free phone for real

lolad
lolad Member Posts: 670
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Guys, i wanted to let you in on some info that i think is great. I dont want anyone to think im abusing the system or anything, but want to tell you all something. I was working right before i was diagnosed and have always worked hard. I lost my job two weeks before i found out about my bc, so its been rough for a few months. Havent found another job yet, waiting until i finish chemo. So ive had to get some help as in food stamps and medical card from the state. I heard about a program called safelink.com and decided to see if it was true. Its a government program that provides free cell phones with free minutes, voice mail, caller id to those who are recieving state assistance of any kind. I applied and i got my cell phone the other day. It was free. It works. Every month, depending on what state you live in they give you free time. I got 139 min. and if i dont use all of them they will roll over to the next month. I had a cell before, but had to cut that expense because im way beyond poor right now. Now i feel so much better having a cell when i go somewhere in case something happens to me. I did have a car catch on fire on me once for instance!!! I hope nobody is offended by my posting this info. I just think its awesome and i hope it doesnt get abused. If you use all your minutes before the end of the month, you can add your own.

laura

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Laura,
    Offended? How can we

Laura,

Offended? How can we be offended by someone with good news? Thank you for telling us about this~ it will no doubt help many of us during these scary economic times.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    chenheart said:

Laura,
    Offended? How can we

Laura,

Offended? How can we be offended by someone with good news? Thank you for telling us about this~ it will no doubt help many of us during these scary economic times.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen
    I knew that would be a stupid comment i made, by the way everyone you can do the whole sign up process on line at safelink.com. Im going to take a break now, my postings are starting to not make sense and they are getting corny. Tired i guess. Take care yall

laura
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I think it's fantastic you
    I think it's fantastic you found the program! (and passed it on for others who need it.)
    A thought to remember - any cell (well don't think the analog anymore) can be used to call 911 in an emergency even when not hooked to/with a server - every time Hubby and I get new phones we give the old one to the local women's shelter to be given out to those who need access to protection..