Tamoxifen....Again!

tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
BBC News Health page has a very interesting (Bloody Scary) item about tamoxifen and recurrence. Worth reading.
Jxxxxxx
«1

Comments

  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Wow.. that was
    Wow.. that was interesting... I have always heard that it is only prescribed for 5 years... I wonder how many people are on it longer than that.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I saw that article too.

    I saw that article too.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Article
    Is this the article about Tamoxifen and increased risk for estrogen/progesterone negative recurrence?
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    mimivac said:

    Article
    Is this the article about Tamoxifen and increased risk for estrogen/progesterone negative recurrence?

    It talks about a very aggressive, hard to treat recurrence in the other breast not dependent on estrogen due to tamoxifen. Yikes
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Tamox........
    Thankfully, I don't have to take that, but I do know someone who just was taken off after 10 years!
    Nancy
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Never did like that d**n
    Never did like that d**n drug however I think our saving grace is that the protocol for Canada and the U.S. is 2 1/2yrs on Tam and 2 1/2yrs on an AI. 2 1/2yrs on Tam would not be considered long term as the article does mention long term use. I don't know how it is in other countries but hopefully they will get up to speed on this issue. Thanks for the article Julia.

    jan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

    Never did like that d**n
    Never did like that d**n drug however I think our saving grace is that the protocol for Canada and the U.S. is 2 1/2yrs on Tam and 2 1/2yrs on an AI. 2 1/2yrs on Tam would not be considered long term as the article does mention long term use. I don't know how it is in other countries but hopefully they will get up to speed on this issue. Thanks for the article Julia.

    jan

    All of those hormone drugs
    All of those hormone drugs are kind of scary. But, tamox seems to really be the worse of them.

    Leeza
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    please
    someone send me the link to this article, i know it will scare the daylights out of my tomox taking hiney but maybe I should read it
    tj

    just pm it to me if you can
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    tjhay said:

    please
    someone send me the link to this article, i know it will scare the daylights out of my tomox taking hiney but maybe I should read it
    tj

    just pm it to me if you can

    This is the link to the article Tj
    Tamoxifen Link To Second Tumor


    ♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    susie09 said:

    This is the link to the article Tj
    Tamoxifen Link To Second Tumor


    ♠♣ Susie ♠♣

    Very scary. That is why I
    Very scary. That is why I haven't started taking it yet. Thanks for the link Susie!

    Hugs
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508

    Never did like that d**n
    Never did like that d**n drug however I think our saving grace is that the protocol for Canada and the U.S. is 2 1/2yrs on Tam and 2 1/2yrs on an AI. 2 1/2yrs on Tam would not be considered long term as the article does mention long term use. I don't know how it is in other countries but hopefully they will get up to speed on this issue. Thanks for the article Julia.

    jan

    What was I thinking!!!
    What was I thinking!!! Premenopausal women DO take Tamoxifen for 5 yrs. Yes it is scary!
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655

    Very scary. That is why I
    Very scary. That is why I haven't started taking it yet. Thanks for the link Susie!

    Hugs

    Thank you
    thank you for posting the link, I printed the artical so with it and the other info I have found my oncono and I will be having a nice long talk about my taking this med. Might be time for tj tantrum to show herself at the appt. will have to see what he says first though.
    tj
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    tjhay said:

    Thank you
    thank you for posting the link, I printed the artical so with it and the other info I have found my oncono and I will be having a nice long talk about my taking this med. Might be time for tj tantrum to show herself at the appt. will have to see what he says first though.
    tj

    Oh Dear!
    I just can't feel right about this. I got my doc to change my antidepressants onto lexapro last week, but they are way to low a dose, I think the best thing to do for now is skip the tamoxifen and go onto zoloft again. This is just too scary. Without the happy-pills I feel I am slipping into a more dangerous place than cancer. Back to zoloft tonight and meeting with onco and doc next week... Man, as if I don't have enough headaches! LOL

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Thanks Tasha
    I'm suppose to start in a few weeks and have really been looking into all the data on tamoxifen. It is enough to mess with your head! I am still leaning towards the benefit outweighing the side effects at this point and have discussed switching to an AI in 18 months with my Oncologist. So far, this sounds like a doable plan. Pammy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    tjhay said:

    Thank you
    thank you for posting the link, I printed the artical so with it and the other info I have found my oncono and I will be having a nice long talk about my taking this med. Might be time for tj tantrum to show herself at the appt. will have to see what he says first though.
    tj

    You're welcome Tj. Between
    You're welcome Tj. Between this and you can't be on antidepressants, tamox is looking pretty awful. Yikes if TJ Tantrum shows up! lol

    ♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Akiss4me said:

    Thanks Tasha
    I'm suppose to start in a few weeks and have really been looking into all the data on tamoxifen. It is enough to mess with your head! I am still leaning towards the benefit outweighing the side effects at this point and have discussed switching to an AI in 18 months with my Oncologist. So far, this sounds like a doable plan. Pammy

    Yikes!
    What else can I say? :-(


    Lex♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    tasha_111 said:

    Oh Dear!
    I just can't feel right about this. I got my doc to change my antidepressants onto lexapro last week, but they are way to low a dose, I think the best thing to do for now is skip the tamoxifen and go onto zoloft again. This is just too scary. Without the happy-pills I feel I am slipping into a more dangerous place than cancer. Back to zoloft tonight and meeting with onco and doc next week... Man, as if I don't have enough headaches! LOL

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Tasha
    Good luck with your onco appt. Tasha. Isn't zoloft one of the bad antidepressants that double your chance of a recurence with tamox? Please Tasha, don't gamble with your life.

    ♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Alexis F said:

    Yikes!
    What else can I say? :-(


    Lex♥

    Talk to your doctor
    Hello everyone. I have been on tamoxifen for 7 months. it is not fan, but because I was estrogen positive there is no choice for girls under 50. I think it is very risky just not to take pills, especially for estrogen positive who still having periods after Chemo treatments. Talk to your doctor!
    New Flower
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

    Never did like that d**n
    Never did like that d**n drug however I think our saving grace is that the protocol for Canada and the U.S. is 2 1/2yrs on Tam and 2 1/2yrs on an AI. 2 1/2yrs on Tam would not be considered long term as the article does mention long term use. I don't know how it is in other countries but hopefully they will get up to speed on this issue. Thanks for the article Julia.

    jan

    Why can't everyone just go
    Why can't everyone just go on the Al's and not mess with tamox?

    Hugs, Diane ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    DianeBC said:

    Why can't everyone just go
    Why can't everyone just go on the Al's and not mess with tamox?

    Hugs, Diane ♥

    AIs versus Tamoxifen
    Well, for those women who are premenapausal, Tamoxifen is what is prescribed. It prevents the body from using its estrogen to make breast cancer cells. AIs require women to be in menapause and it works by further reducing the amount of estrogen in the body. Premenapausal women cannot use AIs unless they have either their ovaries taken out or take a drug like Lupron that suppresses their ovary function. This can be an issue for younger women who wish to become pregnant at a later date. For instance, I would not be comfortable having my ovaries removed right now... Unfortunately, there are alot of issues for both Tamoxifen and AIs

    Mimi