you can but you will have to work on the fluids and the intake...it is super important.

Post often cuz we are all here to get you thru it...and remember to rinse your mouth with 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp baking soda to 8 oz of warm water...do 2 to 3 times per day and it will help prevent the mouth sores from starting.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Welcome
    Take the advice from Margo and Linda. I really can't add anything. Everyone reacts differently. You'll have to see how you are. I too did the A/C treatments. Now I am doing Taxol and Herceptin. for 8 more weeks. Good Luck and don't be afraid. Hugs, Diane
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    drugs
    Make sure you take the anti-nausea drugs before and after the chemo treatment. They should take care of any nausea you might have. You might ask your doctor about Ativan. It is an anxiety drug that has great anti-nausea properties. It's kind of a two for one if you're really nervous. I always ate pretty normally but make sure you eat something. My stomach didn't really get nauseous but it did feel upset. I found eating several small meals during the 3 or 4 days after chemo kept my stomach from feeling weird. Letting your stomach get empty can make it worse. At least for me. You may have to try a few things to figure out what works for you. Drink LOTS of fluids all the time. It makes a big difference.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Cheryl
    Everyone is different,but for me on the day of chemo,I would eat some bread before I went in. A piece of toast or one day my husband and I stopped by the grocery store before the cancer clinic and I bought a couple of lightly seasoned rolls to eat.I always ate just a little and nothing majorly spiced up!After your first treatment,you will probably find out what you can handle and what you can't.
    Keep us posted on how things go!
    Make sure you keep up on those anti nausea pills your onc is going to give you-whether you are feeling sick or not!!
  • Tyari
    Tyari Member Posts: 36

Cheryl
    Everyone is different,but for me on the day of chemo,I would eat some bread before I went in. A piece of toast or one day my husband and I stopped by the grocery store before the cancer clinic and I bought a couple of lightly seasoned rolls to eat.I always ate just a little and nothing majorly spiced up!After your first treatment,you will probably find out what you can handle and what you can't.
    Keep us posted on how things go!
    Make sure you keep up on those anti nausea pills your onc is going to give you-whether you are feeling sick or not!!

I just started chemo on sept
    I just started chemo on sept 3rd. On A/C as well. I can't tell you anything different then anyone else. Take your meds they do help A LOT!

I didn't get sick until the next day after my nulasta shot. Then that friday and sat I felt like I had a flu bug. Though I had/have a headache from the time I left the office and it's still hanging on. My Nurse told me to eat protein to keep strength up. Peanut butter toast has been my best friend the last few days.

Just don't make the mistake I did, when I woke up sunday morning I felt 100 times better then I did the day before. So I got moving and really over did it, over ate did to much around the house. And then spent monday on the couch wore out and kinda icky feeling! lol
    I'll have to remember about the plastic forks and what not. Maybe that will help this like I've been sucking on pennies taste heh

Take Care
    TY
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Tyari said:

I just started chemo on sept
    I just started chemo on sept 3rd. On A/C as well. I can't tell you anything different then anyone else. Take your meds they do help A LOT!

I didn't get sick until the next day after my nulasta shot. Then that friday and sat I felt like I had a flu bug. Though I had/have a headache from the time I left the office and it's still hanging on. My Nurse told me to eat protein to keep strength up. Peanut butter toast has been my best friend the last few days.

Just don't make the mistake I did, when I woke up sunday morning I felt 100 times better then I did the day before. So I got moving and really over did it, over ate did to much around the house. And then spent monday on the couch wore out and kinda icky feeling! lol
    I'll have to remember about the plastic forks and what not. Maybe that will help this like I've been sucking on pennies taste heh

Take Care
    TY

Rosebud, there is a drug
    Rosebud, there is a drug most often prescribed by onc for nausea, and it is Emmend. This is taken about an hour prior to chemo tx, and for the next two days. It really is the best med out there for nausea. I do have one precaution for those of you who have ongoing problems with nausea, and that is not to take the drug Reglan. The FDA has issued a black label warning for this drug, and it was given to me about half way through my chemo tx. I would have break through nausea about day 10-11, and just couldn't shake it. They tried several meds, and finally prescribed Reglan. It has been linked to a neurological disorder called Tardive Dyskinesia, and usually affects older females. After taking Reglan for about three months, I stopped taking it when my nausea went away. However, only three months taking the drug, I have now been diagnosed with TD. It is a permanent, non-treatable neurological disorder, and so far they have found no cure. Just be cautious about taking any drug prescribed, and research it on the internet. I didn't (thinking that a nausea drug wouldn't do any harm). Reglan has been prescribed for years for schizophrenia, and patients who have taken it for 20 or 30 years are now horribly disfigured. Fortunately, mine is a very mild case, but causes side effects that will drive you nuts....constant tongue movement, and mainly anxiety. Good luck on your treatment, and hope you find relief soon. (You can research the drug Reglan on Google, and it will tell you what it causes. Just don't take the drug.) Hugs.

Judy
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member

Rosebud, there is a drug
    Rosebud, there is a drug most often prescribed by onc for nausea, and it is Emmend. This is taken about an hour prior to chemo tx, and for the next two days. It really is the best med out there for nausea. I do have one precaution for those of you who have ongoing problems with nausea, and that is not to take the drug Reglan. The FDA has issued a black label warning for this drug, and it was given to me about half way through my chemo tx. I would have break through nausea about day 10-11, and just couldn't shake it. They tried several meds, and finally prescribed Reglan. It has been linked to a neurological disorder called Tardive Dyskinesia, and usually affects older females. After taking Reglan for about three months, I stopped taking it when my nausea went away. However, only three months taking the drug, I have now been diagnosed with TD. It is a permanent, non-treatable neurological disorder, and so far they have found no cure. Just be cautious about taking any drug prescribed, and research it on the internet. I didn't (thinking that a nausea drug wouldn't do any harm). Reglan has been prescribed for years for schizophrenia, and patients who have taken it for 20 or 30 years are now horribly disfigured. Fortunately, mine is a very mild case, but causes side effects that will drive you nuts....constant tongue movement, and mainly anxiety. Good luck on your treatment, and hope you find relief soon. (You can research the drug Reglan on Google, and it will tell you what it causes. Just don't take the drug.) Hugs.

Judy

When I worked in the Nursing
    When I worked in the Nursing Home , I had a resident who had TD, very sweet woman, wouldn't hurt a fly. She took it for her schizophrenia. She used to have to go for electro shock therapy also. She lived to be in her 80's. Now, let me say I had numerous Residents who had cancer, many had breast cancer! They all lived well into their 80's. I had several who had intestinal cancer and had ostomy bags. One woman lived to be 109! Sometimes, you do what you can to treat it, and place yourself in the Lord's hands, only he knows what will come to pass.