New to this board...

Options
GetBusyLivin
GetBusyLivin Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
...but 5 months into this journey.

My husband was diagnosed in March with stage IV colon cancer, at the age of 45. He had a colon resect to remove a large tumor. We were told he is not a candidate for liver resect because of multiple tumors throughout his liver. Several lymph nodes are also involved. But I am encouraged to read so many of your stories here. His last PET showed good progress and we are trying to remain optimistic.

I'm so glad to have found this board and this community. I look forward to sharing stories and getting advice. I'm interested in diet and nutrition and have been doing a little juicing. Our doctor is of the mind that nutrition is good for cancer prevention, but doesn't have anything to do with treatment. So, I'm confused and a little conflicted. During chemo, I want him to eat whatever sounds good to him so that he doesn't lose too much weight.

Before the rug was pulled out from under us, my husband was a healthy, athletic man. We have two teenage daughters and love to travel. We're going to try and continue that hobby as long as he's feeling up to it!

Hoping to get to know you all better,

-AJ

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi AJ:

Welcome, unfortunately, to this board. Your post caught my attention. Your husband's case sounds almost like mine. I too have stage IV colon cancer. I was 46 at the time of diagnosis -I'm 49 now. Like him, I am not a candidate for liver resection because the tumors are very diffuse throughout both lobes. I've had lots of chemotherapy and have had chemoembolization twice. Now, we're looking at doing a trial somewhere. Nutrition is important in all stages of disease, (at least in my opinion), not just playing a role in prevention. There are some cookbooks out there specifically for people on chemotherapy. My doctor's office gave me one when I first was diagnosed. His tastes may change - I noticed that - sometimes I would think I wanted a particular food to eat and then it didn't taste the way I thought it was going to -it was a disappointment. It does happen sometimes. From my experience and in talking with other people who are on or were on treatment, it seems most docs say let the patient eat whatever they feel like eating. There are supplements too like Boost and Ensure or you can make smoothies in a blender. You mentioned about being encouraged - that's good. I still have hope - I don't think I would still be here if I didn't have hope. I'm still working full-time - that gives me some direction and sense of purpose, plus I'm involved in volunteer work. I think trying to keep one's life as normal as possible helps reduce the stress of illness. You two will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted. Take care. Roy
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Welcome AJ
    I get such support and information at this board.
    I too was DX's at 46, this past March 2009- Stage IV with mets to liver. No cancer in my family. 2 of the masses were very large. I was also told I was not resectable, but per last CAT scan, the surgeon now thinks I am. Probably not for all lobes, but at least part. I also hope that RFA and chemoablation will be part of my treatment.
    Since I responded so well to chemo, that's what made surgeon take a 2nd look at my scans. MY CEA marker went from 1400 in March to 5.5 a few weeks ago.

So, even if NOW the tumors are to many to resect, hopefully chemo will do it's job of shrinking, then new options for surery.

Blessings

Peggy
  • GetBusyLivin
    Options
    pluckey said:

Welcome AJ
    I get such support and information at this board.
    I too was DX's at 46, this past March 2009- Stage IV with mets to liver. No cancer in my family. 2 of the masses were very large. I was also told I was not resectable, but per last CAT scan, the surgeon now thinks I am. Probably not for all lobes, but at least part. I also hope that RFA and chemoablation will be part of my treatment.
    Since I responded so well to chemo, that's what made surgeon take a 2nd look at my scans. MY CEA marker went from 1400 in March to 5.5 a few weeks ago.

So, even if NOW the tumors are to many to resect, hopefully chemo will do it's job of shrinking, then new options for surery.

Blessings

Peggy

Thank you, everyone, for the
    Thank you, everyone, for the welcome. Peggy, it's amazing that you and my husband are the same age (he turned 46 in April) and were diagnosed at the same time. It's great to hear that your now have surgery options. We'll know something mid October, with his next scan results.

-AJ
  • GetBusyLivin
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thank you, Kathy, for your
    Thank you, Kathy, for your advice about the juicing and for sharing your good progress. I'm really amazed at how many people were told they were inoperable at first, but are now going ahead with surgery. It's very encouraging :)

-AJ
  • GetBusyLivin
    Options
    shrevebud said:

Hi AJ:

Welcome, unfortunately, to this board. Your post caught my attention. Your husband's case sounds almost like mine. I too have stage IV colon cancer. I was 46 at the time of diagnosis -I'm 49 now. Like him, I am not a candidate for liver resection because the tumors are very diffuse throughout both lobes. I've had lots of chemotherapy and have had chemoembolization twice. Now, we're looking at doing a trial somewhere. Nutrition is important in all stages of disease, (at least in my opinion), not just playing a role in prevention. There are some cookbooks out there specifically for people on chemotherapy. My doctor's office gave me one when I first was diagnosed. His tastes may change - I noticed that - sometimes I would think I wanted a particular food to eat and then it didn't taste the way I thought it was going to -it was a disappointment. It does happen sometimes. From my experience and in talking with other people who are on or were on treatment, it seems most docs say let the patient eat whatever they feel like eating. There are supplements too like Boost and Ensure or you can make smoothies in a blender. You mentioned about being encouraged - that's good. I still have hope - I don't think I would still be here if I didn't have hope. I'm still working full-time - that gives me some direction and sense of purpose, plus I'm involved in volunteer work. I think trying to keep one's life as normal as possible helps reduce the stress of illness. You two will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted. Take care. Roy

Hi Roy
    Very nice to meet you and hear your similar story. It's amazing that you're still able to work full time! We're trying real hard to keep life normal too, especially for the sake of our girls. Thanks for the advice and the thoughts and prayers.

-AJ
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options

Thank you, everyone, for the
    Thank you, everyone, for the welcome. Peggy, it's amazing that you and my husband are the same age (he turned 46 in April) and were diagnosed at the same time. It's great to hear that your now have surgery options. We'll know something mid October, with his next scan results.

-AJ

Welcome!!
    Hi AJ! I just wanted to welcome you to the board, and say nice to meet you! Your hubby is around my age. I was also diagnosed this year in January, with Stage 4 CC, a month before my 44th bday! I even asked for a colonoscopy to be done a few years ago, but my gyno told me I had to be 50 to get it done, so here I am, had no symptoms at all, and I was at an advanced stage. I hope he does well though, I eat usually whatever I want, with all the surgeries I been through, I lost alot of weight as well, but once I heal, I try and pack it back on, since my doctor told me now to gain weight, so the chemo doesn't make me feel too run down.

You and your hubby will be in my prayers, and I wish you all the best! Hope to see you post more!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • GetBusyLivin
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Welcome!!
    Hi AJ! I just wanted to welcome you to the board, and say nice to meet you! Your hubby is around my age. I was also diagnosed this year in January, with Stage 4 CC, a month before my 44th bday! I even asked for a colonoscopy to be done a few years ago, but my gyno told me I had to be 50 to get it done, so here I am, had no symptoms at all, and I was at an advanced stage. I hope he does well though, I eat usually whatever I want, with all the surgeries I been through, I lost alot of weight as well, but once I heal, I try and pack it back on, since my doctor told me now to gain weight, so the chemo doesn't make me feel too run down.

You and your hubby will be in my prayers, and I wish you all the best! Hope to see you post more!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Hi Donna!
    It's so nice to meet you! Thank you for making me feel welcome. I look forward to more posting!

-AJ
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Options
    Hi
    Hi AJ
    I'm fairly new to the board also. I've found it to be a wonderful place of caring and information. My cancer was diagnosed Oct 2007, Stage IIIc 8/38 lymph nodes positive. Had resection and chemo 2007 and 2008. Having a CT and labs for Sept 14th appt. I didn't find this wonderful forum until a few months ago. Wish I had known about it earlier - its so encouraging and informative. Welcome.

God Bless You

Debbie (gramma - there is another Debbie here so I added gramma)
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Good
    website for diet and nutrition: www.cancerproject.org