Husband's new treatment/ anyone tried these drugs?????

Options
kathybd
kathybd Member Posts: 126
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone done the Avastin with Arantica(?SP) also known as CPT-11? He has stage 4 with metastis to lung and new tumors in the liver. Initially didn't want further treatment; now has agreed to this. Anyone tried these?

Comments

• shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Drugs
    Hi:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have had Avastin several times, not heard of the other medicine. I never had any problems (side-effects wise) with Avastin. That's all I can offer. Best of luck to the two of you. Roy
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    shrevebud said:

Drugs
    Hi:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have had Avastin several times, not heard of the other medicine. I never had any problems (side-effects wise) with Avastin. That's all I can offer. Best of luck to the two of you. Roy

I...
    ...am on Folfiri with Avastin, but never heard of that other drug? is it new? Avastin works well, in that it strangles the blood vessels which starves the cancer, and I've never had any problems with the Avastin itself, I've had setbacks with my treatment, but not due to the avastin. I hope you find better answers then what I could offer you, hope all goes well!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • standbyme
    standbyme Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Irinotecan
    Cpt-11 is irinotecan...irinotecan plus 5fu is called folfiri. My husband has rectal cancer with lung mets. He has been on folfiri with avastin for 11 months. He has had 23 treatments and the only side effect has been tiredness and chemo brain. He has had about a 40% reduction in nodules. Good luck.

Judy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    standbyme said:

Irinotecan
    Cpt-11 is irinotecan...irinotecan plus 5fu is called folfiri. My husband has rectal cancer with lung mets. He has been on folfiri with avastin for 11 months. He has had 23 treatments and the only side effect has been tiredness and chemo brain. He has had about a 40% reduction in nodules. Good luck.

Judy

Wow! What a board!
    I have no help on either....well, the 5FU I had, but not the others...and Oxy...that was almost 5 years ago...

Thanks, Judy, for the info!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Donna, didn't the Avastin cause your
    Donna, didn't the Avastin cause your colon to rupture/ burst? I think you said that's a known side effect, tho rare, of Avastin. Am I mixing up meds?

Diane
  • Shayenne
    Options

Donna, didn't the Avastin cause your
    Donna, didn't the Avastin cause your colon to rupture/ burst? I think you said that's a known side effect, tho rare, of Avastin. Am I mixing up meds?

Diane

Well...
    ... When I was first diagnosed, I was "bleeding from somewhere, losing blood somewhere" as the doctor said. She wouldn't blame the Avastin, because if it were to make a colon rupture, it would have done so early on, and I was on like my 5th treatment when that happened, and she said it was good to stay on because of my liver mets, and that the bleeding that was happening may have been what happened in the colon rupture, it was going to rupture anyway, but starting on my 9th treatment next week, everythings been going good with it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Well...
    ... When I was first diagnosed, I was "bleeding from somewhere, losing blood somewhere" as the doctor said. She wouldn't blame the Avastin, because if it were to make a colon rupture, it would have done so early on, and I was on like my 5th treatment when that happened, and she said it was good to stay on because of my liver mets, and that the bleeding that was happening may have been what happened in the colon rupture, it was going to rupture anyway, but starting on my 9th treatment next week, everythings been going good with it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Avastin side effects
    I was at a lecture last night with Gastro Oncologist- he noted that Avastin can cause blod clots and bleeding
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Avastin and CPT11
    I think I did both together about 5+ years ago. I know that I have done both. At first I was on FOLFOX with Avastin. I had no problems with the Avastin at all. It actually was instrumental in reducing the size of my liver mets so I was able to have surgery. One tumor was right on top of the hepatic artery so they cold not operate, after the chemo I was able to have surgery. After surgery I was on FUDR and CPT11 for a while (6 months?) then I have been on CPT11 with Erbitux for 3 years or so. Only until recently, over the past 9 months or so did I stop the CPT11. I had a lot of trouble with stomach cramping and constipation from it but I figured out what I had to do to control it and it was tolerable.

I'm glad he's agreed to the treatment, it can make a big difference.
    I hope this is helpful
    -phil
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    done it and doing it again
    Hi,

I believe the Arantica (or however) was how you understood the doctor's pronunciation of irinotecan (pronounced eye-rin-oh-tee-can). It is also called CPT-11 or Camptosar.
    I took it before with a different combo & I am now taking it as part of the "Folfiri" treatment, which consists of the irinotecan, leucovorin, and the 5FU pump.
    It seems to be very effective in many people. The side effects from it are nausea, diarhea, and fatigue. I have also noticed I feel extremely thirsty all the time since I've been on it, too- my skin seems saggier from it on my neck and even on my arms (much to my dismay to discover). Anyhow, the diarhea is the biggest issue with this- your husband will need meds prescribed from the doctor to deal with it, which work most of the time. Finding a balance between diarhea, then taking the meds and getting constipated is something I'm working on right now. Oh, hair loss can also be caused by irinotecan- usually just thinning and not total loss. Some people do lose it all and some people lose absolutely none- everyone is different in this reaction. When I took it a while back, my hair started thinning for about a month, but then it was like my hair became used to it or something and it stopped falling out & all grew back. So far, I've just had two treatments of it this time around, but my hair has not started to fall out this time. We'll see how it does after a couple more treatments.

Best wishes to you and your husband-
    Lisa
  • kathybd
    Options
    lisa42 said:

done it and doing it again
    Hi,

I believe the Arantica (or however) was how you understood the doctor's pronunciation of irinotecan (pronounced eye-rin-oh-tee-can). It is also called CPT-11 or Camptosar.
    I took it before with a different combo & I am now taking it as part of the "Folfiri" treatment, which consists of the irinotecan, leucovorin, and the 5FU pump.
    It seems to be very effective in many people. The side effects from it are nausea, diarhea, and fatigue. I have also noticed I feel extremely thirsty all the time since I've been on it, too- my skin seems saggier from it on my neck and even on my arms (much to my dismay to discover). Anyhow, the diarhea is the biggest issue with this- your husband will need meds prescribed from the doctor to deal with it, which work most of the time. Finding a balance between diarhea, then taking the meds and getting constipated is something I'm working on right now. Oh, hair loss can also be caused by irinotecan- usually just thinning and not total loss. Some people do lose it all and some people lose absolutely none- everyone is different in this reaction. When I took it a while back, my hair started thinning for about a month, but then it was like my hair became used to it or something and it stopped falling out & all grew back. So far, I've just had two treatments of it this time around, but my hair has not started to fall out this time. We'll see how it does after a couple more treatments.

Best wishes to you and your husband-
    Lisa

Thank you, ALL!
    I appreciate all the info you have given me. This is such a great board. He is still having second thoughts, but hope he goes through with it. The oxaliplatin gave him such horrible side effects, he hadn't wanted to do anything further. And I am having chemo for endometrial cancer. I guess life lessons are to be learned fro all this???
    Thanks again everyone, and best of health!
    Kathy
  • kathybd said:

Thank you, ALL!
    I appreciate all the info you have given me. This is such a great board. He is still having second thoughts, but hope he goes through with it. The oxaliplatin gave him such horrible side effects, he hadn't wanted to do anything further. And I am having chemo for endometrial cancer. I guess life lessons are to be learned fro all this???
    Thanks again everyone, and best of health!
    Kathy

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • kathybd
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks, for your response, Kathy
    I was diagnosed after slight spotting for 3 days early July. NO history of any cancer in my large extended family. Have a great Ob/Gyn that delivered my kids 25 yrs ago, that said something told her to keep trying to find the source. Initially they thought it was Stage 1, but after the total hysterectomy, by the DaVinci robot; they found cells in the uterine wash. Don't know if it was contaminated from the earlier wash during the D&C. So, I am now bumped up to Stage 3A, Grade 2-3. Chemo, Taxol and carboplatin every 3rd week as a precaution. 6 rounds, but he will be happy if I can do 4. Either internal radiation or Megace, the hormone pill after. I have dealt well so far, as I see how bravely my husband has dealt with the last year and a half. Definitely down days, as my boss, a Doc is not very supportive and I have to work for insurance and bills. My husband also got laid off 3 weeks ago. Enough of the blues...I do just try to take each day and make the best of it. Have been reading and listening to alot of cds; doing alot of research on our cancers. This board is absolutely fantastic. Such knowledgeable, kind, caring and funny people. I am also on the uterine discussion group.
    Thank you for your concern and info. Best to you on your endeavor.
    Kathy, too!
  • Shayenne
    Options
    kathybd said:

Thanks, for your response, Kathy
    I was diagnosed after slight spotting for 3 days early July. NO history of any cancer in my large extended family. Have a great Ob/Gyn that delivered my kids 25 yrs ago, that said something told her to keep trying to find the source. Initially they thought it was Stage 1, but after the total hysterectomy, by the DaVinci robot; they found cells in the uterine wash. Don't know if it was contaminated from the earlier wash during the D&C. So, I am now bumped up to Stage 3A, Grade 2-3. Chemo, Taxol and carboplatin every 3rd week as a precaution. 6 rounds, but he will be happy if I can do 4. Either internal radiation or Megace, the hormone pill after. I have dealt well so far, as I see how bravely my husband has dealt with the last year and a half. Definitely down days, as my boss, a Doc is not very supportive and I have to work for insurance and bills. My husband also got laid off 3 weeks ago. Enough of the blues...I do just try to take each day and make the best of it. Have been reading and listening to alot of cds; doing alot of research on our cancers. This board is absolutely fantastic. Such knowledgeable, kind, caring and funny people. I am also on the uterine discussion group.
    Thank you for your concern and info. Best to you on your endeavor.
    Kathy, too!

Hi Kathy!!
    ..It's nice to see you on this board!! Hey, cancer is cancer, right, no matter where it is with us, we're all in this together, and I'd love to see you still post with us! You sure are having it rough, as us all, but please don't let it get you down, keep that upbeat attitude and roll with the punches! you sound like a strong woman who can this cancer's butt, so anytime you're feeling down, just come here so we can all talk!

If you're doctor is being unsupportive, you should try seeing someone else, he's supposed to encourage you, not bring you down, and hopefully it will take more then just him to bring you down, just keep thinking positive, and I'd really see someone else.

Hope all is well otherwise, and hope to see more of you!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • kathybd
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Hi Kathy!!
    ..It's nice to see you on this board!! Hey, cancer is cancer, right, no matter where it is with us, we're all in this together, and I'd love to see you still post with us! You sure are having it rough, as us all, but please don't let it get you down, keep that upbeat attitude and roll with the punches! you sound like a strong woman who can this cancer's butt, so anytime you're feeling down, just come here so we can all talk!

If you're doctor is being unsupportive, you should try seeing someone else, he's supposed to encourage you, not bring you down, and hopefully it will take more then just him to bring you down, just keep thinking positive, and I'd really see someone else.

Hope all is well otherwise, and hope to see more of you!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Hi Donna
    The doctor I was talking about is the guy I work with. Have been looking for a different job, but that got put on hold with surgery and treatment. Fortunately for me, I have a great group treating me. My oncologist is also my surgeon who was recommended by my Ob/Gyn that also assisted him with my surgery. I feel very lucky to have this group.

And I also feel very fortunate to have you, and all the others responding to all my questions and concerns regarding my husband.

I was feeling a little down from the side effects from my chemo this week...but all of you have changed that! Thank you! Am off to wash my wig.

Best!
    Kathy
  • phoebe1017
    phoebe1017 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Avastin and CPT11
    I think I did both together about 5+ years ago. I know that I have done both. At first I was on FOLFOX with Avastin. I had no problems with the Avastin at all. It actually was instrumental in reducing the size of my liver mets so I was able to have surgery. One tumor was right on top of the hepatic artery so they cold not operate, after the chemo I was able to have surgery. After surgery I was on FUDR and CPT11 for a while (6 months?) then I have been on CPT11 with Erbitux for 3 years or so. Only until recently, over the past 9 months or so did I stop the CPT11. I had a lot of trouble with stomach cramping and constipation from it but I figured out what I had to do to control it and it was tolerable.

I'm glad he's agreed to the treatment, it can make a big difference.
    I hope this is helpful
    -phil

Surgery
    Phil

My husband was just diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer with mets to the liver. He has over a dozen tumors on his liver. He is on his 3rd round of FOLFOX, 5FU and Avastin. I'm curious to know how many liver tumors you had. His doctors have told him that surgery isn't an option at this point because there are too many tumors. I am hoping that the chemo reduces the tumors enough that he can have surgery. Did you have your primary tumor removed as well?

Thanks for all the info!

Jerryl
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Options

Surgery
    Phil

My husband was just diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer with mets to the liver. He has over a dozen tumors on his liver. He is on his 3rd round of FOLFOX, 5FU and Avastin. I'm curious to know how many liver tumors you had. His doctors have told him that surgery isn't an option at this point because there are too many tumors. I am hoping that the chemo reduces the tumors enough that he can have surgery. Did you have your primary tumor removed as well?

Thanks for all the info!

Jerryl

phoebe1017
    My sister was dx stage IV cc, with mets to liver and perit. She was initially a candidate for liver surgery but after being off chemo to have the surgery, the cancer spread and no not a candidate for surgery. Back on chemo. Curious if you have searched for other opinions and what they told you.
  • phoebe1017
    phoebe1017 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    sfmarie said:

phoebe1017
    My sister was dx stage IV cc, with mets to liver and perit. She was initially a candidate for liver surgery but after being off chemo to have the surgery, the cancer spread and no not a candidate for surgery. Back on chemo. Curious if you have searched for other opinions and what they told you.

We have only had 2 opinions
    We have only had 2 opinions at this time. The doctors warned us that he would have to be off the chemo for 2 weeks before and after surgery and they didn't think that would be a good idea because of the potential for the cancer to spread like your with your sister.