Death of a friendship.

guitarmom2
guitarmom2 Member Posts: 39
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Over this summer I have been surprised by people's reaction to my having breast cancer. Most have done a lot to support me. I felt overall that I am loved and valued by many people and that helped me more then I can say. Unfortunately, I just ended a friendship of 45 years (we knew each other from the diaper years). She lives 40 minutes away, doesn't work and her children were in camp. She did the phone calls where she asked how I was, and said "what can I do?" but never actually spoke to me or did anything. This woman has disappointed me many times over the years (being rude to my husband on several occasions, blowing me off for other "more important" friends etc.)In short, being friends with her has not been enjoyable for many years. We have a mutual friend in another state who told me that it was about time I ended this painful relationship. My family (who have followed the drama for the past 45 years) agree that she is not a good friend to me. It took having cancer to make me face up to many truths in my life. I am still amazed at how far reaching this disease is. I am sad to acknowledge how long I perpetuated a lie in thinking this person cared about me. I told her this and also told her "goodbye".

Has anyone else had other changes in their lives as a fallout of your cancer?

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Hi guitarmom, you will find
    Hi guitarmom, you will find so many surprises going down this road. You may get help from the unexpected and get slighted from the expected. I always said that a catastrophe shows you who your friends really are. Take joy in those that have offered to help and are there when you need them. Don't dwell on the what ifs or has beens because life is too short. And most importantly..... take one step at a time. You have us here to offer you support also. Hugs, Lili
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    In my case, when I was
    In my case, when I was diagnosed, I did a kind of mental housecleaning, deciding who to tell and who should not be told. I took serious inventory of the people in our lives.

I have two [former] friends whom I purposely distanced myself from, long before my diagnosis. These two gals have disappointed me in the past, and have proven they cannot be trusted with personal information. I purposely have not told them about my cancer. They can find out "through the grapevine", which is where they get all their other information about people. I have seen first hand that their "concern" will be in making my cancer grist for the gossip mill.

I know them well enough to say that they would give lip service to "being there for me", but actually would always be too busy to really be bothered. When my husband was seriously ill a few years ago, they offered no comfort, support or assistance. I want to be surrounded only by positive people who truly care, who will not in some way try to make this be about them. My health has always been a private matter to me, so hubby and I have released the information on a "need to know basis".

Sickness brings out either the best or the worst in people. And perhaps shutting some people out reveals a flaw of mine. However, because I know their past performance, I have chosen to insulate myself instead of becoming vulnerable again to their insincerities. At this time, we have enough to deal with already. Gracie
  • guitarmom2

In my case, when I was
    In my case, when I was diagnosed, I did a kind of mental housecleaning, deciding who to tell and who should not be told. I took serious inventory of the people in our lives.

I have two [former] friends whom I purposely distanced myself from, long before my diagnosis. These two gals have disappointed me in the past, and have proven they cannot be trusted with personal information. I purposely have not told them about my cancer. They can find out "through the grapevine", which is where they get all their other information about people. I have seen first hand that their "concern" will be in making my cancer grist for the gossip mill.

I know them well enough to say that they would give lip service to "being there for me", but actually would always be too busy to really be bothered. When my husband was seriously ill a few years ago, they offered no comfort, support or assistance. I want to be surrounded only by positive people who truly care, who will not in some way try to make this be about them. My health has always been a private matter to me, so hubby and I have released the information on a "need to know basis".

Sickness brings out either the best or the worst in people. And perhaps shutting some people out reveals a flaw of mine. However, because I know their past performance, I have chosen to insulate myself instead of becoming vulnerable again to their insincerities. At this time, we have enough to deal with already. Gracie

Lili and Gracie...
    Thank you for your support. I feel like the Earth shifted under me and I am trying to regain my footing. I agree, you do get support in unexpected places. Gracie - unlike you I "went public" with my story. I felt it was too stressful to wonder "who knows?" and to field those smiling faces at work who ask "How is your summer? Any plans?" For me it worked out well for the most part. I sent out an e-mail telling my friends and co-workers that I had breast cancer and included a link to our team page for the Komen Race fot the Cure. Two people at work who I thought didn't care for me much actually reached out in a big way. We raised $2000 for the race so far (we're doing one on Oct 4th so we should raise more).
    So much has changed. Sometimes I still feel really sad about some of the things that have happened.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I think, after reading your
    I think, after reading your post, that you are not truly surprised that this friendship has died. I imagine, when you re-read it, and contemplate your history with her, coupled with the obvious which your family has long noted, that she was not the definition of a Friend. And, had you witnessed a family member of yours being so ill-treated over the years, you would have reached the same conclusion. Sometimes we just need to step back and look at things from a different perspective. Your perspective (sigh!) is cancer.

Cancer did not end your friendship! At most, fighting for your life has given YOU the courage to do things you probably never thought you would be doing. And foremost on that? Surrounding yourself with as many HEALTHY things as possible! Be it medicine, or soft sheets, good books, and especially nurturing, loving people, you are letting go of those things/people which will not contribute to your well being. I hate thinking that it took cancer to make this happen. I do know this: Had your erstwhile friend gotten cancer and not you, YOU would have been the friend to her that she is not being to you. It is your personality and heart coming to the fore...not a disease!

I also know that you might mourn the loss of something that has lasted so long, even if it was not the best relationship. But you will move ahead, and concentrate on the business of living life with those who truly value you!

I am known for repeating, ad nauseum, quotes which I love! And one that applies to you comes to mind: "We do what we have to do, so that we can do what we want to do". I know you can figure out why I said that!

Be well, you have made friends with more people, sight unseen, than you can ever imagine!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Friendship is....
    We usually have a pretty clear idea of what we want from any given friendship. For instance, we may consider the door man of our building a good friend because he greets us warmly and knows our kids names and even goes out of his way to help us with packages or such. Actually he is just doing his job, but with a personal touch that blesses us. We would not, however, even consider asking him for a loan to make our late car payment, for instance.
    On the other hand, we may have someone we consider a true friend whom we have known for years and have come to trust and rely on for just about anything. But when the car payment comes due and we ask this person for assistance, they may stumble and stutter and come up with some excuse why they just can't see us through right now. What a disappointment!
    Actually, every relationship has limits and boundaries. Even someone who has stood by us through divorce, for instance, may say when confronted with our cancer....'sorry, I just can't go there with you.' Their response is not necessarily based on their 'weakness' as a friend, but rather on some personal issue they have which may not even be understood by themselves, much less by others around them.
    Basically, you need people who can help see you through this crisis. The ones who can't may need to be put on 'hold' until you regain whatever strength you need to once again include them in your life. It really boils down to who is a liability and who is an asset in the battle you are engaged in. A permanent good-by may not be necessary. Especially if you have an emotional investment in this person. But it's your call. This is just my thoughts on the subject.
    God bless.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I think some people were
    I think some people were never meant to be in our lives our whole life anyway. Sometimes you just have to let go and go forward. We did change our life because of the cancer. We wanted to spend more time with our kids and ended up moving back where they lived.
  • guitarmom2
    Marcia527 said:

I think some people were
    I think some people were never meant to be in our lives our whole life anyway. Sometimes you just have to let go and go forward. We did change our life because of the cancer. We wanted to spend more time with our kids and ended up moving back where they lived.

So much wisdom! I do feel...
    like I have found a place of love, understanding and support here. Thank you all. I am glad, Marcia that you are near your kids. I'm sure you are happpier sharing your life with them and being a more present part of their's. I have been after my parents to move back near us for years. I do fear that they will wait too long and we will have to "bring them" when they are unable to care for themselves.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Guitarmom
    It's funny how I have had friendships come and go through the years. I figure that they weren't true friends to begin with. My best friend is my husband!! We have been married 38 years. It's the people who I never thought were real good friends have been here for me the most. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs, Diane
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    It Is What It Is
    I am sorry about your friend. I think the ladies have covered just about everything. It is unfortunate but I believe you really do find out who your friends are when there is some life altering event in your lives. In my case, I have encountered those who claim to care about me but only seek attention for themselves. You know, look at me, see what I am doing for the cancer ridden co-worker. My brother has let me down. It is not his fault entirely. His wife does not like the attention he gives me when he is caring for me after chemo. I disrupt her weekends, put her out, and take time away from her and my brother. She claims that she is concerned that I will pass on some of the viruses and fungus I have contracted from the chemo meds onto to her. Of course she is full of s--t, but my brother loves her and does whatever she wishes. I told my brother exactly how I felt about it and told him she was being rediculous, but out of love for my brother, I removed myselft from that situation so he would not have to deal with it. What goes around;comes around. But then I have some co-workers who walked for me and raised money for the Race for the Cure. They also donated some of their vacation days should I need them after chemo. So, I basically chuck the ones who hurt me, who are not helpful, and who do not make me feel good. And, I cling to those who truly support me. You got to do what is right for you and what is going to aid in your recovery.

Pat
  • peggy65
    peggy65 Member Posts: 100
    people come and go during
    people come and go during our lifetimes and it is hard to reconcile some of these situations. you followed your gut and got sick of her acting the way that she was toward you. good for you! i have had similar experiences and find it difficult to get to a place where i don't feel bad about it. keep your positive good sense on the front burner. blessings, peggy
  • LT
    LT Member Posts: 31
    peggy65 said:

people come and go during our lifetimes and it is hard to reconcile some of these situations. you followed your gut and got sick of her acting the way that she was toward you. good for you! i have had similar experiences and find it difficult to get to a place where i don't feel bad about it. keep your positive good sense on the front burner. blessings, peggy

I haven't really had much
    I haven't really had much of this type experience since I'm still working every day and no date for surgery, chemo, etc. yet. But this thread has set me to wondering about my own actions or lack of in the lives of my friends. I'm sorry to admit that looking back I see some less than shining moments. Times I bought a card, but got too busy and forgot about sending it, times I thought about calling, but got too busy......... I've never had a friend with anything as serious as cancer, but I'm afraid there were times I neglected those who were hurting and could have used my shoulder to cry on.
    One thing I'm learning about this whole cancer journey - it's a discovery every day about who I am and who I want to be when I grow up. (Also, I will never again underestimate the power of a card or note from a friend. Aren't they wonderful? Phone calls are nice, but it can be so tiring and time-consuming to answer the same questions over and over. Besides, when I'm feeling low in the middle of the night I can reread those cards and be comforted all over again.)
    I'm praying for a good Monday for all of you. Gotta go, gotta get this card on the couch ready for the morning mail!! Hugs to everyone, LT
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    LT said:

I haven't really had much of this type experience since I'm still working every day and no date for surgery, chemo, etc. yet. But this thread has set me to wondering about my own actions or lack of in the lives of my friends. I'm sorry to admit that looking back I see some less than shining moments. Times I bought a card, but got too busy and forgot about sending it, times I thought about calling, but got too busy......... I've never had a friend with anything as serious as cancer, but I'm afraid there were times I neglected those who were hurting and could have used my shoulder to cry on.
    One thing I'm learning about this whole cancer journey - it's a discovery every day about who I am and who I want to be when I grow up. (Also, I will never again underestimate the power of a card or note from a friend. Aren't they wonderful? Phone calls are nice, but it can be so tiring and time-consuming to answer the same questions over and over. Besides, when I'm feeling low in the middle of the night I can reread those cards and be comforted all over again.)
    I'm praying for a good Monday for all of you. Gotta go, gotta get this card on the couch ready for the morning mail!! Hugs to everyone, LT

I love you, LT! You didn't
    I love you, LT! You didn't make any excuses, but you saw things from the "other side" of the equasion, and you are taking action! Bravo to you! I am so impressed by that, and I think it is so telling as to the type of person you are!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    chenheart said:

I love you, LT! You didn't
    I love you, LT! You didn't make any excuses, but you saw things from the "other side" of the equasion, and you are taking action! Bravo to you! I am so impressed by that, and I think it is so telling as to the type of person you are!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Because of Cancer
    I have learned to stop being so accomodating to people. I have had friends that, once they saw I was on my feet it became nothing more than lip service. I have left messages on answering machines, sent emails on my progress and my happy news. Last time I only got one reply back via email. Do I need new friends, did I do something wrong to cause this? I have stopped questioning and blaming myself. I have learned to just back away.I keep moving forward. i keep putting myself out there. But it seems the friends I have had are always too busy for this or that. They say...keep in touch. Well, I do, but they don't. I get tired of somone calling me three months later saying they think of me often, but they are busy. I have learned to walk away, even if my heart still cares for these friends. I have always been the first person to help, to reach out if anyone needs anything. And so many of the people I chose to call my friends have disappointed me. Cancer taught me that I was a survivor, and I deserved a lot more. So I have learned that the ones who matter will make an effort, the ones who don't, for one reason or another, are not really friends anymore. It's just sad sometimes. Cindy
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    LT said:

You said it LT
    I'm with you in checking my own behaviour. Pammy
  • guitarmom2
    Akiss4me said:

You said it LT
    I'm with you in checking my own behaviour. Pammy

LT
    Over the past few years a couple of experiences have taught me how much it means to reach out to people. The death of my father-in -aw and my husband's grandmother (who was like a second mother to him) made me think, like you, that I had missed so many opportunities over the years. One of my best friends said the same thing to me recently. I think we need to learn and move on. Maybe we didn't always act in the most supportive way, but now we GET IT! We can be those thoughtful people who others are gaining strength from. I have been so inspired by the friends and family who really stepped forward for me this summer. I will try my hardest to remember how important the big and small gestures of support were. I was always a talker and not the best listener, but I am learning how to listen, which may be the best type of support you can offer. I'm sure you will too. What a great world we would live in if everyone kept learning and growing.
  • guitarmom2
    Cindy54 said:

Because of Cancer
    I have learned to stop being so accomodating to people. I have had friends that, once they saw I was on my feet it became nothing more than lip service. I have left messages on answering machines, sent emails on my progress and my happy news. Last time I only got one reply back via email. Do I need new friends, did I do something wrong to cause this? I have stopped questioning and blaming myself. I have learned to just back away.I keep moving forward. i keep putting myself out there. But it seems the friends I have had are always too busy for this or that. They say...keep in touch. Well, I do, but they don't. I get tired of somone calling me three months later saying they think of me often, but they are busy. I have learned to walk away, even if my heart still cares for these friends. I have always been the first person to help, to reach out if anyone needs anything. And so many of the people I chose to call my friends have disappointed me. Cancer taught me that I was a survivor, and I deserved a lot more. So I have learned that the ones who matter will make an effort, the ones who don't, for one reason or another, are not really friends anymore. It's just sad sometimes. Cindy

Cindy...
    I agree with you about feeling sad about losing a firend, but others were right in saying that a real friend wouldn't hurt you. My standards for who I call a friend and how I think of myself as a friend have been adjusted. Hopefully we will be better people and friends for these experiences.
  • guitarmom2
    aztec45 said:

It Is What It Is
    I am sorry about your friend. I think the ladies have covered just about everything. It is unfortunate but I believe you really do find out who your friends are when there is some life altering event in your lives. In my case, I have encountered those who claim to care about me but only seek attention for themselves. You know, look at me, see what I am doing for the cancer ridden co-worker. My brother has let me down. It is not his fault entirely. His wife does not like the attention he gives me when he is caring for me after chemo. I disrupt her weekends, put her out, and take time away from her and my brother. She claims that she is concerned that I will pass on some of the viruses and fungus I have contracted from the chemo meds onto to her. Of course she is full of s--t, but my brother loves her and does whatever she wishes. I told my brother exactly how I felt about it and told him she was being rediculous, but out of love for my brother, I removed myselft from that situation so he would not have to deal with it. What goes around;comes around. But then I have some co-workers who walked for me and raised money for the Race for the Cure. They also donated some of their vacation days should I need them after chemo. So, I basically chuck the ones who hurt me, who are not helpful, and who do not make me feel good. And, I cling to those who truly support me. You got to do what is right for you and what is going to aid in your recovery.

Pat

Pat...
    It sounds like you work with some incredible people.
  • guitarmom2
    chickad52 said:

Guitarmom
    It's funny how I have had friendships come and go through the years. I figure that they weren't true friends to begin with. My best friend is my husband!! We have been married 38 years. It's the people who I never thought were real good friends have been here for me the most. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs, Diane

Diane...
    My husband of 16 years is my best friend also. We are constantly asking ourselves how we got so lucky. We only knew each other for four and a half months when we got engaged. Just knew I guess.
  • guitarmom2
    peggy65 said:

Peggy...
    It took me so many years, but I guess better late then never. Thanks for your good wishes!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Losing friends....
    Been down this road myself, since my "journey" began in April... Many people have surprised me with their help and care and others have been a HUGE disappointment.....My sister in law, whom I love like a sister and is a 20 bc survivor told me at the very beginning of this, "You will find out who your true friends are...." She was right on! One of these "friends" of 20+ years and lives 5 houses down, has called me exactly TWICE! And that was in the very beginning, she wanted the "gory" details about my biopsy and then my surgery......She passes my house on average 4 times a day....never once has she called to see if I so much as need something from the grocery.......If I sound bitter, I am...... She says "call me if you need anything." Yeah right I'm going to call and beg for help......get real! She and her husband have had illnesses and the husband has had 3 MAJOR surgeries in the past 3 years.......Guess who was there with them every step of the way? My husband and me! And I would do it all over again. I am by nature a real care giver, worked in the medical field for years. But this is a bitter pill to swallow.......Another "friend" at the beginning, said to me, "I'm not good with these kind of things." Not so much as a phone call since, 5 months now...I swear I want to ask them if they think cancer is contagious! But I have made tough decisions, I am cutting toxic people out of my life......I don't need this...they may have their reasons for staying away, but I have found I don't need or want them in my life any more. I have a wonderful supportive husband, grown supportive kids, 4 grands, fantastic extended family and TRUE friends......I don't need people who really don't care....Okay, I have vented........feel better!
    prayers and best wishes to all
    Nancy