etiquette question

Options
arbojenn
arbojenn Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What is expected as far as response when you get a get well card? I have had several cards from people I use to work with who haved moved on. The card is the first contact I have had with them in a while. Should I respond? Is email appropriate or do I send another card back? I sent a co worker a get well card and got a thank you note for the card. I am thinking of emailing my thanks to those who sent me a card. Is that appropriate? Is that sufficient or should I do more?

Thanks for you input.

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I'd say
    A thank you is a thank you no matter how it is sent! That was really thoughtful of them to send you a card!
    Cathy
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Just my opinion:
    I think it depends on a number of things. How well you know the person, and how much you want to include her in your journey will determine what you do. I do think it's appropriate to acknowledge her time and effort in some way. If you want to simply thank her, without seeming to reach out more, an email would do that for you. Or, if you really want to share more about your cancer with her, you could call to thank her.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Just my opinion:
    I think it depends on a number of things. How well you know the person, and how much you want to include her in your journey will determine what you do. I do think it's appropriate to acknowledge her time and effort in some way. If you want to simply thank her, without seeming to reach out more, an email would do that for you. Or, if you really want to share more about your cancer with her, you could call to thank her.

Thank yous.......
    I have received over 125 cards since my dx in April......how would I ever respond to all of those? I don't even have all of their email addresses....I always, when seeing people who have sent cards, thank them personally......I don't think people expect a thank you for a "get well card" or a loving message......I know, I don't......but I guess it's all a personal decision.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Just my opinion:

Grace........
    I think Grace said it best!
  • sherik
    sherik Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree - I don't think you
    I agree - I don't think you have to send out thank you's to all who send you well wishes. People don't expect it and would not think twice that you didn't send a card. Even if folks drop off food, take out your garbage, walk your dog etc when you need help - Hopefully its coming from a place of compassion without expectations of a plaque with their name on it. I've been keeping a blog to update friends/family and could send a general thank you to all. For those you really want to show apprciation to - if you have time, energy - send a note, e-mail, phone call etc.
    Someone sent me a sympathy card when I was diagnosed - I thought that was truly bizarre -
    how nice though to have the dillemma of wondering what to do for all who have been kind and caring :-)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    sherik said:

I agree - I don't think you have to send out thank you's to all who send you well wishes. People don't expect it and would not think twice that you didn't send a card. Even if folks drop off food, take out your garbage, walk your dog etc when you need help - Hopefully its coming from a place of compassion without expectations of a plaque with their name on it. I've been keeping a blog to update friends/family and could send a general thank you to all. For those you really want to show apprciation to - if you have time, energy - send a note, e-mail, phone call etc.
    Someone sent me a sympathy card when I was diagnosed - I thought that was truly bizarre -
    how nice though to have the dillemma of wondering what to do for all who have been kind and caring :-)

I don't think you have to do
    I don't think you have to do anything for cards. I got way too many to even think of it and they are still coming in. It wouldn't be possible. I truly don't think they expect it, I wouldn't.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    sherik said:

I received several cards
    I received several cards from friends I call or associate with. I just told them thanks when I talked to them again. I sent my cousin in Calif a "Support Card" They had them in with the Get Well Cards. It seemed more appropriate for her.