CEA has dropped into "normal" range

Options
KFen725
KFen725 Member Posts: 108 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
So, when my mom was diagnosed Stage IV in June of this year BEFORE she had her colonectomy, her CEA level was 86. A month later, just before starting chemo, it was 7.8. Now, after 2 sessions of FOLFOX & Avastin, it has dropped to 3.2!!

We are taking this as a good sign, as her initial level was significantly high.

Her first followup scan will be in about 2-3 weeks, so we will see what is going on. She initially had 3 liver mets (1 golf ball size, 2 smaller) visible on her CT, so we are praying & believing that she will have a great report after the scan.

Any thoughts from all of you out there?

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Good signs......
    Usually a low or drop in CEA level is indicative of a drop in cancer cell "activity". It sounds as if the treatments are doing their job. CEA is not conclusive in everyone so there is a chance that it is just coincidental but I would think theres better news coming...Hopefully so...Good luck to you and yours
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hopeful!
    That sounds very hopeful!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Hopeful!
    That sounds very hopeful!

*hugs*
    Gail

Kfen
    It looks good. You and your Mom deserve some good news. I hope all is well and you and your Mom are in high spirits. You are always in my corner and I am in yours. I will be praying for both of you.

Eric
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    Signs are looking positive!
    and I hope that they continue that way for your mom and you. Thank you for keeping us posted on how your mom is doing, and I hope you are doing well too.

Leslie
  • KFen725
    KFen725 Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    What an awesome support system this group is. So thankful I found this board!! Thanks for all the encouragement. Like Eric said, we're all in each other's cheering sections! :)
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    By reading your
    post it sounds like things are working and moving into the right direction. Keep the faith and all will work out in the end.

Also, keep your family here posted on how she is doing and don't ever hesitate to ask question or just to vent.

WE ARE HERE ALWAYS :)
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    2nd the Motion...
    It sounds very good to me. When CEAs are high and then you see a drop, in my mind the CEAs are a valid for that individual and that is a great drop in levels.

Such good news in a very short time indeed - excellent.

Thanks for the update and continued best of luck to you both.

-Craig
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    I am sure the chemo is doing
    I am sure the chemo is doing its job.I think the CEA dropping is really a good sign.Anyway best wishes and best luck to your mom with her coming up scan.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator