anybody have ?? about their dr?

Options
pokismom
pokismom Member Posts: 153
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, I'm a newbie, kind of shy, just like to read what all you nice people have to say, but lately I've been feeling so confused. I decided to get a 2nd opinion from this surgeon who came from M.D Anderson in my town. Well my first visit was like heaven he was so nice and attentive, then he went over my scan and said that he could try to remove my spots on my lungs but I would have to commit to 2 surgeries. Okay, so that was a shock to me because the previous surgeon said he couldn't do it and we should just do a biopsy and then chemo therapy. So we decided to meet again after he talked to my Onc. I then got called to do a Petscan, they wanted to check my liver to make sure it was okay. Well I went back to see the nice surgeon and he said my liver was clear but that we should do a biopsy and then the chemo. I'm guessing that this was after talking to my Onc. I feel confused and am wondering what are they not telling me, I have a call in to the surgeon to ask him, I guess I was so dumbfounded during the meeting I didnt ask why no surgery, well he hasn't called me back today so I'll call again tomorrow. My oncologist is always not saying anything to me and I have to press him to get an answer. I had a cat scan in July that showed the spots on my lungs and I was pressing him on what we should do, I was getting the impression that he wanted to wait so I confronted him and he said that would have been his plan for me to wait till we could do a needle biopsy. I insisted that we do something now so he sent me to the first surgeon. I was stage III , resection in 12/07 chemo 1/08- 7/08 and now spots on my lungs. I had folfox series with trial of erbitux. I'm thinking of switching oncologist, but all the good ones are in the same group. I feel like I'm going mental or something and I'm trying so hard to hold it together.
Donna

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna
    Wow...something

Hi Donna

Wow...something sounds wrong with that picture. I left my original oncologist of 5 years just a few months ago, because he wanted to do another needle biopsy on my lungs and they missed on a biopsy on my liver...and they wanted the $$$ up front, so I said - 2nd opinion.

I'm at a new place...they agree with me and don't want needle biopsy either. Rather we're going to do surgery and go for 2 spots on the pleura of my lung - the outside membrane surrounding the lungs.

I don't believe in doctors hiding or shielding us from the truth, we're all grown. So, I would highly consider looking for another onc.

You're where I am - if the do needle biopsy and it's cancer, then it's surgery...if they do needle biopsy and say it's clear...how do you believe them?

Go with your inner voice - it's telling you something...don't look back either after you make the break.

I want to know what happens here.

-Craig
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    A lot
    of people on this board will probably tell you to get as many opinions as necessary until you find a plan of action that suits you physically and emotionally, which is the best course of action.

It sounds like you take charge of your health, which is GREAT. Doctors sometime get too busy which causing them to relieve themselves from reality and oh yea, ask as many questions as necessary and make sure they (drs) provide a response.
  • pokismom
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Hi Donna
    Wow...something

Hi Donna

Wow...something sounds wrong with that picture. I left my original oncologist of 5 years just a few months ago, because he wanted to do another needle biopsy on my lungs and they missed on a biopsy on my liver...and they wanted the $$$ up front, so I said - 2nd opinion.

I'm at a new place...they agree with me and don't want needle biopsy either. Rather we're going to do surgery and go for 2 spots on the pleura of my lung - the outside membrane surrounding the lungs.

I don't believe in doctors hiding or shielding us from the truth, we're all grown. So, I would highly consider looking for another onc.

You're where I am - if the do needle biopsy and it's cancer, then it's surgery...if they do needle biopsy and say it's clear...how do you believe them?

Go with your inner voice - it's telling you something...don't look back either after you make the break.

I want to know what happens here.

-Craig

Thanks Craig
    Thanks Craig,
    I appreciate your comments. I met with this fantastic cancer survivor yesterday. She had breast cancer and mets to liver. She went through a heavy dose of chemo and then to city of hope for stem cell transplant. (not sure if thats what you call it) I called the surgeon today, and asked him what happened to the surgery and he said that the oncologist suggested that the best coarse of action would be
    biopsy and chemo. So I guess out of respect for them he opted for the biopsy, I scheduled it for September as I have been sitting on
    this too long. It's hard here because I live in Hawaii & getting a second opinion Im finding is not too easy because all the good doctors
    are in the same group, and they said they wouldnt do it because it is a conflict of interest. Im sure that my oncologist is very good but
    I feel I need someone who is a little more caring and explains. I have been feeling like this ever since I started this adventure but I guess I keep thinking that he's supposed to be one of the best. You know when I did my cat scan he didnt even look at it untill I was in the room with him and the whole time he was telling me that I was doing really good. It wasnt till after he asked me if I had a cat scan that he looked at it. I didnt feel like I was getting his full attention, I felt unsure of what had happened besides being in shock that I had
    these nodules on my lungs. For now no surgery for me just biopsy, but I have to do a surgical biopsy because the nodules are too small.
    Maybe one day will have them removed or hopefully they will disappear! I have a lot of hope most of the time! We cannot let them kill our spirits!!! We have to fight to live! Thank you again I really appreciate it!
    Donna
  • pokismom
    Options
    nudgie said:

A lot
    of people on this board will probably tell you to get as many opinions as necessary until you find a plan of action that suits you physically and emotionally, which is the best course of action.

It sounds like you take charge of your health, which is GREAT. Doctors sometime get too busy which causing them to relieve themselves from reality and oh yea, ask as many questions as necessary and make sure they (drs) provide a response.

Thanks Nudgie
    Thanks Nudgie,
    I am learning to take charge and ask lots of questions, well finally. I really appreciate your reply and I am grateful to have found this board.
    Donna