Options
2»

Comments

• m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Booberta said:

M
    Hope all goes well with you. I would definately talk to my doc about Zometa. Its often used for bone mets. Because I am on Femara because I am Very ER+ and also have some osteoporosis, my med onc started me on Zometa.

When reserching the med I found that is is most often used for bone mets. However, there is a second benfit. My understanding is that most recent studies show that Zometa also reduces the risk of recurrence of breast cancer.

My best wishes are with you.

Love and Peace
    Roberta

Thanks Roberta,
    for this encouraging information. I know the doctor is planning to start me on something to help offset the bone-weakening affects of the Femara. I will definately ask about Zometa, if that is not what he prescribes. If he advises against it, I know it will be for a good reason, which I would expect him to tell me why. So far, I am very impressed with my doctor. He is very thorough, seems to know what he's doing, and also seems to consider all aspects of my treatments. I will see him again on Wed, the 9th. This is another thing that impresses me...there never seems to be a long wait between appointments. He is very available to his patients. Thanks again, Gracie.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Cancer in the bones.
    My cancer has spread to my bones. When I was diagnosed that is how they actually found the cancer in my body, because my bones literally looked like a dog had chewed them all up! I was in very serious shape, barely walking and such. It has been over a year now and I have been doing so much better! My doctor has me on Zometa for my bones, I get this every 6 weeks. This is what they give to people with osteroperosis. You may want to talk to your doctor about this possibility. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep a positive attitude and you'll be fine!

Take Care and God Bless,
    Sherry

Sherry and Gracie, I am
    Sherry and Gracie, I am praying for both of you. Stay positive and let us know how you both do.

Leeza
  • Linda M
    Linda M Member Posts: 10
    Options
    My BC in my bones as well
    Hi--I have BC in my spine, at T10. I had it radiated once, and now it seems to be popping up again, but that's about 4 years apart. I've been on Zometa now for about 7 years, along with
    Herceptin, so I am a very fortunate person! Although we have this miserable disease, we also
    have it at a good time when much can be done to help us. There are good drugs out there and
    more coming along every day! Hang in there!
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    Hi, my breast cancer also
    Hi, my breast cancer also spread to my bone in my spine, T-10. I also get Zometa every 4 weeks. My last bone scan in February was clean. I never had any pain from it. I also was on Herceptin and Zometa at the same time. My oncologist said I will need to have the zometa treatment for 2-3 years or more. So far, I have not had any problems. I also have to have blood work done every 4 weeks and drink lots of water since the zometa may damage your kidneys. I was diagnosed last July with breast cancer, and the lesion was on my bone at that time. I hope this helps to ease your anxiety. Take care
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    meena1 said:

Hi, my breast cancer also spread to my bone in my spine, T-10. I also get Zometa every 4 weeks. My last bone scan in February was clean. I never had any pain from it. I also was on Herceptin and Zometa at the same time. My oncologist said I will need to have the zometa treatment for 2-3 years or more. So far, I have not had any problems. I also have to have blood work done every 4 weeks and drink lots of water since the zometa may damage your kidneys. I was diagnosed last July with breast cancer, and the lesion was on my bone at that time. I hope this helps to ease your anxiety. Take care

Seems like everything has
    Seems like everything has side effects.
  • LauraLL
    LauraLL Member Posts: 9
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Gracie
    Hi,I think your right about maybe crying about something other then what we think.cry dates don,t sound bad either,you have a great scence of humor.I guess I wasn,t real clear about my hair.My chemo starts Sept.22.The dr. said after the second treatment I will loemose my hair because of the kind of medicine she is using for the Chemo.So I have a few weeks yet.I am sorry I didn,t make myself clear.As much as i cryed this last week you would think it already happened.I am leaving for a cruise next sunday.Iv never been before.So my cancer dr. worked with me to wait a week longer for treatments.i am hoping by me being so upset already over my hair that it will be easier to deal with when it happens.My sister is trying to talk me in to having it cut real short and have spiked.I don,t know about that,like i am 52yrs. old.but I may that way i won,t have as much to fall out.It probly isn,t about the hair that is really the issue.its every time I see my bald head I will be reminded I have Cancer.God bless you.keep in touch please.Pat.

hair styles
    Gracie,

I don't know if I'll need chemo until after my surgery, but I worked with a very brave woman who spent the last 20 years battling cervical and breast cancer. She finally retired about 2-3 years ago and went on a cruise shortly after. She lost her battle this year, but what I wanted to share was that I always admired her good nature and positive attitude. She made the best of life every day and you wouldn't have ever guessed she was sick. As a matter of fact, right after she started chemo, she got a mohawk and died it pink. She was making a statement and refused to let anyone feel sorry for her.

I wish that she was around today for me to talk to. She was so proud of her new breasts after her mastectomy (bilateral) and reconstruction that she would go up to anyone of us (close to her) to see if we wanted to see her post-surgery. She always had a way of making everyone laugh.
    Hair will grow back - just think of the money you'll save on shampoo and haircuts for a while.
    I'll keep you in my prayers. I know it's a hard time. I'm just coming to terms that I have cancer myself.
    Good luck in your treatment and have a great time on your cruise.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    meena1 said:

Hi meena1 and welcome! So
    Hi meena1 and welcome! So sorry that your bc has spread to your bones. I wish all of you good luck and will keep you in my prayers!

Hugs
  • m_azingrace
    Options

Hi meena1 and welcome! So
    Hi meena1 and welcome! So sorry that your bc has spread to your bones. I wish all of you good luck and will keep you in my prayers!

Hugs

Update
    Thanks to everyone, for your responses, and for wishing me well.

This morning I met witn an orthopedic surgeon for his opinion if I need to have a pin inserted to strengthen my left arm. He said it looks like the arm might be okay, and my range of motion is good, and I have no pain, he is reluctant to operate. However, he did order an MRI to make sure there is not little cracks forming that didn't show on the x-rays. I'm getting that done this coming Saturday. He said he wants me to remain active, but not do anything to stress the arm. It's the "bad" arm anyway, that I need to protect from lymphedema, so now I have another reason to be careful.

[As an aside: This doctor told us that his father was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. He had noticed a hard lump and had it checked, and that's how it was discovered. He had surgery, and is getting set up for chemo.]

Tomorrow I see the oncologist again, to get the results of the skull MRI that was done last Friday. Hopefully, that will be good news, as I have no pain in my head either.

I'll keep you posted. Gracie.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options

Update
    Thanks to everyone, for your responses, and for wishing me well.

This morning I met witn an orthopedic surgeon for his opinion if I need to have a pin inserted to strengthen my left arm. He said it looks like the arm might be okay, and my range of motion is good, and I have no pain, he is reluctant to operate. However, he did order an MRI to make sure there is not little cracks forming that didn't show on the x-rays. I'm getting that done this coming Saturday. He said he wants me to remain active, but not do anything to stress the arm. It's the "bad" arm anyway, that I need to protect from lymphedema, so now I have another reason to be careful.

[As an aside: This doctor told us that his father was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. He had noticed a hard lump and had it checked, and that's how it was discovered. He had surgery, and is getting set up for chemo.]

Tomorrow I see the oncologist again, to get the results of the skull MRI that was done last Friday. Hopefully, that will be good news, as I have no pain in my head either.

I'll keep you posted. Gracie.

Gracie, good luck on your
    Gracie, good luck on your news tomorrow. I hope you receive good news.
    jan
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Gracie, good luck on your
    Gracie, good luck on your news tomorrow. I hope you receive good news.
    jan

Just want to
    wish all of you the best of luck! You are going thru so much and fighting so hard! Good luck tomorrow also Gracie! We will be waiting to hear the GOOD news!

Kristin ♥
  • m_azingrace
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Just want to
    wish all of you the best of luck! You are going thru so much and fighting so hard! Good luck tomorrow also Gracie! We will be waiting to hear the GOOD news!

Kristin ♥

Good News...
    The MRI of my skull shows no tumor in the brain. Everyone is very pleased with that!

Once we get the results of the MRI that I'm having on my shoulder, Dr wants me to get blood test for kidney function base line, so he can start me on something that will strengthen my bones against the affects of the Femara. In his words, "everything's a trade-off". We want to halt and reverse the progress of the cancer, and shrink the lesions. Femara is the best drug for that. But it does have its down side...mainly it weakens bones. Zometa, given intraveineously, is his first choice for that, but its down side is it can cause kidney trouble. I will be monitored regularly, so if there is any problem, it will be caught and he'll switch me to something else.

I may need to have radiation on the shoulder, but that's not certain yet. No pain anywhere is a good thing. He's pleased about that. One day at a time. I feel good, and he wants me to be active, within certain guidelines...nothing too strenuous, and no heavy lifting because of the lesions on my arm and spine [but hey...I have HubbyDearest for that anyway].

I'll continue to keep you all informed as things unfold. At this point I am very encouraged. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. Gracie
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options

Good News...
    The MRI of my skull shows no tumor in the brain. Everyone is very pleased with that!

Once we get the results of the MRI that I'm having on my shoulder, Dr wants me to get blood test for kidney function base line, so he can start me on something that will strengthen my bones against the affects of the Femara. In his words, "everything's a trade-off". We want to halt and reverse the progress of the cancer, and shrink the lesions. Femara is the best drug for that. But it does have its down side...mainly it weakens bones. Zometa, given intraveineously, is his first choice for that, but its down side is it can cause kidney trouble. I will be monitored regularly, so if there is any problem, it will be caught and he'll switch me to something else.

I may need to have radiation on the shoulder, but that's not certain yet. No pain anywhere is a good thing. He's pleased about that. One day at a time. I feel good, and he wants me to be active, within certain guidelines...nothing too strenuous, and no heavy lifting because of the lesions on my arm and spine [but hey...I have HubbyDearest for that anyway].

I'll continue to keep you all informed as things unfold. At this point I am very encouraged. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. Gracie

Hi Gracie, I have been
    Hi Gracie, I have been getting Zometa monthly for over a year now. I also get it intravenously. I go for lab work monthly to monitor my kidneys. So far, I have had no problems. Remember, if you are on zometa to drink plenty of water, especially after treatment. This helps to flush your kidneys and prevent damage. Take care
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    meena1 said:

Hi Gracie, I have been
    Hi Gracie, I have been getting Zometa monthly for over a year now. I also get it intravenously. I go for lab work monthly to monitor my kidneys. So far, I have had no problems. Remember, if you are on zometa to drink plenty of water, especially after treatment. This helps to flush your kidneys and prevent damage. Take care

Grace, Sherry and Meena
    You

Grace, Sherry and Meena
    You are all so strong! My thoughts are with you always.
  • lanie940
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Gracie
    Hi,I think your right about maybe crying about something other then what we think.cry dates don,t sound bad either,you have a great scence of humor.I guess I wasn,t real clear about my hair.My chemo starts Sept.22.The dr. said after the second treatment I will loemose my hair because of the kind of medicine she is using for the Chemo.So I have a few weeks yet.I am sorry I didn,t make myself clear.As much as i cryed this last week you would think it already happened.I am leaving for a cruise next sunday.Iv never been before.So my cancer dr. worked with me to wait a week longer for treatments.i am hoping by me being so upset already over my hair that it will be easier to deal with when it happens.My sister is trying to talk me in to having it cut real short and have spiked.I don,t know about that,like i am 52yrs. old.but I may that way i won,t have as much to fall out.It probly isn,t about the hair that is really the issue.its every time I see my bald head I will be reminded I have Cancer.God bless you.keep in touch please.Pat.

Well, I met a woman just
    Well, I met a woman just today in our local CVS pharmacy, she was a young woman, maybe in her late 20's early thirties. She was bald, but not from Cancer/chemo, but from alopecia. She told me her mom had cervical cancer and was doing well. She had it 3 years ago. she told me she was going to participate in another "Race for the Cure" for Breast cancer next month. We gave each other a hug.
  • lanie940
    Options
    Booberta said:

M
    Hope all goes well with you. I would definately talk to my doc about Zometa. Its often used for bone mets. Because I am on Femara because I am Very ER+ and also have some osteoporosis, my med onc started me on Zometa.

When reserching the med I found that is is most often used for bone mets. However, there is a second benfit. My understanding is that most recent studies show that Zometa also reduces the risk of recurrence of breast cancer.

My best wishes are with you.

Love and Peace
    Roberta

What do you mean by VERY
    What do you mean by VERY ER+? My path report says 95% positive.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Good News...

That is good news Gracie
    That is good news Gracie about the MRI showing no tumor in your brain. Congrats on that!

Lex♥
  • m_azingrace
    Options
    LauraLL said:

hair styles
    Gracie,

I don't know if I'll need chemo until after my surgery, but I worked with a very brave woman who spent the last 20 years battling cervical and breast cancer. She finally retired about 2-3 years ago and went on a cruise shortly after. She lost her battle this year, but what I wanted to share was that I always admired her good nature and positive attitude. She made the best of life every day and you wouldn't have ever guessed she was sick. As a matter of fact, right after she started chemo, she got a mohawk and died it pink. She was making a statement and refused to let anyone feel sorry for her.

I wish that she was around today for me to talk to. She was so proud of her new breasts after her mastectomy (bilateral) and reconstruction that she would go up to anyone of us (close to her) to see if we wanted to see her post-surgery. She always had a way of making everyone laugh.
    Hair will grow back - just think of the money you'll save on shampoo and haircuts for a while.
    I'll keep you in my prayers. I know it's a hard time. I'm just coming to terms that I have cancer myself.
    Good luck in your treatment and have a great time on your cruise.

LauralLL
    Actually, it's ppurdin (Pat) who is going on the cruise and starting chemo afterward. Thanks for the good wishes though. Gracie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

LauralLL
    Actually, it's ppurdin (Pat) who is going on the cruise and starting chemo afterward. Thanks for the good wishes though. Gracie

Maybe you could hitch a ride
    Maybe you could hitch a ride with Pat on that cruise Gracie? Always wishing you the best!

Lex♥
  • m_azingrace
    Options
    Alexis F said:

That is good news Gracie
    That is good news Gracie about the MRI showing no tumor in your brain. Congrats on that!

Lex♥

MRI of the skull...
    Yes, the new joke around our house is "they looked in her head, and there was nothing there". LOL
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options

MRI of the skull...
    Yes, the new joke around our house is "they looked in her head, and there was nothing there". LOL

Im happy
    your mri turned out good. you are still in my prayers

laura