Tamoxifen and anti-depressants

tgf
tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
For the newbies ... there's been a great deal of discussion lately concerning tamoxifen and anti-depressants being taken together. It seems that the latest research indicates that many (most?) anti-depressants should NOT be taken with tamoxifen because it lessens the effect of tamoxifen.

Well... it's "time" for me to start tamoxifen and I met with my oncologist yesterday and we discussed it. I wasn't put on anti-depressants after my cancer diagnosis ... I'm one of those "clinically depressed" people who have been on anti-depressants for many years. I've been on zoloft and wellbutrin for the past several years and they work fine for me and I always hate messing with my anti-depressants. If it works ... don't change it. Anyway ... after reading posts on this discussion board and doing a bit of digging on the internet ... it seems that zoloft and wellbutrin are on the "no-no" list. I told my oncologist that I was honestly more afraid of changing my anti-depressants than any side effect from the tamoxifen. I asked him if it was really necessary for me to take tamoxifen ... and his response was "It is REALLY (!!!) necessary for you to take tamoxifen!" So that was that. Then we talked about changing my anti-depressants and we've come up with a "plan." He wrote me a prescription for Effexor (sp?). I've been taking my wellbutrin in the morning and my zoloft at night. The prescription for Effexor is for 2 a day ... so I'm going to make the switch gradually. I'll start by not taking the wellbutrin in the morning and taking the morning effexor instead ... but still take the zoloft at night. I'll do that for a week and see how things go. If everything is fine ... then I'll also replace the night zoloft with effexor and do that (no zoloft, no wellbutrin) for a week and see how that goes. And ... if that works fine ... then I'll start tamoxifen the following week. The "plan" took a LOT of the fear out of me concerning my anti-depressants. So ... I'm off to the drug store now to get the prescription filled ... and I've got my fingers crossed that it works just fine for me.

I'll keep you posted.

hugs.
teena

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Antidepressants and recurrence
    Teena, the information about tamoxifen and certain ( most ) antidepressants is that if you take tamoxifen and some antidepressants that you may be at a higher risk for a breast cancer recurrence. There are only 4 antidepressants that I think are considered ok to use with tamox. I will bump the thread up that talked about this for you. The main thing is for anyone who is on tamoxifen or going to be, to check with your oncologist IF you are on or going on an antidepressant. This is serious.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

Antidepressants and recurrence
    Teena, the information about tamoxifen and certain ( most ) antidepressants is that if you take tamoxifen and some antidepressants that you may be at a higher risk for a breast cancer recurrence. There are only 4 antidepressants that I think are considered ok to use with tamox. I will bump the thread up that talked about this for you. The main thing is for anyone who is on tamoxifen or going to be, to check with your oncologist IF you are on or going on an antidepressant. This is serious.

Crossing too
    Good luck to you Teena! I am crossing my fingers, toes and any other part of my anatomy for you. Except my eyes, I can't see then. lol Keep us updated on how it goes with you!

♥ Noel
  • survivorbc09
    Noel said:

Crossing too
    Good luck to you Teena! I am crossing my fingers, toes and any other part of my anatomy for you. Except my eyes, I can't see then. lol Keep us updated on how it goes with you!

♥ Noel

Wishing you good luck Teena!
    Wishing you good luck Teena! You can do it!
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Sounds like a good plan. I
    Sounds like a good plan. I hope it all goes well for you.

hugs
    jlan
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    I too
    Teena
    I was also on wellbutrin, and my dr....after a big tussle i might add, changed me over to effexor....i have been doing great with the change..actually dropped a few pounds...I hope you have a smooth switch over, and continue to do well!
    jeanne
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    j916 said:

I too
    Teena
    I was also on wellbutrin, and my dr....after a big tussle i might add, changed me over to effexor....i have been doing great with the change..actually dropped a few pounds...I hope you have a smooth switch over, and continue to do well!
    jeanne

Teena, I hope that you go
    Teena, I hope that you go thru the change of antidepressants with no problem. Let us know!

Leeza
  • survivorbc09
    j916 said:

I too
    Teena
    jeanne

Glad you had such a smooth
    Glad you had such a smooth switch over J916!

Hugs
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Glad you had such a smooth
    Glad you had such a smooth switch over J916!

Hugs

Hi Teena. How are you doing
    Hi Teena. How are you doing with changing your antidepressants? I hope it is going easily for you.

Sue :)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Ritzy said:

Hi Teena. How are you doing
    Hi Teena. How are you doing with changing your antidepressants? I hope it is going easily for you.

Sue :)

Teena, how are you doing so
    Teena, how are you doing so far? I haven't seen a posting from you since you started this. I hope you are doing great!

Lex♥
  • steff5163
    steff5163 Member Posts: 56
    THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I
    THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I STILL HAVE A WHILE BEFORE I START TOMOXIFEN . I AM ON , ZOLOFT AS WELL. I HAVE TONS OF ANXIETY FOR YRS. STARTED ON PAXIL WHICH WORKED GREAT BUT I GAINED SOME WEIGHT-I HAVE BEEN ON ZOLOFT FOR ABOUT 2 YRS. I NEVER KNEW THAT IT COULD INTERFER WITH THE TREATMENT. HOW ARE YOU DOING WITH THE SWITCH. GOOD LUCK !! AND NOW I KNOW I WILL HAVE TO SWITCH TOO.
    STEPHANIE