question about mastectomy scar "touch up."

arbojenn
arbojenn Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey, y'all. I have a question for those of you wonderful ladies who had a mastectomy without reconstruction. I had a reconstructed breast exised and the other "real one" removed. No reconstruction this time. The scars end in "dog ears" (I don't know how else to put this) and I am wondering if anyone else experienced this. (I didn't with my first mastectomy.) Will they go away with radiation? If not, is it possible to have them removed after the radiation is over? Does insurance cover this type of procedure? How long would it take to recover from this "touch up?" I will ask my surgeon about this when I see her for one of my followups, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this. Also, has anyone had a skin graft with their mastectomies? (I have one on my back: had to take out some recurrent tumors that were growing "subcutaneously" which I think means under the skin. Sorry if I sound disjointed: I plead percoset brain.

Thank you so much, ladies! I don't post much, but I do read. I am nowhere near as good with words as you all are and rarely can add anything helpful or new. But I do care about you all and look forward to good news each day when I read the board.

Thanks again!

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    I don't know. I had a
    I don't know. I had a lumpectomy. I hope someone will answer you and help.

Angie
  • Tyari
    Tyari Member Posts: 36
    I have the "dog ears" too.
    I have the "dog ears" too. My Doctor left a lot of skin and with out the tissue in there it kinda pokes out. He said that it will get better as my expanders are filled, and can be fixed with lipo. If I didn't have reconstruction he would just lipo it. Insurance should cover it because it's still considered reconstruction as a result of your mastectomy. But it never hurts to check with your provider.

Take Care,
    TY