How do you convince woman who have not had a mammogram?

lanie940
lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am finding more and more woman who do not want to have a mammogram? I know this woman, she is 46 has yet to have a baseline mammogram! Her Mother died as a result of breast cancer. She is afraid to have one. I was at a family reunion and several woman I talked to have never had mammograms either. I guess the only thing you can say is that you yourself never thought you would be a one in eight victim, but you were, and it was caught early. I don't know what else to say to convince them. The 46 yr old has 2 younger children 6 and 10.

Comments

• Tyari
    Tyari Member Posts: 36
    Sad but true
    You can't. It's sad but true. Many women hear horror stories about how bad it hurts, or the did have one and it did hurt. And it scares them off.

I'm 34 I had my first mammo in may '09, and it found my cancer. I relate my story to anyone who will listen lol!

The only thing you can do is tell them your story (if they will listen that is), and that a few mins of discomfort is better then all the pain and suffering that cancer can/will bring on themselves and their families if not caught in time.

Take care,
    TY
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    You can use my story
    Although I always had a mammo every six months, my cancer was found accidently from an MRI that was done for a totally unrelated problem. This was in between my six month check ups. I was thrilled it was caught so early. However, If I did not have mammos done, and it was found that way, it may have been to late. I would rather stay on top of things then to find out too late. It is uncomfortable to alot of women (never bothered me) but I think the short lived discomfort (no more than going through cramps for your period) is worth it to save your life. Just keep passing the info and hope they take your advice. It is not up to you to convince them as you have no control over their decisions. We put it our there and just hope for the best! Pammy
  • lanie940
    Akiss4me said:

You can use my story
    Although I always had a mammo every six months, my cancer was found accidently from an MRI that was done for a totally unrelated problem. This was in between my six month check ups. I was thrilled it was caught so early. However, If I did not have mammos done, and it was found that way, it may have been to late. I would rather stay on top of things then to find out too late. It is uncomfortable to alot of women (never bothered me) but I think the short lived discomfort (no more than going through cramps for your period) is worth it to save your life. Just keep passing the info and hope they take your advice. It is not up to you to convince them as you have no control over their decisions. We put it our there and just hope for the best! Pammy

I know what you mean. The 46
    I know what you mean. The 46 yr old was very upset when she heard from my sister-in-law about my breast cancer. She is my husband's nephew's wife.(Second wife) She can, I have to admit me obnoxious at times, but I care about her as a woman as much as she can get on one's nerves,LOL. So when she and I talked, I told her how important it was for her to get a mammo. Last time we talked she kept saying "What can I do for you, please, anything to help you" She was really sincere. I told her "Get that Mammogram" She told me she had 3 scrips from her family dr and has not gone to get it. She is afraid of what the mammo might find. I feel bad for her, losing her mom really took a tremendous toll on her. she and my husband's nephew go to councelling since there are marital problems. I hope she will finally take my advice and get one soon.
  • Piggies
    Piggies Member Posts: 26
    You Can't...
    I find that it is impossible to convince someone to have a mammogram. I have a sister-in-law who is 47 years old and has NEVER EVER gone to a gynecologist for anything. No Pap, breast check, NOTHING. Obviously this person has never had a mammogram. She is under the impression that it is a waste of time. Now mind you, I had early Stage 1 Breast Cancer last July 2008 at age 44. It was caught early as a result of my annual mammogram. As a result of it being caught early, I only needed to have a lumpectomy and six weeks radiation. The Oncotype DX test showed that I had a low recurrence score and as a result, I did not need chemo. I am living proof that having a mammogram makes all the difference in the world. Because I didn't need chemo, I didn't have to let a lot of people know about my cancer. My sister, brother, some friends and co workers were the only people my husband and I told. I did not tell my in laws as I saw no reason to worry them. Now some people might think that if I told my sister-in-law about my situation that it would convince her to run out and get a mammogram. Definitely not the case with this individual. There is no way that I or anyone else will get her to have one. Everytime the subject gets brought up at various family functions about doctors and mammos, etc. she just says no way, it's a waste of time. I could punch her out whenever she shows her true ignorance. I just hope that she never has to go through what I did.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Piggies said:

You Can't...
    I find that it is impossible to convince someone to have a mammogram. I have a sister-in-law who is 47 years old and has NEVER EVER gone to a gynecologist for anything. No Pap, breast check, NOTHING. Obviously this person has never had a mammogram. She is under the impression that it is a waste of time. Now mind you, I had early Stage 1 Breast Cancer last July 2008 at age 44. It was caught early as a result of my annual mammogram. As a result of it being caught early, I only needed to have a lumpectomy and six weeks radiation. The Oncotype DX test showed that I had a low recurrence score and as a result, I did not need chemo. I am living proof that having a mammogram makes all the difference in the world. Because I didn't need chemo, I didn't have to let a lot of people know about my cancer. My sister, brother, some friends and co workers were the only people my husband and I told. I did not tell my in laws as I saw no reason to worry them. Now some people might think that if I told my sister-in-law about my situation that it would convince her to run out and get a mammogram. Definitely not the case with this individual. There is no way that I or anyone else will get her to have one. Everytime the subject gets brought up at various family functions about doctors and mammos, etc. she just says no way, it's a waste of time. I could punch her out whenever she shows her true ignorance. I just hope that she never has to go through what I did.

Piggies, I would share your

Piggies, I would share your story with your sister-in-law, even if you don't think that it will help. You are living proof of what good a mammogram can do. Catching your cancer early probably means that it will have very little, if any, impact on your life expectancy, and your treatments were relatively 'easy'. Waiting until there are obvious signs of a problem will almost certainly mean more treatments and a shorter life.

Who knows, maybe a miracle will occur and she will listen! A good dose of reality given by describing your own situation and why you feel you are fortunate might be just the thing she needs.

Joyce
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jk1952 said:

Piggies, I would share your

Piggies, I would share your story with your sister-in-law, even if you don't think that it will help. You are living proof of what good a mammogram can do. Catching your cancer early probably means that it will have very little, if any, impact on your life expectancy, and your treatments were relatively 'easy'. Waiting until there are obvious signs of a problem will almost certainly mean more treatments and a shorter life.

Who knows, maybe a miracle will occur and she will listen! A good dose of reality given by describing your own situation and why you feel you are fortunate might be just the thing she needs.

Joyce

I have no input .. I have tried and tried to come up with
    something to no avail. Most women I know are very private about this health issues, appointments etc. Sisters and close friends share everything ..

I guess we can all stand on a street corner, handing out pamphlets regarding mammograms, and share our stories. Then again, we would probably end up in the loony bin. A short vacation for some of us.

Good luck .. I wish I had some encouraging words, but I don't.

Vicki Sam
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    lanie
    I bought a t shirt from cafe press that says"Think having a mammogram is scary,try finding a lump!" So true!! I know for me,I used to be afraid to give myself self breast exams because I was afraid I was going to find a lump-now,I'm pretty diligent about it!
    I know what you're saying,a neighbor of mine doesn't see the use in it so she's never had a pap or a mammogram. To me that's just plain ignorance,but what can you do? She knows what happened to me,and she is older than I am(and her husband is dying and I want to tell her-I don't want you to die too)...
    I guess for us,we don't understand that. We've all been through hell and back and will do anything we can not to have to go through it again!!
    You can lead a horse to water,but you can't make it drink-what else can I say?!!
  • lanie940

lanie
    I bought a t shirt from cafe press that says"Think having a mammogram is scary,try finding a lump!" So true!! I know for me,I used to be afraid to give myself self breast exams because I was afraid I was going to find a lump-now,I'm pretty diligent about it!
    I know what you're saying,a neighbor of mine doesn't see the use in it so she's never had a pap or a mammogram. To me that's just plain ignorance,but what can you do? She knows what happened to me,and she is older than I am(and her husband is dying and I want to tell her-I don't want you to die too)...
    I guess for us,we don't understand that. We've all been through hell and back and will do anything we can not to have to go through it again!!
    You can lead a horse to water,but you can't make it drink-what else can I say?!!

Well, that's your answer,
    Well, that's your answer, her husband is dying, so maybe she is willing to face whatever her fate is. A neighbor of mine didn't go to his Dr even when he knew something was wrong, his daughter is a Nurse. His wife had a heart attack or stroke,I'm not sure which, several years before, he kept her on life support for 4 years, hoping for a miracle, there was none, he finally took her off life support.He became ill himself a few years later, by the time the cancer was discovered it was all through him. This was how he wanted it, he wanted to be with her. Like you said, some just don't want to know, and when it is cureable,it is a shame they didn't give it a chance.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    lanie940 said:

Well, that's your answer,
    Well, that's your answer, her husband is dying, so maybe she is willing to face whatever her fate is. A neighbor of mine didn't go to his Dr even when he knew something was wrong, his daughter is a Nurse. His wife had a heart attack or stroke,I'm not sure which, several years before, he kept her on life support for 4 years, hoping for a miracle, there was none, he finally took her off life support.He became ill himself a few years later, by the time the cancer was discovered it was all through him. This was how he wanted it, he wanted to be with her. Like you said, some just don't want to know, and when it is cureable,it is a shame they didn't give it a chance.

Yeah,
    don't know if that's why my neighbor is like that or not seeing as she has never had either,but I'm sure that might be part of the reason why today.
    Sad story about your neighbor and his wife...
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Yeah,
    don't know if that's why my neighbor is like that or not seeing as she has never had either,but I'm sure that might be part of the reason why today.
    Sad story about your neighbor and his wife...

I never thought of
    I never thought of "convincing" someone to get a mammo. I assume that if they choose not to, that is their business. Everyone that knows me has gotten one because of my bc and I never said a word. I think women are just scared to get one. They are so terrified of bc and the possibility of losing their breast or breasts. I can't blame them, but, ignorance is not bliss in this case!

Leeza