LTD

Options
Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm wondering how many of you are on LTD and what cancer stage you are in? Are any of you in remission and still getting LTD?

The reason I am asking is that I ddn't opt for LTD because if I went in remission, that is when I went into remission :-), I didn't want to have to find a new job.

So guess, I am really wondering if LTD pays while on remission, I'm stage 4.

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    HI Nana,I get my disability
    HI Nana,

I get my disability through the California State Teacher's Retirement program. I'm basically getting my retirement now. I was told if I go back to work again, that I would need to put in another 3 full time years before I could qualify to receive either retirement disability again or just retirement in its regular form. The scary thing for me with that is that I'd be afraid of having a recurrence before the 3 yrs were up & then I'd get nothing. So, as stage 4, I don't think I will be risking that and will not attempt to go back to work, considering that I've already had two recurrences- I'd be too paranoid to go back. One interesting thing to note, though, that very well may be the case with your LTD also, is I'm actually allowed to earn up to a certain amount (my amount is close to $25,000 each year), and still receive the full disability amount. This would allow me to work part time doing anything or even substitute teach a coule of days a week if I wanted to. So, if this is also the case with LTD, then you may be able to work part time and still keep the disability- check into it.

I know my form of disability is different than what you're getting, so I don't have an answer for you, but I imagine that there could be a similar requirement with LTD.
    When I thought I was in remission a while back, it had been a year since I started on the disability and so they sent me a form for the doctor to fill out to see if I still qualified or not. Nervous with their requirement if I tried to go back to work, my doctor basically filled out the form and added his own letter telling them that I basically would be disabled for life- even without a recurrence- due to the neuropathy, chemobrain issues, etc. that would interfere with my work as a teacher. Before writing the letter, my oncologist told me, "Don't worry- I'm making this sound worse than it is for the sake of getting you to qualify for continued long term disability".

Take care Nana-

Lisa