start DD AC chemo friday,a couple of questions

Options
xskeetshooter
xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
first i want to thank you all for all your support , god bless all..i like to know how it feels when the chemo is first going thru your veins, i live alone i have a girlfriend that will stay with me at my place the first night of chemo, she has a husband and child at home or should i go to my 75 year old ma ( you wouldnt know it )my mom will be with me thru the chemo , but i have been trying to shield her from all this,,,haha dont work. then i thought she might worry more without being there

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    It depends...
    on several factors, but generally speaking, it is not much of a 'feeling' at all when the infusion begins.
    Your onco may add a nausea med and/or a light sedative to the infusion, in which case you will feel drowsy soon after the treatment begins. Go with the feeling. Lie back and relax. Doze off if you can. But if you are alert and feeling 'chipper', then chat with your fellow infusion-mates or read or listen to music. Some treatment centers are equipped with all kinds of things to make you comfortable and help the time pass as pleasantly as possible. You will be fine.
    God bless.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Skeetshooter
    Your well on your way once you start treatment. It's good that you have your friend and your Mom with you. I started my chemo treatments back in June and still have 10 more to go before my surgery. I had no problems receiving the chemo. I just brought a book with me or you can bring whatever you like to keep busy during treatment. Music is relaxing also! They even had a TV to watch if I wanted to. Please bring your friend or Mom with you. On the first day I brought my daughter to keep me company. It was very comporting! Plus the nurses where wonderful and kept a close watch to make sure I didn't have a allergic reaction to the meds. You will do great I know!! Keep in touch and let us know how it went! Hugs to you! Diane
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    I had my first chemo 2 weeks
    I had my first chemo 2 weeks ago. In my case there really wasn't a feeling when the infusion began. I did get a steriod along with some anti-nausea medication before the chemo drugs. My daughter who is 23 years old and was very scared went with me and after she saw that it was nothing like she had envisioned, she was fine. We sat there the entire time and talked between outselves along with another lady receiving chemo next to me. It was as pleasant an experience as it could have been. You'll be fine and please let us know how it goes.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

I had my first chemo 2 weeks
    I had my first chemo 2 weeks ago. In my case there really wasn't a feeling when the infusion began. I did get a steriod along with some anti-nausea medication before the chemo drugs. My daughter who is 23 years old and was very scared went with me and after she saw that it was nothing like she had envisioned, she was fine. We sat there the entire time and talked between outselves along with another lady receiving chemo next to me. It was as pleasant an experience as it could have been. You'll be fine and please let us know how it goes.

Skeet,
    Like you, I was a little afraid about the chemo first hitting my veins -- I half expected, I dunno, scary orchestra music like in the movies or something. :-)

It felt the tiniest bit cold for the first minute, but nothing else at all. The Benadryl that they put in the first IV made me very sleepy, so I just dozed through most of it.

Traci
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Skeet,
    Like you, I was a little afraid about the chemo first hitting my veins -- I half expected, I dunno, scary orchestra music like in the movies or something. :-)

It felt the tiniest bit cold for the first minute, but nothing else at all. The Benadryl that they put in the first IV made me very sleepy, so I just dozed through most of it.

Traci

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck!

Want to wish you well.
    Stef

Want to wish you well.
    Stef
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Wishing you well
    You sound like you are ready. I have a feeling you will be fine! Keep us posted. Pammy
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    Options
    thank you all,
    this has helped me with my fears,,god bless
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with the
    Can't help you with the information, but wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you! Hang in there..

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    taleena said:

Can't help you with the
    Can't help you with the information, but wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you! Hang in there..

♥ & hugs,

~T

I will keep you in my
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    DianeBC said:

I will keep you in my
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs, Diane ♥

Best of luck
    know that we

Best of luck
    know that we will all be thinking of you and that in spirit you will not be alone.
    tj