Rads

mberg
mberg Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm still pretty new to this dx july 2nd. I started chemo the 15th how long after chemo do I have surgery? is it up to the dr? then i really know nothing about radiation except my onco told my i will have it. how does it work? can you go to work while having radiation? how tires sick etc am i going to be. I work in a hospital surrounded by people who cant cover their mouths when they cough, are you more succeptable to infection on rads? I am so confused! any advice? monica

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    RADS
    In my experience radiation was nothing compared to chemo. some skin issues, no increased suseptibility to illness. I di dge dental cavities from change in saliva, the may tell you different now, that was 14 years ago. i will bw getting rads on the other side now have already started my prescrition fluoride toothpaste.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Your oncologist will decide
    Your oncologist will decide when you are ready for surgery. I don't know if there is a set time. Radiation kills any stray cancer cells that might be left from surgery. Most people do work while they have rads, not all. You don't get sick, you do get a lil tired, but, if you get lots of rest, you will be fine. You might get a little burnt, some do, some don't. But, they will give you lots of creams to help with that. You will also have an appointment with your radiation oncologist. He will go over everything with you! You might want to write all of these questions down and make an appt. with your oncologist to help you thru this. Good luck.